Calpak

Shamusvelez

I don't have the calpak for my 86-7 ECM. Can I use the one from my 85? Or do I need the 86-7 calpak.

Calpak is only used as a failsafe in the event of an ecm or eprom failure. It will revert to very primitive programmed tables to limp home. So as long as it fits in the socket it should run fine. Ecm DOES check for the presence of a calpak though so there needs to be something in there. May or may not work worth a damn in the event of ecm failure but unless your car is basically stock it won't work anyway. I can tell you firsthand that with 60lb injectors you can keep it running for about 3 seconds in calpak mode and that's if you are trying like hell to do it!

If for some reason the 85 doesn't fit in the 148 ecm you can use one out of any old 148 ecm even the FWD stuff. It won't be calibrated to work in the event of ecm failure but will run fine under every normal circumstance.

10-4 thanks guys. I've been having trouble starting and I noticed the ECM I put in has no calpak. I tried it with the 85 calpak and it still won't start.

84 thru 89 (TTA) calpaks are all identical. The chip is basically a resistor network that delivers base settings to the analog section of the ECM in the event that the PROM fails and can't be read.

The resistor network values are determined based on the stock parameters, particularly stock 28.5 lb. injectors and stock fuel pressure. Once you upgrade injectors, the "limp-mode" condition will cause incorrect default fuel delivery, resulting in a potential cylinder wash-down (bad) condition. You'll run too rich, or not at all, and have the tendency to fill your crankase with unburned fuel and lack of oil will cause rings to score pistons - quickly.

For any of you hackers out there, I had decoded the calpak chip down to resistor values, and if you're resourceful, you could probably change a resistance value or two to make your own calpak chip, set up for your particular injector size. You gotta be resourceful though; figure out which resistance value controls the limp mode fuel parameters. I never did take it that far, although trial-and-error will get you there.

Anyone willing to take the bait?