Cali Cop Gets Off W/ Hung Jury

Red Regal T

The cop who threw the perp up on the car and punched him when he grabbed his groin had a hung jury in his trial. The prosecution could try him again but it is thought they will not. Gees, the guy only lost his job for doing his job.......subduing some violent guy who would not submit to arrest. Then, the people who he works for, the gov money grubbers, put the cop on trial for some stupid charge. Now, that's loyalty. I guess that's why cops are so nasty.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I guess that's why cops are so nasty.

Not all cops are nasty, ya know. Yesterday I responded to a call of a disturbance involving a gun. Turns out one of the neighborhood punk kids got into a mouth off with a resident then went home, got his new paintball gun, came back and threatened the resident with it. The resident left his 2 year old at the pool with a STRANGER and CHASED the kid in his car, hit a curb, flattened a tire and cracking his windshield, caught the kid and held him against his will till I got there. Now, the kid is a real troublemaker...but come on. Since both were morons, I didn't take either one to jail and told both if they wanted to press charges, talk to the state attorney directly. Well, the association president decides to call our police chief and say that I didn't do my job and arrest the kid and now my chief wants me to rewrite my report and possibly go arrest the kid.

How's THAT for support? True, the kid's wrong and I wish I could take him to jail...but the other guy was even MORE wrong, so IMO, if one goes they all go.

I'm not happy about the whole thing either way. I did confiscate the paintball gun though. :)

The cop who threw the perp up on the car and punched him when he grabbed his groin had a hung jury in his trial. The prosecution could try him again but it is thought they will not. Gees, the guy only lost his job for doing his job.......subduing some violent guy who would not submit to arrest. Then, the people who he works for, the gov money grubbers, put the cop on trial for some stupid charge. Now, that's loyalty. I guess that's why cops are so nasty.

I'm suprised they haven't started burning Los Angeles down.:eek:

Being a cop of 14 years you would think my opinion would be biased towards the cop on trial; however, I think that SOB cop was as guilty as the day is long and should have the book thrown at him! Yes the kid was a dirtbag, but damn, he was already cuffed and over the car. As a cop it is understood and preached that you will have to live with a degree of verbal abuse and the ocasional reach for the groin routine most scumbags will do when in cuffs. That dude took it too far, he was a hot headed punk cop with a 5' badge on his chest. It was a cheap shot on his part and he should pay for it. He gave all the good cops out there a bad image.

Some very good points. While I am not nor ever have been an officer of the law, I have many friends who are as well as some family who used to be.

In my opinion, when you put on that badge, you also need to put on a degree of professionalism. The problem with today's society is everyone in any position other than civilian is subject to the most stringent scrutiny. That is the reponsibility of the badge. If someone is unable to perform their duty with complete professionalism, then they bring shame and mistrust to the uniform nationwide. That kind of behavior does NOT set a good example.

If you, as an officer of the law, are not willing to follow the rules, how can you expect anyone else to? Lead by example.

John...you know it's a liberal thing....the count was leaning toward guilty:D . If it would have been me and he grabbed my nurts I would have beat the piss out of him:eek: :D

I wish I could make a decision either way but none of us were there.. If there were things that were "excessive" then everyone that thinks that he was guitly or not needs to realize that we are all human and there is always a re-action to action and sometimes as we see in the media maybe a bit too much in some cases.

TurboV6joe - I dont know where you are a cop at but by the signature it looks like the military ( sorry if I am incorrect).. IF that is the case there is a big difference between military and civilian. I know of many times personally that a suspect that was already in custody had to be fought yet again even in cuffs and only after 2 or more officers had to assist was the person restrained....

So to sit there and say guilty as the day is long is a bit ignorant..But that is what makes this country great we all have an opinion.

Wakkos---

I had a couple of these scenarios in the past obviously with different motives and outcomes, but to apease the brass and if PC exists 19/15 and move on(IMO). I hated the situations where I had to do a post mordem charge, really does not feel right.

mi dos centavos..

hey Wacco SS the problem with brass is that most of them were scared to work the street,but now they" know it all"

Adam,
Actually your 1/2 way correct. I started my police career in the military for 8 years and have been in civilian and gov't law enforcement up to the present. I've been there also and had to fight a cuffed suspect, but going by what the video showed, the suspect was subdued by the mass of LEO's already on him and that cop came in from behind and clocked him. Granted getting your junk grabbed by anyone sucks, but my point is that the kid was cuffed, there was at least 3 other cops on him already; the situation was comming down to a reasonable level when the kid got hit and had his face smashed into the trunk of the sedan. Come on Adam, you as well as I know that the dude was wrong in what he did. Anyway which way you look at it the cop was out of line and should have been found guilty of JUST WHAT HE DID, nothing more! IMO he should have been convicted...plain and simple. If you or I pulled a stunt like that with our dept's. you bet your ass we would be hung out to dry...rightly so! I'm a proud supporter of cops, probably a little too supportive at times; however, when a cop goes bad he needs to pay...that's it! At a former job I was the local FOP president and backed my officers to the hill if you did right. If you did wrong and were blatent about it, your ass paid the price and I wasn't there to back you and pretend you were doing your job the way you should have been....black and white....no grey! Anyhow, I'll believe what I want and you the same and we'll go about our business just as well. It's not often you'll see me support the dirt bags, but when it comes to what is just and what is wrong...there is no room for deviation....cheers!

Gees.......political correctness run amok. Even the cops think they should take physical abuse. You guys are brainwashed by all the crazy liberals running around trying to bring this country down. Professionalism? Give me a break. You guys must be getting training on how not to incur the wrath of the powers that be.

