Cam sensor setting procedure?

Doug Jacobson

Altitude Compensated
Ok, getting ready to fire a fresh motor tonight and the time came to set the cam sensor. well........... since gnttype.org is down I couldn't get the method I've always used to succecs. Heres what I did from memory, correct my wrong step please.

1. Cut a 1.45" piece of masking tape,

2. Put masking tape on the balancer counter clockwise from the timing mark.

3. Rolled it around to the length of the tape After TDC, or 0 on the plastic timing peice. Withthe engine on TDC #1 (and I KNOW it was on #1)

4. Probed the middle wire of the cam sensor with meter.

5. Rotated the can sensor clockwise until voltage dropped from 5v to 0v

6. Locked it down

When trying to start the car it would crank hard. I loosened the sensor and rotated it some more clockwise and it fired and ran good enough to break in the cam. After thinking for a while I've dug up a tidbit more information from the back of my head that is telling me that I need to rotate the sensor counter clockwise when checking for the voltage to drop.

So old pros, which is it? Clockwise or Counter Clockwise?

Thanks, Doug J

cam sensor adjust

The cam sensor shaft spins clockwise, same as a distributor on the Buick 3.8. Therefore the cam sensor housing would need to turn counterclockwise until it "senses" the interrupter ring opening. Pop the two phillip's head screws out of the top plastic housing and look at it. BTW, now's a good time to check the up & down play of the shaft. Easier to check it out of engine. Should be set at .015 with a feeler gauge. If loose, get some small block Chevy Moroso distributor shim washers and insert BELOW the original washer (by the cam drive gear) until you get the desired clearance. Washers will come in several different thicknesses from Moroso. DON'T put washer between the stock thrust washer & the bottom of the aluminum housing. The Moroso's aren't as big as the stock washer & will wear the aluminum unevenly.

Has anyone used the Cam Sensor tool? I got a credit from Kirban's due to the cancellation of Grand News and ordered one.

Here is how the Cam Tool works for setting the cam sensor:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/102075.pdf

On the brighter side, we are designing a new cam sensor with self-adjustment hardware. The new sensor cap will have a built-in LED and will be slotted in such a way that you will be able to adjust the cam sensor setting without having to add the relocated 25 deg. timing mark! You will simply set TDC to the factory timing mark, then set the sensor cap accordingly.

This new system will be slotted on the top and will allow you to "tweak" the fuel timing very easily, when using aftermarket cams and such.

The new sensor cap will be available within about a month.
-John Spina
Casper's Electronics Inc.

Doug, I have a cam sensor tool if you need it.. Just let me know and if I'm not going to be around I can leave it somewhere for ya..

483-5590
ks:cool: