Cal or others... Magneto conversion

Fuelie Nova

OK... not a buick but I bought my XFI setup from Cal and have learned a lot from this board.

I want to convert a old Vertex magneto to a dual sync setup. Any thoughts? I hate to trash my fast dual sync dist for parts. Does anyone know of a supplier for the pickup and cam setup inside the fast dual sync?

Thanks
Tom

Tom,
I can't remember your exact setup, but, it might be easier to throw a crank trigger on it. Then you could use an autometer inductive pickup that clamps on the #1 spark plug wire for a cam signal.

Cal and others
Thanks. I am converting a hilborn stack injection intake to efi. I wanted to gut an on magneto (just to have the old school look) and make a dual sync dist out of it.

I am looking for the cleanest way to get a cam signal, I was hoping to fit it inside the magneto body.
Tom

My pleasure. Don't hesitate to give me a call if you need any help phasing everything in.

Thanks... one thing I forgot about is the coil being on the inside of the magneto.... not sure how that might affect things :eek:
Tom

You are in uncharted territory so I can't say for sure how noisy it will be. A hall effect sensor would be better than inductive.

Well this just got easier... I called Joe Hunt magneto's and they will build a dual sync setup that works with XFI in a magneto base. Price aint bad either!
Tom

Tom,
I can't remember your exact setup, but, it might be easier to throw a crank trigger on it. Then you could use an autometer inductive pickup that clamps on the #1 spark plug wire for a cam signal.

Would this be the product mentioned above ?

Autometer # 5210 Inductive Trigger:
Auto Meter link to product

5210_d.jpg

Would be great to use instead of a pick-up inside the distributor for cam sync, for use with a distributor and crank sensor for the XFI box

Thanks

Thanks Cal, I soldier joints and use heat shrinkwrap tubing to finish off connections as a habit. Nothing worse than having electrical problems bringing the ride to the side of the road.