cam sprocket holes not lining up

89mulletbird

Yes - I have the sprocket turned the right way :cool:

I have a Comp roller cam and Roller Master double chain.

Stock Cam + Roller Master = OK
Comp Cam + Stock Gear = OK

Comp Cam + Roller Master = BAD

Has anyone had this issue? I was going to just slightly enlarge both holes on the Roller Master gear. The stock gear has larger holes, and that is why it still works with the Comp Cam.

That looks way off. You do know that it will only go on one way right? If the holes don't line up rotate it 180*.

John

Turned 180 the holes are not even remotely close. If I share the error between the two holes, I can ALMOST get the 2nd bolt started. But there is definitely a problem somewhere.

I have never used a rollmaster & I would absolutely degree in the cam if you did not plan on it. You say your sure it is not on backwards? As far off as it is in the pic looks like when I have had them on 180 off. Don't know what else to tell you. Maybe call whoever you got it from & see if there have been any problems? Or just order one from DLS & send that one back.

It is definitely not 180 degrees off, I checked several times. Honestly, I think the Comp Cam is to blame. I can put the Rollmaster gear on my stock cam with a little bit of finesse, but the Rollmaster has much smaller bolt holes than the stock cam.

I checked the camshaft hub that the cam sprocket goes on and it is .001" out of round, is this normal?

Answer

I had my machinist check out the Comp Cam and he said the drill walked while the cam gear holes were drilled. The threads are not centered in the holes. We opened up the Rollmaster gear holes by 0.020" and installed the gear without any trouble.

Anyone else had Comp Cam quality issues? :mad:

Everybody has had issues with everything at one time or another, it really depends more on who?? rather than what.

Kevin.

Yep, I'm one of those with a problem. Bought a new Engine Works Xtreem Duty Timing Set. #1014-2 . Been on the shelf over ten years. Went to install, and low and behold the bolt hole on one side (left) will not line up. OK maybe we can enlarge the hole in the cam sprocket and make it work. But then another problem, we need to machine the engine side of the crank sprocket to get proper alignment. This is a stock GN with 50 k on the odo. I'm not real interested in the extra work, so I'll go a different route. Just venting here. Probably try to get this set to someone else if they are interested.