Calmap timing to timing light

X-FORD MAN

The timing on my calmap will read 5 degrees less than my snap-on timing light, which one is right? Went up to 25 degrees at 25 psi (on calmap reading) with no difference in power with a lower timing, no detonation at all for both runs:confused: Thanks

Timing is everthing

If your set you timing lite to 0 and your calmap down to where you can read it on the ballancer... They should match. If your timing mark is set up correctly with TDC. If you set your timing on the laptop to 20deg at idle and flash the timing lite down on the marker you should see 20deg. If not...Your marker is wrong or adjust your setting for crank ref. angle to make the calmap read correctly. ~Scott.:)

They will not read the same. There is an difference in what the timing map shows to what is read on the balancer. It is built into the ignition module. It is about 5-6 deg. difference.
I assume you are using ACCEL DFI system? My system shows a 5 deg difference, there is nothing you can do to get them to match.
The timing lite is right, whatever is read on the balancer.

paul

PaulRv6 is correct when he says that there is a difference. However it is 6 degrees. This is printed in the ACCEL EMIC training material that you can download from their website.

The whole book is available in PDF format and is used to train their factory authorized installation centers. It is interesting reading for the DFI user. I picked up a few good tips.

Dave

Always trust your timing light. In a few cases (as with waste spark ignitions) some adjustable timing lights will give false readings when dialing in the spark offset on the light. Other than that, a timing light is a simple device that flashes when the spark is delivered. It should be the last word.

With a DFI, the internal reference is fixed at 6 degrees (ala HEI ignition). This makes for some errors with systems that use a different reference angle. The Buick DIS for example, uses a 10 degree reference and you will see a 4-6 degree error when checking the timing. You may also notice that the error increases with RPM due to fixed delays in the ECU.

Lance

Thanks Guys, What kind of timing are you guys running on the calmap and at what boost levels with race gas. I went up to 25 on the calmap so that means I was running 31 degrees with 25 psi:eek: Lucky I didn't detonate! Still trying to get in the high 10's with a best of 11.5. Thanks!

Lance....

So DFI and Fast are totaly different in there timing? When we checked ours at the track up there at Mid Mich.. The timing on the laptop and thet timing on the Ballancer matched. Why did DFI do it with a 5deg difference? And Fast Leave it unchanged and match? Just wondering... Thanks!~Scott.
I've not had any experinece with DFI yet.

The DFI was designed around the old HEI ignition and it's 6 degree default timing. It was never really updated to interface with other ignitions properly. The FAST ECU has a programmable "Crank Reference Angle" Parameter that allows adjustment for the angle of the reference signal. If you have a Buick, you would use 10 degrees, an HEI, use 6 degrees, LT1, ~1 degree, etc.

Lance

OK, my car hasn't run well yet, and I thought I understood this. But just to be sure that I understand this right, on a Ford if I see say 30 degrees on the light and 30 degrees on the lap top, it's cool right? My crank reference angle is at 10 degrees. Thanks!

Originally posted by Bobo
OK, my car hasn't run well yet, and I thought I understood this. But just to be sure that I understand this right, on a Ford if I see say 30 degrees on the light and 30 degrees on the lap top, it's cool right? My crank reference angle is at 10 degrees. Thanks!

Correct.