can a new servo cause heat issues?

MNwe4

I had an issue where on my recently built transmission the 2-3 shift was binding. There was a noticeable grab and the car would nose down. My local builder replaced the servo and spring and this problem seems fixed or at least much better. However, I swear that I'm now seeing 10-15 degree higher trans temps when rolling down the highway. I have a 9.5 non lock PTC by the way, but the only change this time was the servo. To my memory the temps used to stabilize at 180 and now it's more like 195, but if I make a pull it climbs to around 205 and has trouble coming back down until I get into slow traffic or stop. I know that non lock spragless converters will make more heat, but could this servo swap possibly result in what I'm seeing? I have a cooler and will invest in a better one, but I don't want it to be a bandaid if there's an underlying issue.

The short answer is no. If trans is working properly and not slipping like all hell, then it can't be the source of any measurable extra Heat. This is also assuming they didn't mess with nonlock valvetrain, etc.

Ok, thanks. Trans seems to be shifting normally. Servo and spring swap was the only change.

what did you set the band clearance at? could the band be slipping? or not releasing?

I didn't build it and am no trans expert by any means. Just noticed that it's running warmer than I'd like and the only thing recently changed was the servo. It had a 2-3 bind issue before the servo swap and now it's much improved/gone. Oh and I put on the slightly larger, but much sticker drag radials. Wonder if the increase in rolling resistance would be noticeable. The converter is a spragless non lock, so I know it's going to make heat. Otherwise I'd say it feels like it's operating reasonably well. I plan to add a larger, more efficient cooler, but wanted to go over this possibility first. Thanks.