Can anyone tell me how this thing works?

Unless you really have a need to run a stock style looking FP, this is silly.
At first - I thought it was a can crimper, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like it uses that brass attachment to the vacuum port.
Even though I built the test stands for the crimping machine, I'm sort of clueless how they exact more pressure without further crimping the diaphram portion of the can.
Like the set up machine did - or a socket and a hammer.
It's still silly, but I realize you were probably more curious about how it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back before adjustable regulators, we used to put a gauge on the fuel rail with the car running and the hose off, and put a 3/4 in. socket on the top of the regulator. Then hit it with a hammer, looking at the gauge. It would be idling at 34 PSI, and when you hit the top and slightly cave in the regulator, the PSI would go up. We'd hit it until the gauge read 43 PSI, then put the hose back on. Ran great and cost nothing.

Seems like I remember guys putting them in a vice and crushing them for the same effect. Mash it a little, put it on and test--mash a little more--ooops! Too much.

Well I would pay $115 to avoid let's say.....a fire, a loose piston, a multi piece head gasket, its just a 3500 lb missile.... $6 should be a wise investment.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I rember those regulators bursting. Beware.

More than just curious Berg - 6 dollars vs. 115 for the one from Kirbans.

Oh no.
Don't buy it for that reason.
No offense to Jay - but it's a dinosaur.
Save your nickels for a real Adj FP Reg.
And it's not super pretty. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back before adjustable regulators, we used to put a gauge on the fuel rail with the car running and the hose off, and put a 3/4 in. socket on the top of the regulator. Then hit it with a hammer, looking at the gauge. It would be idling at 34 PSI, and when you hit the top and slightly cave in the regulator, the PSI would go up. We'd hit it until the gauge read 43 PSI, then put the hose back on. Ran great and cost nothing.

Yes.
I built the test stands for their FPs.
We used a vertically mounted electric stepper motor with ball screw and piece of tooling to crimp the top portion of the can - while monitoring pressure on a feedback loop to PLC.
What we found is we had to program a skew factor or overshoot, due to the can bouncing back a little after the initial crimp.
Sometimes, if we undershot, the machine would give it a second crimp.
Sometimes - ahhh crap...too much
It was a little more art than science in getting them set.
But same concept.
I can't see how this device changes the setting - but I haven't given it a great deal of thought either.
It looked like a crimper - but the plunger and valve body thing made me think otherwise.

No offense taken--I still have all of my old stock FP regulators (uncrushed and unmolested;)) gathering dust along with the Bowling Green down pipe...

Posts above are accurate.....it was just one version of an early attempt to bump fuel pressure. here is some more info and early history on the topic. Another version I believe marketed by the second owner of Bowling Green Customs and also I think made by Accel or Mallory consisted of a very fine ithreaded insert in the top vacuum port that would apply pressure

This worked to some degree but because of the format would easily strip out.

We got involved with adjustable fuel pressure regulators around 1990 or so matter of fact same company still makes them for us today. Our first version used the stock black regulator and a new top portion was installed with the adjustment. You can still see these today on various turbo regals.

It was around this same time one of the largest Mustang companies approached us about making them for the 5.0 engines as they were having problems with the ones they were buying from other sources. Again I can't remember. We then started to make them for the Mustang the standard 3 mount version replacing just the top.

Before long we were selling several hundred a month which made sense for us to make the entire fuel regulator machined from scratch. We first had the Mustang ones done then of course the turbo Buicks. This was probably about 10-12 years back. (We also make 4 versions for Porsche cars as well). To date we have sold over 25,000 mustang ones....course unlikely those owners have any inkling a Buick company has them made!

If you are familiar with the 5.0 engine one reason ours is the one most recommend is two fold....the diaphragm is virtually indistruckable and since our billet one is identical in size to the factory one it fits over 13 different mustang intakes as they can have clearance issues with some of the aftermarket intakes.

We also did a second version for the Mustang that is a 2 bolt mount.

The Buick one also fits the Syclone and Thyphoon as well.

Course sales are a lot slower now since almost every 5.0 Mustang has already been modified.

So there is the quick history lesson on the adjustable fuel regulators.

My name does not appear on any of them

We also have a race one that has been tested on a Viper putting out 1,000 hp...

One of our Porsche ones was on a Porsche for a woman that held the record for a woman for top average speed around 1995 on that 90 mile strip in Nevada where they close off the road. Can't member what they call that event but her Porsche used our regulator.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

That is some great TR history, Dennis. I still run one of your aluminum top regulators in my car today, and it is still going strong!

Here are some pictures of the GM FPR test stands . Old stuff still making parts for service. Heisenburg you worked in Rochester NY in the 80's ??? Because that's when our machines were built and we made all of the GM FPR's All of our machines were made locally, Alliance, P&R, Liberty, & Hansford machine. Here are some pictures.

Can't get the pics off of my phone right now I'll try later

Attachments

• 1390322205309.jpg
    1390322205309.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1390322228800.jpg
    1390322228800.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 88