cam failure

86george

union member
Yes another flat tappet cam gone bad.Bit of a chore getting the pan off with 4 billet caps but i got off.Looks like some thrust bearing wear.The engine will come out so i can check the rest.The oil pick up screen had a lot of filter material on it.Been useing wix 51049 filters since i got the tubo saver. Thats what came with the saver kit.Used purolator filters before that.One or both of those filters suck.Used shell rottela oil for a couple of years and been useing zddp for over 3 yrs.Damage must have started before i started useing the zddp.I'm thinking roller kit this time.I don't plan on going any faster than mid 11's (no roll bar) so what are some good choices for a roller cam?

I could do a search but what are the signs of a cam lobe going south becides material in the oil or pulling the valve covers and taking a look?

I could do a search but what are the signs of a cam lobe going south becides material in the oil or pulling the valve covers and taking a look?

Mine started pecking noise like a bad lifter.Changed oil to thicker oil and noise came back.Noise came up though the intake.Hard to tell where the noise was comeing from.Not like a single lobe or lifter.Ran the engine with valve covers off and found a couple valves opening and closeing very abruptly.Had a cam fail once shortly after break in.Single lobe failed and that was easy to find.

If you run a magnet on the drain plug, and you wipe a lobe it will look like a freaky fuzzy mess, and then your blood pressure goes up... and your wallet gets thinner.

Chuck