Cam Sensor Setting

LAMMONS0003

Guys I have set the cam sensor in my car several times with not much trouble. Got all the way back together with 206/206 cam and having some troubles. When setting voltage will drop from battery voltage to 6.2 to 5.9 volt at one spot but never lower. Shouldnt it drop to 0-2 volts, it always has before? Any ideas or tips would be wonderful. thanks

I just spent 2 days dealing with my sensor.

If you are properly set on the crank at 1.45" after TDC(set for fire on #6) it should be at 0 volts if you have the open space on the cam sensor wheel pointing straight down or towards the drivers fender and the cam senor top on with the wires pointing at the drivers headlight.

I put the positive on my B terminal and the ground clipped to the firewall and it was right on 0 volts. I moved it around a little to verify I was getting voltage and then put right back on 0 volts.

With crank at 25atdc point dot in cam gear at pass fender and drop in sensor.
Align the stake tab on rotor with the tab on the sensor body that is used to orient the cap.

Joe

how did they slam these things together one after another on the assembly line in the 80's? even tho i've had it apart a few times, i've never really looked at mine but i'd assume there has to be some sort of lines and/or dots you can line up...
i do know that Chevy V8's have marks that you can use to drop in the distributor with the cap and plug wires on it, i don't see why they would do it differently on the Buick V6.
i might need to do some investigating on my car this weekend..

how did they slam these things together one after another on the assembly line in the 80's? even tho i've had it apart a few times, i've never really looked at mine but i'd assume there has to be some sort of lines and/or dots you can line up...
i do know that Chevy V8's have marks that you can use to drop in the distributor with the cap and plug wires on it, i don't see why they would do it differently on the Buick V6.
i might need to do some investigating on my car this weekend..

Here is the info you are looking for( not mine). Have not tried it myself yet but will check it out. Post 14 has pictures of the alignment process.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/323710-help-setting-cam-sensor.html#post2547742

Bryan

Caspers Electronics has the tool

I bought this tool many years ago and it makes setting the cam sensor a breeze.

Install the cam sensor following the instructions as you normally would.Plug the tool into the cam sensor wiring connector,turn the sensor clockwise until the red LED light comes on,then turn the sensor counterclockwise until the red LED light goes out then it is set and then tighten down the retaining bolt and it's done.

Can't get much easier than that. :smile:

I bought this tool many years ago and it makes setting the cam sensor a breeze.

Install the cam sensor following the instructions as you normally would.Plug the tool into the cam sensor wiring connector,turn the sensor clockwise until the red LED light comes on,then turn the sensor counterclockwise until the red LED light goes out then it is set and then tighten down the retaining bolt and it's done.

Can't get much easier than that. :smile:

I goofed that up,sorry about the misinformation i posted.

Here is the corrected way to do this.

I meant to say when you plug the cam sensor tool in the wiring connector,turn the sensor clockwise until the red LED light goes out,then turn the sensor counterclockwise until the red LED light comes back on then it is set,then tighten down the retaining bolt but ensuring the light stays on as you do.