Camaro swap

TurboBuickSix

With a Turbo buick you don't need high rpm to make killer horsepower.It's the small motor that thinks it's a bigblock.It is also very durable,I used to have a 70 LT1 Z28,I gave it all up in favor of turbobuicks and I will NEVER look back! It is a whole new world and if you put an intercooled motor in your camaro you WILL have the fastest camaro possible without using the 502.Ask around how many guys got over a hundred grand on the odometers and run in the 11's and 12's.There are shockingly quite a few.You have stumbled on to a great idea and If you follow thru you will see you could not have made a better choice.If you have big bucks and don't mind a big project think of putting a pair of turbos on a smallblock chevy,it has been done.

Oh yeah the chevy v6's are the same as used in the syclone and the typhoon (turbo trucks)but they are said to not be as durable as the buick 6.It seems like you are looking to go into the 10's with the power you seek and I don't think the chevy 6 would lend itself to that abuse as good as the buick.You could ask on the sy/ty boards tho.

TurboBuickSix-

read his post again, says nothing about chevy v-6. He is talking about twin turbo SMALL BLOCK chevy engine!! Not trying to flame or anything just don't want you to be mislead. Yes the twin turbo chevy has been done, as a matter of fact there is one in the special August edition of GMHTP on page 72 bottom left corner. Mike Moran is also doing a quad(4:eek: )turbo big block chevy build up in Popular Hot Rodding!

Wish I could re-read his post but it was deleted for some reason.I am sorry if I mis-understood,I thought he was talking about using the sy/ty motor.
And yes I have seen twin turbo sbc's,just thought he was looking for a production type setup.

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
Wish I could re-read his post but it was deleted for some reason.I am sorry if I mis-understood,I thought he was talking about using the sy/ty motor.
And yes I have seen twin turbo sbc's,just thought he was looking for a production type setup.

Here you go!

Swap Opinions
Aright guys, I've been searching for a motor to swap into my '68 Camaro in place of the V8...I wanna drop in a smaller motor that will turn RPM (7000+) and take some boost. I've been looking at the Buick turbo motor, and it just seems like the motors aren't bulletproof enough to take high RPM. I know that if I drop in a GNX motor and leave it, I'll have a fast ride...but I want a little more than that. I want it high tech, yet not as exclusive as say...a ferrari, meaning i want to be able to find parts for it. What do you guys think about the modern Chevy/GMC V6s? Are they up to the task of withstanding 15-20 lbs of boost and winding up to 7000+? I know that if i dropped in a new L6 and turbo'd it, that would be the ideal setup...but I would have to get MAD HOOKED UP to stumble upon such a sweet setup...because i havent seen crate motors available yet. Plus, I doubt anyone would invest in grinding cams for a SUV only motor.

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops-now I feel like an a*$

Well I was the one not paying attention. I read your first post turbobuicksix. Did not pay attention to the fact that you posted back to back!! My bad, slow 85 corrected me. I don't think the chevy v-6 will withstand the boost very long if racing it, I may be wrong!! Sorry!!

Re: Whoops-now I feel like an a*$

Originally posted by 6pack
Well I was the one not paying attention. I read your first post turbobuicksix. Did not pay attention to the fact that you posted back to back!! My bad, slow 85 corrected me. I don't think the chevy v-6 will withstand the boost very long if racing it, I may be wrong!! Sorry!!

Sh!t happens,never a problem here we all make mistakes.:)