Cam sensor failure code

daviss

Cam sensor failure code showed up couple of weeks ago. I forget the number.
The car runs fine except I'm now getting knock at WOT. I was under the impression the car would not run with a bad cam sensor. Would this code show up if it was just out of adjustment? Would the cam sensor being bad or out of adjustment cause my knock?

DS shows O2's 780-800 and I've got the boost turned down to 18psi until I can figure it out. I'm running 93 octane from Mobil.

I've gotten a couple degrees of KR before but only when I get greedy with the boost.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Confusing?

Your info is somewhat confusing?:confused:

What code was set? If there is NO cam signal, the car will not start. If the signal is disabled after starting, it will still run but not restart. A bad cam sensor cap can give problems like backfiring, out of time symptoms or other weird conditions.

No code I have ever seen tells cam sensor out of adjustment. Could be out, but you would need to go through the setting procedure to know.

As far as knock on 93 octane at 18 psi, this would be expected and will shortly damage something.:(

I would double check your code...Cam sensor controls fuel injector timing. Car will not start without it, but would run if disconnect it after starting or it went bad while driving.

Try running some race gas to verify if it isn't false knock. Out of adjustment Cam sensor causes backfires, sputtering, etc.

Cam sensor code

Hi!
I agree with the other guys;If you have a cam sensor code, and the car still starts, maybe you are dealing with an intermittent problem, and there WAS an episode, however breif, when the car wouldn't start. Possible? Let us know, and look towards changing the sensor anyway. CYA!

Dale
PS By the way,don't get stuck on the side of the road, you know?

I agree with everything you all said. I will check the code tonight. On Direct Scan, this is the only code that ever shows up. The SES light comes on about five seconds after the car starts and does not go off. I agree that if the cam sensor was bad the car would not run. This is why I'm confused.

The car always starts right up and never dies. And it always starts right back up after I shut it off.

Nick, I usually run 20-21 psi with no knock until this problem popped up. Turning the boost down to 18 psi eliminated the problem.

Is it possible that it's just the cap?

Very strange indeed..it might be the electrical connector of the cap. Disconnect the connector and plug it together a few times. That will clean-up the contacts. Replacing the cap is pretty cheap compared to the mechanical unit $200 or so. If its original, not a bad idea to replace it anyway considering its age.

I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll replace it unless someone smarter than me can help figure it out. I don't like to swap parts as a first resort. I can think of a lot of good places to spend $200.

Just did a search on Code 41 and there was a lot of references to bad coil packs and modules and bad connections. I guess I'll spend the night checking connections.

Any other suggestions are still welcome.

Thanks, Steve