Cam option break down

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Found my little cam sheet I had made. Kinda wondering if anyone has any input on which is the best option. Want to keep the 18 MPG I am getting, but need to replace the cam due to a poor lifter and while I am at it I might as well do the cam too.

What ive got so far-

Edelbrock 5487~ 204/214 .448/.472 LSA 112

Conclusion- More cam than I want. Afraid I will loose a little MPG but more importantly daily driver drivability.

Comp CL69-115-4~ 192/200 .403/.403 LSA 110

Conclusion- Looks like a NA performance cam to me, GN cam is better

Comp CL69-234-4~ 206/206 .425/.425 LSA 110

Conclusion~ Little better than the last one, but most turbo cams have larger lift exhaust sides, which this doesnt.

Comp CL 67-2 34-4~ 206/206 .439/.439 LSA 110

Conclusion- Same as last one, but higher overall lift

Melling CL-SBC-14~ 193/196 .400/.422 LSA 107

Conclusion~Good cam, stock GN so its proven into the 11's or better, but would be nice to have somthing a little better.

Really wish they made a 200/210 with a total lift of like .422/.450 and LSA of 110 or something like that

Yeah to a point. I have to get my heads machined down as I am running a thicker head gasket than the stock shim gasket. So it doesnt matter anyways. Have to pull the heads off anyways.

I wanted to stay with smaller lifts mostly because I dont want to loose my streetability or my MPG.

Yeah to a point. I have to get my heads machined down as I am running a thicker head gasket than the stock shim gasket. So it doesnt matter anyways. Have to pull the heads off anyways.

I wanted to stay with smaller lifts mostly because I dont want to loose my streetability or my MPG.

well lift has no impact on streetability or MPG.

actually tends to improve both.... lift is just how much the valve opens....

The DURATION, LSA, and OVERLAP have major impact on streetability and MPG.

from what I see on all your choices,

the edelbrock is the only one i would use. the rest have much too narrow of an LSA. you want atleast 111... but no more than say 114.5

A.j.

Found my little cam sheet I had made. Kinda wondering if anyone has any input on which is the best option. Want to keep the 18 MPG I am getting, but need to replace the cam due to a poor lifter and while I am at it I might as well do the cam too.

What ive got so far-

Edelbrock 5487~ 204/214 .448/.472 LSA 112

Conclusion- More cam than I want. Afraid I will loose a little MPG but more importantly daily driver drivability.

Comp CL69-115-4~ 192/200 .403/.403 LSA 110

Conclusion- Looks like a NA performance cam to me, GN cam is better

Comp CL69-234-4~ 206/206 .425/.425 LSA 110

Conclusion~ Little better than the last one, but most turbo cams have larger lift exhaust sides, which this doesnt.

Comp CL 67-2 34-4~ 206/206 .439/.439 LSA 110

Conclusion- Same as last one, but higher overall lift

Melling CL-SBC-14~ 193/196 .400/.422 LSA 107

Conclusion~Good cam, stock GN so its proven into the 11's or better, but would be nice to have somthing a little better.

Really wish they made a 200/210 with a total lift of like .422/.450 and LSA of 110 or something like that
I would not run any of these cams. none are turbo specific cams. Mike

what cam would you use? i have not had good luck with cams? i am almost willing too try any cam. i have a sealpower cam now but i had a edeljunk cam before.
check out crower thry make cams for turbos. I think erson does to. Mike

So that 206/206 is what you would recomend AJ? There was a 212/212 on full throttle too I was looking at.

The 206/206 I saw didnt have any specs, but the part number it had was the same as the 3rd one I posted.

Ohh, and what the heck makes a turbo cam any different from a normal run of the mill NA cam? LSA?

So that edelbrock cam has pretty good numbers? I know theres a bunch of manufacturers out there with that cam, would probably not go with the edel or comp. Ive heard too many clicky comp lifter stories and Mikes constand badgering on how bad the edel one is. :)

just make sure the intake and exhaust do not overlap otherwise your sending boost out the exhaust. Mike

If it was me I would run a speed pro 204/214. I have it in my car and it pulls nice and smooth (once the ass end stops trying to get around the front:rolleyes:) Why do you have to pull heads? I have the el cheapo felpro head gasket on my car with no issues. Didn't shave anything. If you don't plan on doing major headwork I would go with the 204/214. If you are gonna do some porting and stuff (along with the intake!) I would go bigger. Just keep in mind you still have that "crappy" intake on it. THe money and time you spend on the heads could be time and money spend on an alky kit and stall and a few other goodies.

BTW guys. My "junk, worthless" junkdrawer alky kit running -25 PEAK washer fluid is allowing my car 23 lbs and 25/23 timing. No knock yet. Maybe I could get more but I don't think there's much left in it with the stock turbo and intercooler. Mix that with a MBC and it's one pissed off V6:cool: So everyone that laughed at me for not buying GOOD STUFF, PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

The 204/214 is starting to look better. I mean as long as it isnt a crazy cam, which it doesnt look like I will be fine.

I gotta pull the heads as the fel-pro gasket I have is much thicker than the stock head gasket. I dont think Im loosing too much compression, but there is some that I could gain to go back to stock.

So the plan is a 204/214 I think, along with porting the intake and heads, and putting some comp 980 valvsprings on. Gotta look at my rocker shafts too. They seemed awfully loose when I put them on.