California owners "watch out"

CA bases a lot of motor vehicle stuff on where the car is garaged.

Technically, you aren't breaking the law having the registration in another state (for example, lots of folks live in CA, but maintain a P.O. Box in AZ and register their boats there) at a 'second' residence. I'd say go for it!

Yeah, of course it's against the law. You're lying and that's fraud if you claim to live in a place you don't live in or have a vacation home you don't really own. Now, if you do have a vacation home in, let's say, Crescent City and the home is in your name and the car is in Crescent City, then you're okay. But, if you live in Los Angeles and own other cars registered in Los Angeles but the Grand National is in Los Angeles but is registered in Crescent City at your vacation home, that raises a lot of DMV red flags. Don't forget, this is a fairly common scam that the DMV has dealt with for decades so they know all the tricks. I have a friend with an old RX7, a real smog beater. He lives in Pacifica and owns a vacation home near Yosemite. The RX7 is registered at the vacation home and is sitting in the garage at the vacation home. No problem.

I was recently forwarded this email response to the proposed smog legislation. I thought you might want to read what was written.

Honorable Members of the Senate Transportation Committee:

I recently received a copy of a SEMA "Legislative Alert" regarding AB 616. I am in full support of AB 616 and I am completely opposed to SEMA's opposition to this bill.

For the record I own four vehicles that will be impacted when AB 616 becomes law; a 1987 Toyota truck, 1986 Toyota Celica, 1972 Ford Ranchero, and 1963 Ford Ranchero. I am not excited about having to pay for an annual inspection but I view it as part of my personal commitment to help clean the air in California.

I also must state that I am employed by the Department of Consumer Affairs and have worked on the Smog Inspection Program, and that I am a member of the Inspection and Maintenance Committee.

I have listed the points SEMA raises in their Alert and added my comments in bold italics. I urge the Senate Transportation Committee to approve AB 616.

A.B. 616 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

SEMA ignores the fact that A.B. 616 targets vehicles from 1992 (soon to be 1993) through 1976. SEMA knows all too well that the majority of these vehicles are not, and cannot, be considered vintage by any stretch of the imagination. SEMA further ignores the fact that there are millions of these vehicles being driven daily in California and that they have a huge negative impact on air quality.

A.B. 616 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

There is always the risk that someone who owns a highly desirable 1988 Ford Taurus will have it scrapped instead of saving it for posterity but really, would that be so tragic?

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

SEMA simply does not do the math. There are about 1,000,000 new vehicles sold every year in California. Vehicles 15-years old or older still account for many millions of the over 30,000,000 vehicles registered in California. Of these vehicles tests done by the State and independent sources show that model year vehicles from the early 1980s through the early 1990s have an extremely high failure rate, many of them failing within six months after they have passed a smog inspection.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

Again, SEMA ignores the fact that A.B. 616 is not about classic vehicles, but all vehicles 15-years old and older. And although it may be true that a classic vehicle is well maintained and infrequently driven, even a perfectly operating 1976 vehicle pollutes exponentially more than a new vehicle, negating the fewer miles driven.

A.B. 616 would increase the costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

This is the only 100% true statement SEMA makes. It is obvious that if you test a vehicle twice as often the cost will increase.

A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

No, A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to clean California's air.

Thank you for your consideration,
Bruce Hotchkiss
219 Greenway Drive,
Pacifica, CA 94044

I think the state of CA has missed the boat on the whole smog issue. It seems to me that the same cross section of poory maintained vehicles that contribute most to the smog problem suffer from all types of mechanical defects. If the state really wants to weed out the gross poluters they should have a full vehicle road worthiness inspection and check everything from brakes,lights,and tires to emissions. In doing this I think they would force owners of un-maintained, un-safe, poluting vehicles to retire them. I'm sure there would be a huge spike in mass transit in So Cal. too. It makes more sense to me that yearly emissions inspections.

Neal

I am a State Safety Inspector for cars and light trucks here in the State of Utah. We have alot of people from California moving here. I check tires, suspension, brakes, lights, mirrors, ect, ect. You would not believe how many are not safe enough to be on the road. The biggest thing I hear when I give them a Safety Inspection Failed "REJECTED" paper is that it is ok in California.

I am a State Safety Inspector for cars and light trucks here in the State of Utah. We have alot of people from California moving here. I check tires, suspension, brakes, lights, mirrors, ect, ect. You would not believe how many are not safe enough to be on the road. The biggest thing I hear when I give them a Safety Inspection Failed "REJECTED" paper is that it is ok in California.

That's because they never check the safety aspect of a car during their inspection process. They only care about the almighty smog check and collecting the dollars for it.
The entire 12 years I was living out there, my car was NEVER safety inspected, with one exception. When I moved there and went to DMV to register them, they made sure all my lights worked. :rolleyes:

Turbo Dave is right. The state used to conduct bi-annual safety inspections but stopped a long time ago. Now it's up to the cops. So, when they see no taillight, stoplight, headlight, etc., they pull the car over. However, there's no way they can know about bad brakes or shocks, etc. I think the state is waiting for the OBD III when they can monitor the safety, smog, and location of every car remotely through road sensors.

annual, bi-annual inspections are useless

Fraud is rampant, and the number of cars on the road causing pollution is becoming more and more insignificant every year as automotive technology improves

If there were no testing whatsoever I think it would have a negligible impact on air quality nowadays.

While not entirely comparable to CA, my home state of Florida got rid of annual testing about 7 years ago and there was a huge uproar. The environmentalists howled that Miami would become uninhabitable. 7 years later, there are more people than ever living in Miami and the air is cleaner than its ever been, WITHOUT automotive testing

Florida Achieves Milestone in Clean Air - 04/15/04 (4 years after smog testing was abolished, clean air milestone reached)

Fortunately there was no test only lobby to sway legislators in Tallahassee who legislated intelligently by going after the biggest sources of air pollution. They saw the facts, that only 5% of cars failed the smog testing program, and out of those 5%, a huge number used fraud or temporary fixes to slip through the cracks.

If California legislators had any sense and weren't bought and paid for by test only they would enact smart legislation that was worth a damn and wasn't so draconian in nature.

The best proposed idea I have ever seen on the subject was put forth by the Cato institute:

The Smog-Reduction Road: Remote Sensing vs. The Clean Air Act

Remote sensing without any under hood inspection.

That's because they never check the safety aspect of a car during their inspection process. They only care about the almighty smog check and collecting the dollars for it.
The entire 12 years I was living out there, my car was NEVER safety inspected, with one exception. When I moved there and went to DMV to register them, they made sure all my lights worked. :rolleyes:

Yes sir, all you guys have is a smog sticker. There is a few other states I think that does this also...New Mexico comes to mind but not sure. It's crazy that they worry a lot about emessions but really don't do a damn thing to help either. This whole thing about cats really blows. You're simply trading CO2 for SO2...as in Sulfer or Acid Rain. Just about everything they do is motivated by greed more than the enviroment.

Smog checks the real story in So. Cal.

This is just food for thought!

The reality of all the So Cal somg checks is really geared at crushing all the old cars that we are all so in love with. Then we can go out and buy some new vehicle that is imported from some other country so that we can continue to help their economy and not our own. But this B/S is sold to us all in the name of cleaning the air and now we all hear of global warming.

I like some new cars, but I still drive vehicles that for the most part are made in AMERICA. I have fought for this country and do love it as there is no better place this side of heaven.

P.S. I work in Long Beach and they were out there testing yesterday and they were out there approx. 1 month ago also.

Oops, where abouts in Long Beach, weekday or weekend day, morning, day, or night?

... I work in Long Beach and they were out there testing yesterday and they were out there approx. 1 month ago also.
:eek:
I recall seeing a random roadside smog check in Torrance a couple years ago, with a CHP cycle choosing cars to pull over.

But, I haven't seen any in the So Bay (roughly between LAX airport & Torrance) since then.

Yesterday 07/02/07 on PCH just east of Alantic Blvd @ 10:30 and they were still at it when I headed for the office @ 3:30 p.m. Just beware they are out and keep eyes open and get out of the lines if you can.

I feel sorry for you left coasters. The BS sounds like it so much thicker than it is in the other 49 states. You guys cant have charcoal grilles, plastic gas jugs and you have to have cats on the lawnmower. Boy it suks to be you. Why dont you move to FL? Its a trade off. We dont have earthquakes but instead we have high humidity. Well at least we dont IM testing.....yet.
It helps to be nuts to live here. If you don't believe it read some of my old posts. I'm deteriorating fast.lol If only San Francisco would break off & fall in the ocean & take all the liberals with it. This is where all the silliness & political correctness originates. Once an idea becomes popular here its only a matter of time before it infects every part of our country.

