C5 Zo6 had the bite to back up the bark.

darkred87T

It was a beautifull day today so I decided to take the Buick to work. On the way home tonight I had some quick run ins with random Hemi Chargers, G35s, Q35s, A Jeep Commander (WTF?) ect..ect..ect..They were all over before it had to get ugly.

Anyhow, I ususally don't go around street racing but I was almost at my exit on the highway when I spotted a yellow C5 ZO6 just cruising along in the left lane. Everyone seemed to be keeping their distance from it and trying not to pass it. I figured it was just a plain ole' C5 so I darted around to the right of it and jumped back in front of it in the left lane. Out of the corner of my eye as I was passing I thought I noticed a ZO6 badge but didn't think much of it.

I went on my merry way thinking it was just another Corvette owner who was too good to play but much to my surprise...... as I crested the hill before my exit, I looked in my miror and noticed some blue HID's right on my bumper. It was the Corvette. He took the bait and tried to get around me but I was able to hold him off and he kept getting stuck in traffic behind me. Thinking this was just plain stupid with traffic, I put on my turn signal to get off at my exit. As I was on the exit ramp, Mr. Corvette comes up next to me and starts revving the engine. I must say it had a nice sounding bark to it and it looked clean. At the last second I threw caution to the wind and blew off my exit to follow it.

Finally we get some open road and the Corvette slows down to let me come up beside it. Before I had a chance to get right up next to it, he guns and I follow suit. I kept up for a few seconds but then it slowly started to gain on me. By the time we let off he might have only had a car length on me. I got a quick ever so insulting reverse light flasher but when I got up beside him again I gave him a thumbs up and smile and it was retruned with the same gesture.

I can't say I'm dissapointed. The Regal did well against the almighty ZO6 even thought it was only a C5. As I was nearing my house I kind of laughed to myself as I realized I almost kept up with this awesome car with my 1987 Buick Regal, lol.

Moral to the story, kills are good but it doesn't hurt to get smacked down every so often. Maybe now it will prompt me to get that bigger turbo I keep putting off.

Cliffs:
Got mixed up with a C5 ZO6 on the highway and got the smack down.

They are not all slow. Friend of mine just sold his 03 ZO6 w/ a blower. Made 660 to the wheels. It was brutal on the highway. The Buick definately does not have aero dynamics on its side like the Vette. Looks like its time for a bigger turbo;)

It didn't sound like it had a blower but it did sound nice.

I have the waste gate wired shut on my GT3255 and I'm still not getting enough boost. I think a bigger turbo is going to be the works soon.

I hear ya on that. I got walked by a ~04 GTO last night from a 60mph roll. I just didnt have enough for him even with the 61 blowing 24psi.

Sounded real good though.:smile: Pretty color too.

Yeah those LS motors can pack a punch and they do it N/A. I think had it been a stop light to stop race there might have been a different outcome. He was a stick so I was getting the jump as we were trying to get through the congestion but when we hit the open road I was clearly out powered.

I got MT 245/60's waitintg to go on the back and I think if I had a 61 turbo with more boost I could have kept up with him at least for a little longer.

On a side note, I'm going to look at a low mileage 2000 Z28 M6 tommorow for a DD. Maybe I'll get bit by the LS1 bug and buy it. :biggrin:

Gotta respect the C5 Z's. They are capable of running 11.9's with the right driver STOCK, so unless you have some decent mods on your GN, you're in for a beating. My buddy just did a twin turbo on his 02 Z06 and that thing is a beast!

i had a cammed 00 trans am 6 speed t tops

610 lift comp cam all supporting mods with it, headers no cats no mufflers intake, tune,

i baselined bone stock 310

intake lid and filter with tune 330

cam and headers 393rwhp

383 rwtq gonna dig up some pics lol sad to say the guy i sold it to in october hit a piece of wood and cracked the oil pan

Gotta respect the C5 Z's. They are capable of running 11.9's with the right driver STOCK, so unless you have some decent mods on your GN, you're in for a beating. My buddy just did a twin turbo on his 02 Z06 and that thing is a beast!

That's about what I run. It was no 1/4 mile race though. More like starting at the 1/8 mile. ;)

I ran into a guy this weekend who just did the twin STS set-up also on an 03. He did not do an ALKY install, so he only gets 5 psi out of each turbo. That is alot of $$$ for 10 pounds of boost. I would have done NOS way cheaper than 2 turbos. He has no tires and doesn't seem to be to agressive. Everyone at our Back to the 50's fest was ooohing and aaahing over it all weekend. It is a really nice car, but Vettes do nothing for me. Rich guy toy usually driven by a white haired yuppy with a fake-boobed wife named "Kitten" or something like that. I would have loved a shot at it. My ET Streets hook like glue with 16#'s in them. As soon as I get my boost issue figured out, I got another match-up with a 67 Chevelle 427 that is supposed to run 11.2's in track trim. Im hoping they are wrong and it is more like 11.7's. On the street he should be 12 flat maybe???

Good thread,
Coach

I ran into a guy this weekend who just did the twin STS set-up also on an 03. He did not do an ALKY install, so he only gets 5 psi out of each turbo. That is alot of $$$ for 10 pounds of boost. I would have done NOS way cheaper than 2 turbos. He has no tires and doesn't seem to be to agressive. Everyone at our Back to the 50's fest was ooohing and aaahing over it all weekend. It is a really nice car, but Vettes do nothing for me. Rich guy toy usually driven by a white haired yuppy with a fake-boobed wife named "Kitten" or something like that. I would have loved a shot at it. My ET Streets hook like glue with 16#'s in them. As soon as I get my boost issue figured out, I got another match-up with a 67 Chevelle 427 that is supposed to run 11.2's in track trim. Im hoping they are wrong and it is more like 11.7's. On the street he should be 12 flat maybe???

