camshaft replacment procedures?

HeavyRightFoot

Im in the middle of trying to swap my cam out, spun the #3 lobe. Just curious if there is a certain procedure to taking everything apart i.e. cam sensor, timing gears, etc. Can I just mark everything once its at TDC or is there a better way? Thanks for the help.

Ok, #3E wiped, right? There's metal in the engine, and you need to get it out of there. Have you pulled the engine, or is this in-car fix?

Pull the engine, and do it right. Putting the cam in there now without getting the trash out of the engine is a sure recipe for disaster.....

Its in the car still, I live in an apartment so there is no hope of pulling the engine. 99% of the trash left the engine when it spewed the oil all over the road, which is what caused the cam to wipe out in the first place. It was then towed back to my apartment where the oil was flushed and changed many times. There is no debris in the filter.

at least pull the pan and clean it and the pickup screen out. Since you will have the valve covers and intake off you will have access to lots of oil areas that should be cleaned out. There is already trash in the system that most of should be stuck in the filter and or screen. Do the best you can - I know some people that have got lucky.

pull the cam sensor and since the balancer will be pulled - mark it 25* ATDC - I think, check it out on the GN T-Type Org web site - for cam sensor set up on reassembly.

Water pump does not need to come off - comes off with the front cover.

Make sure via, finger in spark plug hole, that you are at TDC on #1 compression stroke.

Do not use chain tensioner if you use a double roller

I still say pull it- take it to a friend's house, or something. If you're going to do it in the car, then don't forget to get a new radiator, or bypass the oil cooler- oil cooler is in the radiator, and there's no way to properly clean it.

Also, (as Blown mentioned) pull the pan and check for debris. Clean the pan and the screen.

As for the cam, it's really pretty easy- rotate the engine to TDC on #1. Pull the oil pan, rad, IC, front cover, and intake. Pull the valve covers, rocker assembly, and pushrods. Remove the lifters.

Remove the timing chain tensioner. Check that the timing mark on the crank is straight up. Remove the cam gear and the timing set. Carefully remove the cam.

Before you start reassembly, make sure you clean and check EVERYTHING, especially the bearings.

Assembly is the reverse of removal, Setting the timing- use the gnttype reference material. Good luck!