Camshaft sensor question

The Hall Effect sensor that is in the cap can fail. They also wear where the thrust washer rides on the bottom of the body. This causes the shutter to cut a groove in the cap.

RemoveBeforeFlight

besides the cap which is a hall effect sensor
sensor uses a magnet that gets weaker with age and will fail faster if the reluctor ring is tapping it
wires can wear and go open from vibration flexing

the screw holding reluctor wheel loosens and then the alignment tab shears off and the reluctor spins--goes out of sync
the roll pin can shears on the cam gear ( it breaks and falls apart) , oil pump still works but sensor goes out of sync
the cam gear teeth can wear
when the aluminum body wears above the wave washer the thrust clearance gets wider ...the sensor rotates as cam gear rises and then sensor can go out of sync
bushing in body wears and sensor shaft gets wobbly

Ok, I'm trying to troubleshoot my no start issue. I followed a flow chart which pointed me at the ccci module which i replaced. No luck. Went through the troubleshoot again and the cam and crank sensor voltages aren't really varying. They are giving me 5-6 volts pretty steady. Is that normal. I'm getting no spark and no injector pulse. The car was running, check engine came on. After parking the car it would not and still will not start.

was a code stored with the SES light

the crank sensor works same as cam sensor
heres instructions to see pics and explain how to set cam sensor ... http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm
if you had a test light (or volt meter ) on the center wire you can see the sensor work as it gets into the open window of the reluctor ring

remove the cap and check that the cam sensor reluctor window does not spin freely of the shaft

if it doesnt spin at all while cranking its possible the timing chain broke
if sensor ring does spin while cranking it could still be out of setting ..it may have slipped due to timing chain jumping worn or broken cam gear teeth (stock timing gear is nylon covered aluminum)

you need crank and cam sensor to function to start the ignition and injector firing sequence
loss of cam sensor and car will still run but it wont restart..if it works but moves out of sync it can move enough to trigger the wrong coil and you will experience a loud backfire pop and then usually stops running
loss of crank sensor and car will stop running and will not restart

you can visually check the crank sensor and see if the reluctor ring on the crankshaft balancer wobbled and hit the sensor (check for broken sensor)
and you should see same voltages if you use a volmeter on center wire and spin engine
heres instructions... http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/cranksensor.htm