Cam recomendations

Not that i doubt you, but you will have to take me as a passenger.on a 9 sec pass. Idle is around 900 rpm.........

Norbs, he is a no-$hit 9 sec car. His site has copies of his timeslips.

I can also guarantee he never ran into his garage door.. :p

(did you think I forgot about that???)

You sure got a good memory. I will be trying to fit my 600 lift cam in my stock block tonight, wish me luck

Since all the big cam guys are on this thread, I have some questions. How does a bigger cam affect spool? Does the engine have to get farther up in the RPMs to spool compared to a smaller cam? I am close to getting my new setup running and would like to know what to expect. 224/224 solid, 1.5" springs 220 on the seat. I know it will spool fast (BB cpt 65), but I feel that I might max this turbo out and a 70 is on the horizon.

Take a look at the Home page of this website. Jason Cramer is running in the 9s, at almost 140. He's running a 218/218. Lee Frederick out of Pompano Beach is running low 10s, with an ATR hydraulic roller (214/210) Richard Braccia of Ocala, Fla, is also running in the 9s at almost 140, with an ATR cam. Until you get faster than these guys, more cam would seem to be good for getting a rough idle, and for bench racing. There are clearly guys who advocate a large cam. But are they faster than Race Jace, the TSM champ?

While I agree that these engines do not have to have a huge cam to go fast, it does not mean that any particular engine will not make more power with a bigger cam.

Several posts in this thread contain logical fallacies including:

Appeals to Motives in Place of Support
Consequences: the reader is warned of unacceptable consequences

Causal Fallacies
Post Hoc: because one thing follows another, it is held to cause the other

Missing the Point
Irrelevant Conclusion: an argument in defense of one conclusion instead proves a different conclusion.

Category Errors
Composition: because the attributes of the parts of a whole have a certain property, it is argued that the whole has that property
Division: because the whole has a certain property, it is argued that the parts have that property

Non Sequitur
Affirming the Consequent: any argument of the form: If A then B, B, therefore A

BTW the fastest stock block car uses a 224 cam. Also i have been measuring the lifters and the oil hole will not uncover until you go ver .850 gross lift on a stock block. +-.050. So measuring the lifter means nothing until you place it in the block, like i figured. ALso i am making the same horsepower on iron heads as many people with champions, so what will this combination do with alum heads??

I know these engines don't need large cams. I have run the ATR 214 210 for years and I love everything about it. And an old Lunati 200/200 before that. But I bought a longblock and it is setup around a solid 224/224. I am looking forward to seeing how a larger cam acts. I will still be running iron heads, and would like to see some good numbers without running crazy boost. So, I am gonna move the power up in the rpm range a little bit. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I made a mistake on those numbers it is .550 lift MAX, before the oil uncovers, time to bronze bush the the lifter bores:(

some of us have made good power on small cheap cams too

speed-pro 204-214 flat tappet

home ported irons with stock valves and stock rockers ;)

I agree if you throw 35 psi boost to it, it will make power!

The point i am trying to make is, you can run high boost over 31+lbs, or run 25 and make the similar power, without worrying about breaking it. as much with a larger cam

When I was building my motor everyone told me to go with a small cam also because my motor was so close to stock it wouldnt run good with the small cam well I didnt feel like hearing that so I bought a 221/218 and if it didnt run good I would buy another. My motor build up was
Stock crank, rods, with .030 over JE's all balanced cant remember what they balanced it to dont have the sheet with me but it proly wasnt even close to a 1/2 ounce at one inch. So it proly wasnt balanced very good. It had stock heads with Comp. springs and stock rockers with comp hardend pushrods. With 42.5 lbs injectors with an old ass modern muscle chip with only like 22 degrees timing. I had a Precision 9.5 inch 3500 convertor and a
T-62 with an .82 a/r exhaust housing. And the car ran awesome. It idled at 800 0r 850 with 16 inches of vacuum and didnt surge or anything. Low end throttle response and torque was awesome. So was the spool.
Leaving at 10 psi it ran a 7.21@ 97 mph at only 20 psi. Through full exhaust and full weight with stock tires and wheels on the front. And cheap centerline autodrags and 28x9 slicks with a stock rear end. And no suspension work except 2 air bags. Even had stock front and rear swaybars.

Im with The Pro on this one. Im trying to get my friend with his stock block race car to go with a bigger cam. When I tell him to read this thread maybe he will.

You should be ashamed at that boost level, Roy Garcia is running 19 lbs and going 9.53@142 mph on stock block crank and heads:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by norbs
You should be ashamed at that boost level, Roy Garcia is running 19 lbs and going 9.53@142 mph on stock block crank and heads:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Garcia has a stock block, crank, and Aluminum GN1's. Not stock heads.

Originally posted by Ormand
Take a look at the Home page of this website. Jason Cramer is running in the 9s, at almost 140. He's running a 218/218. Lee Frederick out of Pompano Beach is running low 10s, with an ATR hydraulic roller (214/210) Richard Braccia of Ocala, Fla, is also running in the 9s at almost 140, with an ATR cam. Until you get faster than these guys, more cam would seem to be good for getting a rough idle, and for bench racing. There are clearly guys who advocate a large cam. But are they faster than Race Jace, the TSM champ?

Yep, I'm faster. Make more power too. Probably because I don't have the constraints placed on my car that TSM does. That's not a slam on Jason btw, he acknowledges what his car would do if it didn't have to fit the TSM profile...

Personally, I'm from the old school of STFU and run what you brung. I don't bracket race, and I don't lift my hood at the track. Talk is cheap; bull$hit paves Texas highways....