Buying a car in autotrader sight unseen

Indy500XC

Im thinking of buying a car from someone off of auto trader (an 87 GN) Im in NYC and he is in IL. I want to just send him a check and put the car on a car transporter and have it shipped here but im nervous seeing as there is so many things that could be wrong with these cars. If someone has some info for me that would be great, or if someone could maybe go look at the car for me that would be better, its not that I dont trust the person its just that its alot of money im spending. Thanks

Do you have the seller's name? I've seen lots of folks on this board for Il, maybe somebody knows him, can vouch for the car, etc.
It's worth a try.
I would not buy a car sight unseen, unless it was an absolutely steal (and hopefully not stolen).

NOT A GOOD IDEA. Unless you ask for lots of photos to be mailed to you.
Or take the weekend & fly out or take train to go & see it.

If the car turns out to be OK & you buy it. You & the seller can drive/tow it to a local storage rental unit.

By you renting a storage place in CHI-town will allow you to go back the NYC & get the registration in order. You can pre pay 2 months of the storage unit by then spribg will be here &
you can drive it back when the conditions get better.

Does this make sense?

Just Guessing....

I'm pulling a number out of the air....But, I'd say that there is one chance in 500 that things would go the way you're dreaming about buying this GN sight unseen.

A bad idea.

I suppose you'll hve to get stung a few times before you'll feel the need to be cautious. Go ahead, thats the way I learned ;) Put another way, thats how I got these grey hairs :)

Best Regards

It's definately a chance game but I can say that I sold my first 87 GN from Dallas to a guy in Fort Myers Fla sight unseen except pics. I've also been involved in the buying of an 87 GN in Chicago and a 72 GS 455 Stage 1 in Kansas City sight unseen except pics. The GN I had delivered on a transport and the GS we drove to pic it up. Either way all my sight unseen buying experiences have been good. Call the owner of the car you are interested in and talk with him. You'll know by a long conversation about the car whether he's legit or full of bs.
If you do decide to buy sight unseen only pay with cashiers checks.
Hope this helps, good luck.

bought mine off autotrader

I bought my GN off a guy in yonkers but it had a pic showing the car.
ask him to send u some pics.

Good Luck
FRANKIEz

I bought my first TR sight unseen from Dennis Kirban. Turned out to have bad suspension and (I discovered later) two bad cylinders. NEVER again will I do that.

On more than one occassion listers have asked me to go look at cars for them in my general area. I looked at a TTA and a Limited T for two listers that ended up buying them and were very happy. I would start there.

LOCAL GUY HERE GOT A LOW MILEAGE 87 OUT OF NEW ENGLAND...........BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, CAR. I TOLD HIM HOW EXTREMELY LUCKY HE WAS.

HOW LUCKY ARE YOU? :confused: :eek:

Buying cars is a crap shoot....

No way to be absolutely sure. I got burned on my '87 GN and it was local. The car looked great but the motor was full on N/A 3.8 parts. On the flip side, I bought my 1936 Chevy from a guy on AutoTrader.com who was 900 miles away and had a great experience. He sent me digital pics at my request of any area of the car that I wanted (undercarriage and close ups too). I agree that a lengthy phone call and an assessment of the sellers willingness to send you pics/info go a long way toward making your decision. With specialty cars you almost always have to travel to look at 'em.
And of course, there's the sad tale of the "never fired, fresh built, standard bore short block" that I bought from Mr. Moran!!!!!!

Just my .02.

I just bought Paul Mcgraths 86 GN he send me all kinds of pics and a video and answered all kinds of questions.I just got a good feeling from Paul i took a chance and bought car without flying to NFLD.Try to get a video it helped me decide good luck.I also got alot of info from this site by reading Pauls past posts.

Car

Is it just me or did anyone else notice no one from Il. offered to
give any help. Maybe no one has read the post. I would want
someone qualified to look at the car, or you could be getting a great deal.Either way good luck.

John

Re: Just Guessing....

Originally posted by lburou
I'm pulling a number out of the air....But, I'd say that there is one chance in 500 that things would go the way you're dreaming about buying this GN sight unseen.

A bad idea.

I suppose you'll hve to get stung a few times before you'll feel the need to be cautious. Go ahead, thats the way I learned ;) Put another way, thats how I got these grey hairs :)

Best Regards

Hmmmmmmmm..........:D

I also can't believe no one has suggested an inspection service either, esp if no locals are available to look at it for you. I always encourage buyers of my cars to have them inspected if the pics and narrative don't answer all their questions. Of course, I do go a little overboard in those depts anyway, so no one has ever taken me up on it. :D

dhauser, just so you know my post was not refering to our TTA bidness in any way....but a desire for that TTA did kind of bite me, it was love at first sight ;) There was no sting though....Just pure pleasure :)

My rural heritage taught me to trust people. That trust has made me an easy target a few times in my life. But, I've grown a bit cynical after a few lumps.

Indy500XC, take some or all the advice offered here and save yourself a PITA.

I would NEVER buy a car sight unseen. I have purchased two cars long distance. Both were fine, but still .....................

dhauser, just so you know my post was not refering to our TTA bidness in any way....but a desire for that TTA did kind of bite me, it was love at first sight ;) There was no sting though....Just pure pleasure :)

My rural heritage taught me to trust people. That trust has made me an easy target a few times in my life. But, I've grown a bit cynical after a few lumps.

Indy500XC, take some or all the advice offered here and save yourself a PITA.

I know, Lee. I was just teasin' ya...:D

I'll go take a look at it if it's not to far from my house. I can even take some pics and send them to you if the owner won't. If the Chicago GS board was up I would tell you to post there and see if anyone knows the owner. Email me and give me the guys name and address maybe he is a member of the Chicago Chapter. If it's not a members car and another member is closer to it than I am I can ask someone to take a look at it for me. For the most part with the exception of one person that I've met everyone thats a member of the Chicago Chapter knows thier stuff about these cars and are always willing to help.

The car is in Peoria, IL If anyone is near there I would really appreciate it if they could go look at it, id be happy to pay them for their troubles.

My rural heritage taught me to trust people. That trust has made me an easy target a few times in my life.

But, I've grown a bit cynical after a few lumps.

That's certainly understandable, Lee.

Psychopathic sleazoid rip-off-artist con-men couldn't survive without abusing lots of trusting people throughout their life.

I still believe in the basic goodness in most everyone, but I'm acutely aware of the reptilian sub-human mutant exceptions to the rule.

(With apologies to all honest reptiles)