When you are ordered by the police to do something, you should do it. Not that hard to comply with. If you don't do it, there's obviously something wrong with you and you should suffer the consequences. The whiners are taking the authority away from the police and giving it the criminals.

When you are ordered by the police to do something, you should do it. Not that hard to comply with. If you don't do it, there's obviously something wrong with you and you should suffer the consequences. The whiners are taking the authority away from the police and giving it the criminals.

I agree with this statement 100 percent. The officer lost his job which is punishment enough in my opinion. I love the way the media deals with this stuff. Cops are citizens of this country too and have the same constitutional rights as everybody else. Just because we put on the blue suit doesn't mean we give up our rights to a fair trial, counsel, etc etc. The guy had a good lawyer who did his job and picked a good jury and the officer might be able to move on with his life which seems fair to me. That's how our system is set up to work.

Mike

the reason why he got off is cause the charge was too much. I think the guy was guilty thou. To clock someone in the face that is handcuffed shows you don't have balls. I hate scum bags worse than anyone but that film doesn't lie, that was an assult. Even if the kid called his mom a dirty ho, that gave him no right to sock the P.O.S. in the mouth. neither the cop nor the kid were the real victim, i think society is gonna be hurt by this. Things will keep getting worse between blacks and whites and blacks and cops. But the main point is that we are talking about CALIFORNIA, no offense to those who live ther but that place is a dump and the US will be much better when it cracks off and floats away.

Originally posted by whitehot84
Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

agreed... people see what they want & take it at face value. if they were in the same situation, how would they have handled it? "oh excuse me, violent wrong-doer... would you please get into my squad car?" sorry for the sarcasm, but whatever :rolleyes:

I have mucho experience with cops on both sides of the fence. On one side as a "criminal" as most of you would call me if I told you some of the stuff I pulled, and on the other side as a former EMT.

Fortunately, many of the cops I dealt with in my youth were intelligent enough to realize I was not a "criminal", just misguided. During this time I directly witnessed several situations in which the "criminal" put up much more of a fight than the guy in that video did and was restrained with much less use of violent force. The cops in these situations were professionals and handled themselves as all officers should.

Unfortunately, most of the cops I worked with during my short time as an EMT were not intelligent. During this time I witnessed one situation in which the "criminal" had his ass kicked for next to nothing and two other very disturbing situations which I will not go into. I quit because I could not stand dealing with these types of cops.

The simple fact is that being a cop is one hell of a tough job, and if you do not have the ability to conduct yourself in a professional, honorable, lawful and intelligent manner regardless of the situation you should be handed your walking papers. No if's and's or but's about it, it's that simple. If you can't think and function correctly under pressure you don't have what it takes to be a cop so you shouldn't be there.

I am with turbov6joe, that officer could have handled the situation much better than he did and because of his action he has made all officers look bad. He let his anger control him and that is downright dangerous when you have a gun and a badge. I don't feel he should have faced criminal charges since he was grabbed and there were no permanent injuries to the suspect, but I do feel he should lose his job and not be allowed to work in law enforcement ever again. As an upholder of the law he should be held to a higher standard, not a lower one.

There are too many cops out there that work hard to do the right thing in tuff situations, such as the one WakkoSS described. I feel allowing cops like the one in the video to remain in service hurts everyone. It's time to allow the good cops to get back the trust and respect they have rightly earned and deserve, and get rid of those that haven't.

Chris S

This isn't about liberal or conservative; and for the record I am a conservative. This is about wrong and right. The problem with the whole situation is that the cop should have never put himself in a situation to get his genitilia grabbed. But I understand stuff happens. But just because it does, that does not give someone a right to break the rules. It would have been one thing of the perp went after his gun, then I think he would have been justified in taking ANY action to prevent the situation from getting worse. But come on, there were 3 cops on the guy, he was in handcuffs, and the cop was justified for taking a couple of shots at him? I think this comes down to self control. And for those of you who think that professionalism is NOT a requirement when that uniform gets put on...You are the very essence of what is wrong in this country. Its no wonder the police have a bad rap when you have those who walk the beat and break the rules whenever they feel like it. I was a kid once also and had my share of run-ins with the boys in blue and I can tell you that when they crossed that line with me and acted unprofessional; it didn't make me respect them more, but quite the opposite.

My hats off to every policeperson here or anywhere for that matter. The human debris you guys have to put up with everyday is unfathomable to most any ordinary citizen. Then you have to be on the streets dealing with those idiots also. It's sad that the police forces have been put under the watchful eyes of small interest groups and politically correct politicians. A cop’s job is a nasty one at best. Why do people wonder why you have to handle some of these anti social a$$holes the way you do? These people need to understand while you are very professional, when someone is trying to hurt you , by any means, you are justified to fend them off in any manner. You never know what something may turn into. You can't afford to wait and see how it works out. You have to control the situation immediately. If someone tried to grab your unit, I'm sure you would clock them also, whether they were in handcuffs or a wheelchair. I think everyone should have to go on one ride along a year. That would remind them of just what you guys put up with on a regular basis. There may be a very small percentage of bad cops out there, but it's a much smaller percentage than the scumbags to the general population are.
^5 and thanks much to all of you. Your job is a harsh one, changes your whole life and that of your families, and I think is far more important in instilling knowledge of life than teaching ever could. YOU GUYS DESERVE A BIG RAISE. Only problem with giving you a raise is that Gray Davis needs the money to pay his personal staff. lol,,,,,Mark :D

Mark,
You are so right.....and that is what I was talking about when I said liberal thing. 30 years ago this would have NOT been an issue...why....because liberals did not have the power they do now. Political correctness along with a few groups are killing this country slowly!