Can anyone help on a Ford Taurus question, Please.

Quick6

My wifes 2000 Taurus wagon has 66K on it and it runs fine, no driveability problems, but it did sit for about 3 months without being driven other than me starting it a few times and letting it idle. When she went back to driveing it the car had a check engine light and since I have no scanner for a Ford I took it over to a local AutoZone where they will pop the code with a scanner.
The code showed to be an emissions evap code?? maybe it was from sitting, I don't know and once again no driveability problems. So the code was cleared and has not returned. Now here is the problem, after this was done I now get the air bag light lit and this happened right after the code clearing of the emissions code? Here's what happens, when you start the car the airbag light comes on and goes off like normal and when you drive the car and your mph goes above about 9~10 mph the light comes back on and stays on until you speed drops to less than 10mph or you come to a stop at which time it will go back out.
I took the car home and disconnected the battery to try and reset the ECM, this I did help and the problem went away for about 10 miles of driving and then the same syptoms returned again. Has anyone had this type of problem on a Ford, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!!:)

Bob

Bob,

My wife has a Taurus. And around 75,000 miles or so the light came on and stayed on. Like yours the drivability never changed so we ignored it. A bunch of miles later it went off and hasn't been back on.

I never did find out what it was but someone told me that car manufacturers program that the light come on at so many miles so you have to take the car in for servicing of the emissions crap.

I have no idea if the above is really true so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by Quick6
My wifes 2000 Taurus wagon has 66K on it and it runs fine, no driveability problems, but it did sit for about 3 months without being driven other than me starting it a few times and letting it idle. When she went back to driveing it the car had a check engine light and since I have no scanner for a Ford I took it over to a local AutoZone where they will pop the code with a scanner.
The code showed to be an emissions evap code?? maybe it was from sitting, I don't know and once again no driveability problems. So the code was cleared and has not returned. Now here is the problem, after this was done I now get the air bag light lit and this happened right after the code clearing of the emissions code? Here's what happens, when you start the car the airbag light comes on and goes off like normal and when you drive the car and your mph goes above about 9~10 mph the light comes back on and stays on until you speed drops to less than 10mph or you come to a stop at which time it will go back out.
I took the car home and disconnected the battery to try and reset the ECM, this I did help and the problem went away for about 10 miles of driving and then the same syptoms returned again. Has anyone had this type of problem on a Ford, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!!:)

Bob

Problems arent related. The evap code was probably due to filling the tank with the engine running, or putting the gas cap on incorrectly. The air bag light, tough to say without trouble codes.

Thanks Jim, I know the evap problem is solved, but when I have seen an airbag light before indicating a problem, its always on. This one comes on at 10mph or above and goes out below, this is what seems strange.:confused:

If I get the codes popped on this, will the airbag light have a code for a possible location of the problem, similar to engine management type codes?? Thanks

Re: Re: Can anyone help on a Ford Taurus question, Please.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Problems arent related. The evap code was probably due to filling the tank with the engine running, or putting the gas cap on incorrectly. The air bag light, tough to say without trouble codes.

Bingo, Jim here we can again LOL. Let us know what code you get from he airbag get it pulled.