cam shaft suggestions

turbotgnx

TTYPE
after 9 yrs im finally building my 86 3.8 engine and want to get a little perfomance want to run around low 12s i was wondering if the stock cam was good enough for a 2800 to 3000 stall and have engine bored .30 over and run 8:6:1 ration with the stock length rods any suggestions on a cam i would appreciate it thanks

Stock cam would get you there. If it's apart I say go with a roller cam. Maybe a 206/206. If the budget allows.

I agree. If the engine is apart replace the cam. A roller would be better, and don't go too big for your application. I like a 206/214 roller for a smaller roller on the street. I have this in my '87 GN. Again, 12s is pretty easy, but if you are rebuilding.....

Hope this helps you.

12 secs

I found that these cars are easy to get into the 12s with stock parts. So there you have it the buick gods have spoken good luck young Spartan.

Personally I would stick with the stockers stuff if you can.

The roller setup is nice but big dollar and really not needed at the level you are wanting

The stock cam with good springs will run good to the 11.75 range with the other supporting bolt ons.

Me I would not worry about the cam and spend some extra on beefing up the bottom end with billet centers, if overboaring using a good set of forged pistons and ARP harware to hold it all together. Use the stock stuff that has been magged and reconned and reassemble to the buick specs. This is good for the 10's. Why spend more than you need.

If you are truely never going to go but 12 or maybe a high 11 then all the stock peices are more than capable. Just mag and recon and assemble to spec. You will have no issues