Cam Sensor?

GRAY86T-TYPE

Yesterday I was driving home and the car shut off. Got it into a parking spot and popped the hood. The car cranked wouldn't start. Then a few min. went by and it started and stalled real quick but then the SEL came on and showed a code 41 on the sm. Then the car wouldn't started at all. Finally after 45 mins. it started and I drove it home, no more code on sm or sel. Think its the sensor? Anyway to check the sensor while on or off the car? Happen to anybody else? Thanks......

Yesterday I was driving home and the car shut off. Got it into a parking spot and popped the hood. The car cranked wouldn't start. Then a few min. went by and it started and stalled real quick but then the SEL came on and showed a code 41 on the sm. Then the car wouldn't started at all. Finally after 45 mins. it started and I drove it home, no more code on sm or sel. Think its the sensor? Anyway to check the sensor while on or off the car? Happen to anybody else? Thanks......
I'd check the CKP (crank position sensor). They do tend to fail when hot , then poss work for a while when they cool down. Dave

Cam sensor failing while the engine was running would not make the engine quit. The ECM falls into batch fire mode to continue running. After you get it home and shut it off it would not restart.

My bet is on the crank sensor as well.

Pretty easy change.

Possible that is the problem, because the car stalled then wouldn't start, the after it cooled for an hour it started and I was able to drive home. Maybe I'll just replace both

Start with the crank sensor. If that works, you probably won't want to replace the cam sensor. They aren't cheap.