Cam Sensor a Tooth off

Hognose

If the cam sensor is a tooth off will it cause detonation at all? The car runs fine, but either driving or in neutral, once the rpms reach past 2k I am seeing KR.
I am pretty sure that when I installed the cam sensor it was a tooth off.

Or is it is actually 180 out I know it will run, but could it cause this problem?

Thanks

I'm not sure you can get the cam sensor in a tooth off because it has to engage the oil pump. Also, you set the sensor after it's physically installed. This would also prevent it from being 180 out unless you had the crank in the wrong position. FWIW if you have the cam sensor a little bit off it will not effect ignition timing either. If you suspect it's off just get a meter and check. It only takes a few minutes and you'll know for sure.

It doesn't matter where the cam sensor gear is placed, as long as the interruptor window rising edge is relative to 25 deg. ATDC.

Incorrect fuel timing from an improperly adjusted cam sensor won't cause detonation as a rule. Detonation is mostly a result of mismatched spark timing advance vs fuel octane rating vs engine load. Other causes relate to leanout condition due to incorrect fuel mapping or mis-matched injector flow. In fact, there are quite a few reasons you might detonate if you consider when it happens. Poor ignition or lack of effective spark is not one of them though.

In short no,as long as the engine is on the correct stroke. The cam sensor can be installed facing anyway as long as you set it with a DVOM or the cam tool that caspers sells. Knock above 2k could be a bunch of things. Rule out the basics and go from there.