Camaro slaughtered me

toomanymodz

So, my buddy and I were over at his house when we heard a pretty nasty sounding motor several blocks away and decided to go investigate. We saw a 1st-gen camaro in a driveway and I horse sneezed as we went by. The guy was topping off the racing gas so we backed the car up and started talking. He said his car runs around 11.70's off the NOS so it sounded like a good match up. So we agreed to do a little 'test run'.

I followed him onto the highway and I could smell the racing gas, hear the cackle of the huge racing cam, the slicks, the roll cage, rear girdle etc. The reality began to sink in... this guy is way faster than high 11's. What the heck, this was for fun anyways, right?

So we lined up on the highway and went from a slow roll. My boost hit 20# and the MT drag radials lit up in smoke. I started fish tailing left and right so I backed it off a bit. I hit the gas again and he came around me like I was standing still. He's probably more like mid 10's off the NOS and high 9's on the juice.

We went back to his place and it turns out he's running a big block 427 with Brodix heads, high compression, powerglide etc. A 3200 lb car that was actually a really clean looking car with mostly stock suspension. It made me want my old 540 BBC again. I told him that I'm having a new engine built and he agreed to a re-match once I get it in. It'll be a few months from now but I'll post an update of the re-match.

Yah....that car runs a hell of alot better then high 11's from the looks of the launch alone.

Yeah, but does it have a/c and get 23mpg's? Bet not. That's why I got rid of my 9 sec chevy II and now drive a GN:D

Yeah, but does it have a/c and get 23mpg's? Bet not. That's why I got rid of my 9 sec chevy II and now drive a GN:D

Probably not, but it looks like more of a race car anyways. And a quick one at that judging by the 2nd vid. If that's indeed a 427 big block I'm impressed.

My dad also has a '68 Camaro, a factory SS396 model too, except the 396 blew up a long time ago so a 400 sbc takes it's place. Still has the factory Muncie 4 speed and 12 bolt too. But not anywhere as fast as the one in the vid.

A stock ZZ502 can push a 68 Camaro into the high 10's if it's set up properly...that's without the bottle...:biggrin:

With the sounds of his 427 build, and the way he hangs the hoops...he's definitely doing at least high 10's.

When he said 11.70's, he was probably talking guestimated street times...not strip.

From the videos it sure looks likea low 10 second ride maybe even high 9s...

A stock ZZ502 can push a 68 Camaro into the high 10's if it's set up properly...that's without the bottle...:biggrin:

MC you're giving me hope here....

809-12499121.jpg

If I were to marry the two together...

69Novafront.jpg

Sorry I just couldn't resist....and yes that's my Nova.

Well, I was telling another buddy of mine what happened and it has his interest. He doesn't do much racing these days because there isn't much out there that can give him a run. I told him there will probably be money involved and he was fine with it. I won't give much details of my buddy's car since the Camaro guys might be reading this board and it would be like the other team reading our play book.

I'll say that my buddy has a European rear-wheel drive car with a 3.0 liter engine. No NOS. It should give that Camaro a good run.

MC you're giving me hope here....

809-12499121.jpg

If I were to marry the two together...

69Novafront.jpg

Sorry I just couldn't resist....and yes that's my Nova.

Here's what one looks like in my 68 Camaro.
I've never had mine to the track, but guys I know have stock ZZ502's in their first gens with a good strong automatic and proper suspension set up going high 10's.

Mine with the TKO-600 is somewhat traction impared in 1st and 2nd gears....keeps the tires spinning into 3rd.

It's a fun car, but if I had it all to do again, I'd go with a good LS motor build and either a T-56 or a good automatic trans.

Attachments

• Zz502.JPG
    Zz502.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • P3310160.JPG
    P3310160.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,272
Yeah, the car was definitely fast. I spoke to a local guy who owns a speedshop here and he knows of this car. He said no matter what I do to my GN, even with my new Weber engine, I'll never beat that Camaro. That is a tough pill for me to swallow. I don't like being told that I can't do something. Currently my new Weber engine will be based on a 109 block. This makes me want to go all out with a TA aluminum block with the 4 inch bore. A lot can be acheived with 274 CID.

Don Wang (DonWG) is going mid-low 9's all day with this combo from his sig.

1984 BUICK Grand National 224 cid Stage I BUICK V6 burning CH3OH w/N2O, 91mm turbo.

I was at Bakersfield Pinks last year as part of his pit crew and watched him in this race....it was hilarious seeing him make up 4-5 lengths by the 8th as that 91mm spooled, and then beat the guy by another 4 lengths before the 1/4 was up.:biggrin:

YouTube - Grand National at Pinks All Out Bakersfield 2009

Yeah, the car was definitely fast. I spoke to a local guy who owns a speedshop here and he knows of this car. He said no matter what I do to my GN, even with my new Weber engine, I'll never beat that Camaro. That is a tough pill for me to swallow. I don't like being told that I can't do something. Currently my new Weber engine will be based on a 109 block. This makes me want to go all out with a TA aluminum block with the 4 inch bore. A lot can be acheived with 274 CID.

Then you will bump into him at the local Walmart only to find out he has sold the car and is expecting a kid. Then you and your friend with the European car will only have each other to race. Build what you want and beat who you can with what you have. Faster cars are always lurking.

The advantage we have is the fear of the unknown. Take a bone stock TR, add slicks, front runners, and a 3" single shot exhaust and dark tint. I bet you will not be picked on by anything slower than a nine second car.

The advantage we have is the fear of the unknown. Take a bone stock TR, add slicks, front runners, and a 3" single shot exhaust and dark tint. I bet you will not be picked on by anything slower than a nine second car.

Thats exactly why I switched to a white t type... so I could get picked on by 10 second cars... needless to say that didnt last long.

You guys have not learned of the lure that purple window tint brings...

I'm convinced that's why I get soooooo much attention on the street.:D

Attachments

• Fontana line up6-1.JPG
    Fontana line up6-1.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,165