Good thread,
Coach
sounds you described the typical lambo/ferrari/porsche owner, not corvette. remember, most "rich guy toy" owners usually look down their noses at the american built, "low class", CHEVROLET corvette

which meadville PA are you located in? if its Lancaster county, i could give your Buick a good run in my vette as youd only be about 45 minutes away. but mines only a lowpo LTX motored 96'. Ill let you know now... i dont have white hair, am not loaded, and dont have a plastic enhanced wife :wink:

sounds you described the typical lambo/ferrari/porsche owner, not corvette. remember, most "rich guy toy" owners usually look down their noses at the american built, "low class", CHEVROLET corvette

which meadville PA are you located in? if its Lancaster county, i could give your Buick a good run in my vette as youd only be about 45 minutes away. but mines only a lowpo LTX motored 96'. Ill let you know now... i dont have white hair, am not loaded, and dont have a plastic enhanced wife :wink:

I live in the Northwest corner of Pa. We get hundreds and hundreds of Vettes that come thru here every summer. Bair's Corvettes is located about 15 mins from my house. It is a big resto shop for early 60's to early 90's. He works on all Vettes and has several including an 06 Z06 with that monster 600 hp engine. I see so many Vette owners like I described it is not funny. They leave me alone because most of the time I have my blower car with me and they def know when to say when. I do not think my car is super fast, but it is what it is. As soon as I get the new engine in it, then I will call it fast. Hoping for 650 at the rear wheels. 250ci with a Te45a, should kill most anything. I would travel to ya, but without the "plastic enhanced wife", whats the point???LOL. If I get clobbered, at least I would get to see a "hottie".;)
Take care,
Coach:biggrin:

I live in the Northwest corner of Pa. We get hundreds and hundreds of Vettes that come thru here every summer. Bair's Corvettes is located about 15 mins from my house. It is a big resto shop for early 60's to early 90's. He works on all Vettes and has several including an 06 Z06 with that monster 600 hp engine. I see so many Vette owners like I described it is not funny. They leave me alone because most of the time I have my blower car with me and they def know when to say when. I do not think my car is super fast, but it is what it is. As soon as I get the new engine in it, then I will call it fast. Hoping for 650 at the rear wheels. 250ci with a Te45a, should kill most anything. I would travel to ya, but without the "plastic enhanced wife", whats the point???LOL. If I get clobbered, at least I would get to see a "hottie".;)
Take care,
Coach:biggrin:
figures... youre in the other location thats 6 hours away... oh well

now i see why you described vette owners as you did... most guys who drive the "restored" vettes are older and remember driving those cars when brand new and want to relive the experience. it does cost big $$ to have a midyear or older vette gone through, and those types now have the cash to build the car they dreamed of owning when they were young. Most vette guys i run with are in their 20s/30s and drive C4s/C5s. completely different kind of car guys

my car isnt super fast either... its a LT4/6speed with only a hotcam and a tune. everything else is bone stock, right down to the exhaust manifolds. the car made 344hp to the rear wheels and ran 12.2 at 116mph with the stock 98k mile clutch on street tires. got a centerforce clutch and B&M short throw going in along with a set of Mickeys over the summer... shooting for high 11s. after that, a future 125 shot should put me damn close to the 10s without needing a new motor

too bad youre so far away or i could change your mind of what a Vette owner consists of. oh, and my GF may not be "plastic enhanced", but at only 22 years old, shes waaaay too young for her body to need such alterations ;)

my friend at work just did has ls1 n it would be hard 2 beat just a cam n heads freshen up the bottem end 2002ss

darhredt,scojack,prolem is you guys are starting the race right where it favors the vette 60 to 80 mph,i see 11 sec on your cars but there is only 112mph and that is were the other problem is ,the zo6 cars trapp much higher.both your turbo's are capable of 120+mph trapp speeds just goota find the mph and run those cars from a standstill;)

darhredt,scojack,prolem is you guys are starting the race right where it favors the vette 60 to 80 mph,i see 11 sec on your cars but there is only 112mph and that is were the other problem is ,the zo6 cars trapp much higher.both your turbo's are capable of 120+mph trapp speeds just goota find the mph and run those cars from a standstill;)

Yeah, stop light to stop light would have been a different story. My turbo is a GT3255. I have the wastegate wired shut and I can still only get 22-23 pounds out of it with my current heads and cam set up. That 11.8 run was on almost all 93 octane with the alky knob barely turned on. Also I was only running 26" tall tires.

The last time I was at the track I was spinning like crazy and only running in the 12s but my trap speeds were more like high 113MPH. With the taller tires on it now, traps should be a little higher.

Yeah, stop light to stop light would have been a different story. My turbo is a GT3255. I have the wastegate wired shut and I can still only get 22-23 pounds out of it with my current heads and cam set up. That 11.8 run was on almost all 93 octane with the alky knob barely turned on. Also I was only running 26" tall tires.

The last time I was at the track I was spinning like crazy and only running in the 12s but my trap speeds were more like high 113MPH. With the taller tires on it now, traps should be a little higher.

Yeah, I know my MPH is down. Dont know why though...:( My car with 1/8 mile like crazy though!!! Gonna toss a Dutt neck at it and see what happens. Maybe when I get my laptop back I can get some PL logs out of it.

I cant play around on the street anymore now. Had to take the Mickeys off. Failed inspection, so I put a set of 245 BFG radials out back. Now I need to relearn how to drive this thing! Half throttle in 2nd and 3rd is all over the road...:eek: