California owners "watch out"

Every time I see something like this, I am so thankful that I moved out of the People's Republic of KaliMexifornia!

all is lost !

they will do what ever big money wants, and big money wants old cars smogged,, why? who knows, gotta be $$$ in it somewhere.
my cars are lic in AZ, so is my drivers license, I just reside here to mow some more grass ( $$$)

sad , but true.

I feel sorry for you left coasters. The BS sounds like it so much thicker than it is in the other 49 states. You guys cant have charcoal grilles, plastic gas jugs and you have to have cats on the lawnmower. Boy it suks to be you. Why dont you move to FL? Its a trade off. We dont have earthquakes but instead we have high humidity. Well at least we dont IM testing.....yet.

KaliMexifornia!

:D :D

Anyways I'm all for trying to help the environment but I think CA takes it way too far.

Here in IL they realized it was only COSTING money to keep testing old cars. Newer cars you can just check the OBDII monitors and know that everything is in spec. Old cars still need to be put on the road simulator and all that BS, so they said screw it, no more tests for OBDI cars.

The test only lobby has the money and the drive to keep pushing for more.
Never mind that testing like that is ineffective.

California will have monthly testing before long.

I think I will open a test only shop to cash in on this.

In 2005 the Washington State Legislature and Senate adopted the complete CA emission regulations, including the visual, to be applied state wide. (At the moment only heavily populated counties have an enforced emission program.) Naturally signed by our Liberal Governor. The new regulations were supposed to be implemented by 2007.

I wrote to our Senator at the time stating my objection and received a 2 page "fluffy, feel good" letter in reply that said nothing.

Not that I'm complaining but it hasn't been put into effect yet. Dunno why it's been delayed but I'm certain it's in our near future.

I don't know how much longer I will be able to hold out.

I tell ya, John- that place is becoming only more and more of a nuthouse! About a year ago, I happened to pick up one of the major LA-area AM radio stations....it was about 10pm, and I was on my way home.

The traffic report from LA/OC at 10pm: " the 91 freeway from Buena Park to the 15 freeway is at a standstill.......:eek: "

No accidents, no car chases.....just some of the 22 MILLION people that live in the 5 county SoCal area........

Keep the Guvanator. Keep the pamphlets at the DMV written in 17 different languages. Keep the out of control legislation.

I'll keep my sanity, thanks!:cool:

In 2005 the Washington State Legislature and Senate adopted the complete CA emission regulations, including the visual, to be applied state wide. (At the moment only heavily populated counties have an enforced emission program.) Naturally signed by our Liberal Governor. The new regulations were supposed to be implemented by 2007.

I wrote to our Senator at the time stating my objection and received a 2 page "fluffy, feel good" letter in reply that said nothing.

Not that I'm complaining but it hasn't been put into effect yet. Dunno why it's been delayed but I'm certain it's in our near future.

Yea, just had to go thru it, Chris (I live in Pierce county). I must say that, compared to the Cal emissions test, this one was a walk in the park. In Cal, there's a pretty stringent underhood visual inspection before you can even take the sniff test. Have anything underhood that doesn't have an accompanying EO # and you may just fail the test.....that includes something as simple as a cone filter in the intake, or breathers.

Yea, just had to go thru it, Chris (I live in Pierce county). I must say that, compared to the Cal emissions test, this one was a walk in the park. In Cal, there's a pretty stringent underhood visual inspection before you can even take the sniff test. Have anything underhood that doesn't have an accompanying EO # and you may just fail the test.....that includes something as simple as a cone filter in the intake, or breathers.

We've been lucky over here in low populated Stevens County (no emisson test necesssary) but sadly when they put the new regs in place we'll all be up a creek.

I actually have an old not very good 109 block and a herd of slightly used parts ready to assemble to stock specs to use as a stock engine to pass the visual test when it becomes needed. Sucks to have to change engines to please the idiots.

Although the enviroweenies (mostly in the big city that begins with S) want to save the world, I hope it never gets to having to do swapouts to satisfy the emission gods.....

Let's start legislation that makes 20 year old venicles exempt.....

I just smogged the GN and passed with flying colors,..a real clean test. But, I had to use a real cap and not a breather on the oil filler, and I had to reconfigure the passenger side breather with a pipe and hose to a hole in the cold air intake. The smog tech was real careful to check to see that everything was hooked up correctly.

This is not about the environment. It's about money. In California, so-called "gross polluters", such as GN's, have to go to a "test only" facility. Now, a few years ago, there were only a few. Now there are thousands of "test only" stations with very expensive dyno equipment and with fewer older cars(1976-1992) required to get the every two year test. So, what's the solution? Yearly tests to keep these guys in business!

I wonder if you can register your car at a different address that does not require smog and just mail in the registration.

Yeah, there are several counties in the state that do not require a smog inspection. But, it's kind of tricky driving around in a car with your name on the title, with registration to another county different from your drivers license and home address.

Yeah, there are several counties in the state that do not require a smog inspection. But, it's kind of tricky driving around in a car with your name on the title, with registration to another county different from your drivers license and home address.

but is it against the law? or better yet will you get busted for it? you could always say that is your vacation home and you keep the car there. there is no law against having two residences..... and that residence does not have to be in your state...

Aactually, there are several counties and even areas within some counties where you don't have to have a smog inspection. For example Del Norte, Mendocino and others in Northern and North Central California. There are something like 52 counties, but roughly 32 require smog inspections. Here's the DMV website info:

Which counties require a smog inspection for the registration renewal?
Alameda Butte Colusa Contra Costa Fresno
Glenn Kern Kings Los Angeles Madera
Marin Merced Monterey Napa Nevada
Orange Sacramento San Benito San Francisco San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo San Mateo Santa Barbara Santa Clara Santa Cruz
Shasta Solano Stanislaus Sutter Tehama
Tulare Ventura Yolo Yuba

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.