Can it be the famous Head Gaskets?

DavidM

Alright Gentlemen, (I'll try and keep it short :eek: )

While taking the car out for a spin, I've noticed the Water Temp stays at about 180-190 for about 10 minutes, then jumps up to 200+. When at a stop light it might jump to 210-220, but once I get moving it brings itself back down. (Started recently)

The fans are on and working, there is no leaks or damaged hoses. Radiator is topped off with Coolant and RMI-25. My next step was to bleed air from the radiator and check Thermostat. I took the car to my parent's house to get some work done on the issue. Temp was high around 210. By the time I got there the resevoir was 1/2 full and the water was boiling. :mad:
I proceded to check the Engine Oil Dipstick, only to find runny, dark/chocolaty oil.
(Picture Attached)
Imageshack - img00122200906281636

Could this be signs of a blown Head Gasket?

Note : I kept driving the car for the reason of thinking there was a fault with the Thermostat. I live in Arizona where the weather has been 110.

UPDATE

I just noticed that the fans are actually not turning on. They were a couple of days ago when I first checked it. They would turn on when the keys were in the "ON" position, and when the car was in the IDLE position. Now it does neither. I usually disconnect the battery connection at night to prevent the car from being stolen by a rookie thief. I've also noticed that the RPM/BOOST light no longer work as well. As far as the engine oil goes, do we all agree that it is a blown Head Gasket?

No, looks like dirty oil to me. Coolant in the oil will usually be a tan color similar to coffee with creamer in it. Fix the fans. Check power to them with a volt meter when the car is 170 degrees or so, if you have power it may be the ground on the rear of the pass side head. Your fan could also be bad, try to put power directly to it with a good ground.

John

+2 on the dirty oil look. Coolant in the oil will look like coffee with milk. fix the fans, then see if it cools then.