cam advice please

ryan319

i finally figured out what's causing my 86 GN to perform so poorly; 2 bad cam lobes (#1 and 2 exhaust). so i obviously need a new cam. the car has the following mods:

balanced and blue printed bottom end
ported and polished iron heads and intake
t62 turbo
42.5 lb injectors with chip
3 in DP and exhaust (no cat)
built rear with stock gearing
built trans with 3000 lockup

the car had a 218/218 cam that i think was little big for the stall convertor in the car. i'm staying flat tappet since i already have new lifters and timing chain. what would be a good cam for this combo and what vendor do you recommend? the car is a weekend driver, emissions not an issue, and i'd like to put it solidly in the 11's.

Erson 208/208

I would run an Erson 208/208 very streetable but works very well with your combination.

since you have heads on the car go with a 212/212 or a 206/206 i like comp cams

i finally figured out what's causing my 86 GN to perform so poorly; 2 bad cam lobes (#1 and 2 exhaust). so i obviously need a new cam. the car has the following mods:

t62 turbo

Was this balanced and blue printed bottom end done after the discovery of the 2 wiped lobes? just curious.

As for a cam i would go with a roller setup, if not you could be doing this all over again. You can always sell the new lifters and timing chain you already have to help offset the cost of the roller setup.

t62 turbo

the car had a 218/218 cam that i think was little big for the stall convertor in the car. i'm staying flat tappet since i already have new lifters and timing chain. what would be a good cam for this combo and what vendor do you recommend? the car is a weekend driver, emissions not an issue, and i'd like to put it solidly in the 11's.

when you say poorly you mean no power at all just super slow

when you say poorly you mean no power at all just super slow

yep, no power and super slow. i pulled the valve covers and found #1 and #2 exhaust barely moving. i guess it's possible that i could have two bad lifters but i haven't pulled them yet.

here's the deal, the motor has about 5,000 on it. the previous owner had it built and i have all the receipts showing what went into it. all quality parts were used and I assume the shop knew what they were doing when they put it together. i basically don't want to go roller at this point because of the cost. if i can do a new flat tappet cam now and have it last 5-10K i'm fine with that because it will take me years to put that many miles on it.

yep, no power and super slow. i pulled the valve covers and found #1 and #2 exhaust barely moving. i guess it's possible that i could have two bad lifters but i haven't pulled them yet.

here's the deal, the motor has about 5,000 on it. the previous owner had it built and i have all the receipts showing what went into it. all quality parts were used and I assume the shop knew what they were doing when they put it together. i basically don't want to go roller at this point because of the cost. if i can do a new flat tappet cam now and have it last 5-10K i'm fine with that because it will take me years to put that many miles on it.

If you have a wiped cam lobe or worse two, the metal from the lobes / lifters is in your engine and oil system and just installing a new flat tappet cam and lifters is not a good idea and will most likely destroy the bearings and parts in your newly built engine.

I hate to say it but the engine needs to be removed and disassembled and the block and parts needs to be cleaned by a machine shop to get all that metal out.

If you have a wiped cam lobe or worse two, the metal from the lobes / lifters is in your engine and oil system and just installing a new flat tappet cam and lifters is not a good idea and will most likely destroy the bearings and parts in your newly built engine.

I hate to say it but the engine needs to be removed and disassembled and the block and parts needs to be cleaned by a machine shop to get all that metal out.

i've thought about that. i'm going to hold off on a final decision on what i'm doing until i can pull the cam and lifters so i know exactly what i'm dealing with.

i changed the oil and cut the filter open and there wasn't ANY metal in it and it even had a filter mag.

i'm probably going to go roller. is the best and easiest way just to buy the kit from Full Throttle?

i ordered the 210/215 roller kit from Full Throttle. i should have it in by the end of the month along with a stretched intercooler. can't wait to see how it runs!!!!