Can anyone identify this turbocharged Buick V6?

Scorp965

00000008.jpg

Hmmmmmm.........

I really don't know, but I'm gonna guess it's one of the pre '84 carbed hot air setups.

Perhaps a 'mod list' will help? He claims the following:

Forged pistons, rods, crank
Performance cam, valves, lifters
Upgraded harmonic balancer
Ported aluminum intake
Upgraded high flow waterpump

This engine was completely blueprinted and built for maximum power.

This engine is producing nearly 280 net hp and nearly 350 ft.lbs of torque. Engine can run up to 25 lbs of boost safely.Its been set at about 10 lbs of boost since being built and this car moves.

The car is (obviously) carb'd and is not intercooled (as far as I could tell).

I am in agreement with Sleeper-6, a carbed pre fuel injected, more than likely an 83 model. He definately did a lot of work to get this one in.

That's a carb'd turbo 3.8. Most likely out of a 79-82 Turbo Regal/Coupe.
That Porche must handle terribly!! That's a huge amount of weight to be hanging out the back of one of them.

I'd love to see it, but the link comes up empty (work firewall?). I tried re-attaching it here, but the image won't come up, just the link. :mad: I thought we could attach images?

Pass the flag!!

" Engine can run up to 25 lbs of boost safely."

Where's that BS flag?? I had it, but someone else has been using it. Will the person that has it, please wave it??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by b4black
I'd love to see it, but the link comes up empty (work firewall?). I tried re-attaching it here, but the image won't come up, just the link. :mad: I thought we could attach images?
Pic was too big?

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 81
Chuck, that's a hot air setup so 25 psi isn't really that much. Probably a little too much for 93 octane but not for 100. Course it depends on how the heads flow and what size turbo, but not blatantly bs :).

works filter says page cannot be seen because:
"Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Sex;Adult Material" "
:eek:

Re: Pass the flag!!

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
" Engine can run up to 25 lbs of boost safely."

Where's that BS flag?? I had it, but someone else has been using it. Will the person that has it, please wave it??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's a direct quote from the seller, the boost is adjustable and the motor was fully built to run those kinds of boost levels.

The idea of a motor with this much power (dyno proven) sitting directly on top of the rear wheels of a 2000lb. car sounds interesting, I think I am going to buy it...

It's a pre-ECM Carb/turbo - 1979/80 most likely.

A stock block can handle that boost if it doesn't detonate, but it will. Ask yourself why they are running 10 psi if it can run 25. I think they mean the engine could handle it if the turbo could supply that. The stock turbocharger probably isn't efficient enough to put out more than 18-19. If it's been reworked, it could put out 25 psi on race gas.

I'd be interested to know what coniditions it ran 280 HP. That's a obtainable flywheel number if they were suppressing knock somehow. My '83 runs 260 flywheel with 16 psi and alcohol injection.

Sounds cool if it's true and not embelished numbers. :)

Originally posted by b4black
It's a pre-ECM Carb/turbo - 1979/80 most likely.

A stock block can handle that boost if it doesn't detonate, but it will. Ask yourself why they are running 10 psi if it can run 25. I think they mean the engine could handle it if the turbo could supply that. The stock turbocharger probably isn't efficient enough to put out more than 18-19. If it's been reworked, it could put out 25 psi on race gas.

I'd be interested to know what coniditions it ran 280 HP. That's a obtainable flywheel number if they were suppressing knock somehow. My '83 runs 260 flywheel with 16 psi and alcohol injection.

Sounds cool if it's true and not embelished numbers. :)

I will ask him about the turbo, what size is the factory turbo on these motors? I was able to find a scanned brochure on the motor online via a google search, but it doesn't go into detail on the turbo - is this a conventional unit or is it a specially designed turbo by Buick?

Well I bought it...

It is currently being shipped and I should see it around July 6th. I will post pics & dyno charts when it arrives :D

Get this... insurance with full coverage is only $88/mo.! That's about a third of what I was paying when I owned my BMW M3.