Cam sensor ques???

Busyman

[BAD HBT 6]
Hey guys,
I'm working on my buddies 87 GN. After reading almost every post on this forum concerning shudder/tip-in stumble I have narrowed it down to the Cam Sensor. First of all, thank you to this forum because I would have never been able to figure it out without you guys.
The test I did was to:
start the car
unplug cam sensor
disregard the CE light
drove around and no problems what so ever.

Unfortunately this car does not have a scan master yet so diagnosis was more difficult. My question is, can I just clean up the connections or the cam sensor itself or do I need to buy a new one? Any input would really help. I'm not a mechanic so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance,

Busyman

Dealing with this shudder tip-in problem. I think I narrowed down to the Cam sensor. (Explained in previous post) However before I order a new one, has anyone had any experience with this. Im just concerned because with the existing cam sensor unplugged after the car is running, it runs great with no problems. I assumed the cam sensor only helped the car start and had nothing to do with the continuous running of the car. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Busyman

The computer constantly takes an update from the cam sensor so it will affect the way the car runs even after it is started. By what you describe the cam sensor bushings/shaft could be worn out. First, make sure it is timed correctly.

I will start with timing it. Thanks mikestertwo. If the cam sensor bushings are wore out. Can I just buy new ones without having to replace the whole unit?

get a scanmaster

get the iac and tps set
see what the blms and o2s are doing,
make sure the ecm is seeing the correct coolant temp

dont dismis the Maf or the o2 as a problem
try a known good maf first and see what the 02 is doing

i had one that idled ok but once on the road it would stutter under rpm , it was the cam sensor slop
same symptoms on another car were caused by a bad ls1 maf

on the cam sensor
if the four tanges cast on the cam sensor body just above the gear and wave washer are worn down the shaft can have too much up down play and that will change the sensor timing as it rides up on the cam gear
it can be reshimmed using a new roll pin and distributor washers
if you do pull the cam sensor body there is a specific procedure for its install and adjustment

Pacecarta,
I know we need to get that Scan master. I will inspect the cam sensor like you said. That makes a lot of sense as to what me problem may be, if the cam sensor is riding up and down. I have already replaced the MAF. I will start with the above and let you know the results.
Thanks

I chased an intermittent miss for a long time before checking the cam sensor. Disconnected, it ran without a miss. So I took the cam sensor cap off and noticed just a small amount of dust there so I wiped it off. Didn't have a replacement so I just put it back together thinking I'd look for a new one. However, after the slight cleaning job I did the miss was gone, and I was HAPPY with my car once again. My advice, clean it up and try it again, not that hard to do and you might save some money. For what it's worth, my car has 65K on it. If you have a lot more miles a replacement might be a good idea anyway.

Update, Update, Update

All right, car is up and running right. It did end up being a worn cam shaft sensor. Finally pulled it out and found it was sloppy (up& down and left & right). I lucked out and borrowed a known good sensor and a cam sensor (Caspers) timing tool from Turbo Archie. I was a little hesitant to pull the cam sensor because of the reinstallation process looked difficult. However, it wasn't that difficult and was a great learning experience. Thanks to this forum and it's members for the professional mechanical input.

Busyman