... Why dont you move to FL? Its a trade off. We dont have earthquakes but instead we have high humidity. Well at least we dont IM testing.....yet.
How well do cars hold up in FL ?
Does the humidity lead to premature rusting or "rot"?

I live about 3/4 mile from the coast in So Cal, and our year-round humidity is usually about 55-60% ... not too bad for car preservation.

Interestingly, the ocean-facing (west) side of my house is noticeably more weathered than the opposite side ... door knobs, hinges, exterior hardware are all tarnished & exposed nail heads are rusting ... but the away-ocean side remains pretty clean.

Fortunately my garage opens to the away-ocean side.

This is just food for thought!

The reality of all the So Cal somg checks is really geared at crushing all the old cars that we are all so in love with. Then we can go out and buy some new vehicle that is imported from some other country so that we can continue to help their economy and not our own. But this B/S is sold to us all in the name of cleaning the air and now we all hear of global warming.

I like some new cars, but I still drive vehicles that for the most part are made in AMERICA. I have fought for this country and do love it as there is no better place this side of heaven.

P.S. I work in Long Beach and they were out there testing yesterday and they were out there approx. 1 month ago also.
If you love this country & fought for it then it must be indeed sad to see it being lost with out firing a shot. Because were being over run & over populated & sold out by crooked politicians. Our freedoms have been steadly eroded & the worst is yet to come.

How well do cars hold up in FL ?
Does the humidity lead to premature rusting or "rot"?

I live about 3/4 mile from the coast in So Cal, and our year-round humidity is usually about 55-60% ... not too bad for car preservation.

Interestingly, the ocean-facing (west) side of my house is noticeably more weathered than the opposite side ... door knobs, hinges, exterior hardware are all tarnished & exposed nail heads are rusting ... but the away-ocean side remains pretty clean.

Fortunately my garage opens to the away-ocean side.

Cars definately rot faster in FL (I am originally from Miami) The complete lack of precipitation and extreme low humidity make CA a much better environment for metal to survive. That said, its not hard to maintain a car in FL as long as you keep it garaged and clean.

Yes sir, all you guys have is a smog sticker. There is a few other states I think that does this also...New Mexico comes to mind but not sure. It's crazy that they worry a lot about emessions but really don't do a damn thing to help either. This whole thing about cats really blows. You're simply trading CO2 for SO2...as in Sulfer or Acid Rain. Just about everything they do is motivated by greed more than the enviroment.

Right now there is only ONE county in NM that has emissions, Bernalillo, the county that Albuquerque is in. Gas vehicles from 1975 thru 1984 must be tested yearly. All newer gas vehicles are every two years. I run dual cats on the elky & an X-pipe, it'll pass every day of the year, just really frustrating that I have to pay $20-$30 a year for a "tax". The GN on the other hand can be made to pass in under 30 minutes, pass just as clean as a new car, then in under 30 minutes have the cat off and FP back up, so it only passes 1 - 2 hours of every two years:eek: . They don't care if the car shouldn't be on the road as far as safety, but it has to be clean:rolleyes: at the time of testing. Unlike some other areas (Maybe just CA?), cops cannot ask you to open your hood to see if you are not running smog equipment, and they don't look under the car to see if cats are there.

I can't get over you have to have cats on lawnmowers! It would be bad enough to have them on motorcycles, not to mention diesels!:mad:

:D :D

Anyways I'm all for trying to help the environment but I think CA takes it way too far.

Here in IL they realized it was only COSTING money to keep testing old cars. Newer cars you can just check the OBDII monitors and know that everything is in spec. Old cars still need to be put on the road simulator and all that BS, so they said screw it, no more tests for OBDI cars.

Umm.... where???? Out here in the suburbs, they are still doing the IM240 on ODB1 cars and everything else all the way back to 1965. ODBII are a plug-in test.

Did they get rid of the IM240 part for older cars? Since when? I had to test my 94 Suburban earlier this year....

EDIT.... I see they changed it February of this year.... SWEET! I can't believe it - Illinois did something that made sense for once.....