Buyer Beware! Guy is trying to rip someone off.

LomoMike

GN Rookie
Hey guys, this came up on CL and wanted to give people the heads up. This car was up on eBay for $7600 buy it now and I've seen it in person. Guy probably paid $7k for it. Runs like shit, needs a few grand in body work plus paint and possibly even more in tuning to get it running right. Body of car is ripping into one of the tires because the guy chopped the springs, has 150k miles (he didnt should post mileage on ad). Guy is trying to rip people off, this car needs lots of TLC, is a barely running project, and should be advertised that way.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5327501143.html

Wow he could have at least cleaned it up a little.The wheels have crazy brake dust!

Geezuz, what it wrong with people? My 86 has nearly 180,000 on it and still looks show room new!!

How is the seller trying to rip people off? Is the car stolen? No title?
Hes asking double what he got it for/double what the car is worth at best. This is a $6500-$7000 car with the condition its in and the way its running. Ive seen it in person.

Hes asking double what he got it for/double what the car is worth at best. This is a $6500-$7000 car with the condition its in and the way its running. Ive seen it in person.

Your opinion of the value of the car is sure different than someone trying to commit a crime. Again how is the seller trying to rip someone off? What the seller is asking may not equal what they will sell it for and surely doesn't mean they are trying to rip someone off.

I love how the map sensor hose is wrapped across the motor,especially over the down pipe...

Your opinion of the value of the car is sure different than someone trying to commit a crime. Again how is the seller trying to rip someone off? What the seller is asking may not equal what they will sell it for and surely doesn't mean they are trying to rip someone off.
And i had John Csordas (president of the GS/GN club of the North East) come and check this car out with me. He is a pretty reputable guy with these cars and shared my opinion.

Never said the seller was committing a crime...just trying to give ppl on here a heads up on an overpriced car that may save them a trip.
And i had John Csordas (president of the GS/GN club of the North East) come and check this car out with me. He is a pretty reputable guy with these cars and shared my opinion.

You stated in the title of this thread to Beware that someone might be getting ripped off. That is a crime. The above link to the NADA value guide clearly shows the seller is in the ballpark for an "asking" price. Next time you rely on an "expert" make sure they have an up to date NADA guide book. It's Nice to see the values coming back on these cars!

You stated in the title of this thread to Beware that someone might be getting ripped off. That is a crime. The above link to the NADA value guide clearly shows the seller is in the ballpark for an "asking" price. Next time you rely on an "expert" make sure they have an up to date NADA guide book. It's Nice to see the values coming back on these cars!
Think you need to chill out on how literally you are interpreting the meaning of "rip off". To me a rip off is a bad deal/buyer severely overpaying for a car. Which, in my opinion, 13.5k for this car is a "rip off". Like i said, if a person is interested in this car they should go see it for themselves. I am just giving the turbo buick community a heads up because i have seen the car in person and deem it to be not worth anywhere near the asking price.

I must ask, because of the dislike of one of my posts, are you selling this car or have you seen it in person?

Geezuz, what it wrong with people? My 86 has nearly 180,000 on it and still looks show room new!!

my 84 T Type had 58,000 miles on it when i got it in '04... but it sat out in the sun with a blown head gasket for 13 years before i got it, so the bumper fillers are gone and the paint on the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunklid) is baked off and all the black trim (headlight buckets, window trim) is faded to a dull gray... oddly enough, the interior looks almost mint except for one small tear in the driver's seat and the saggy headliner..

regarding the car that this thread is about: it looks like it would be a decent car to pick up for $10k.. then get it running right, put in some proper springs, and start working on making it pretty again... so for about $15k total it would be a car worth somewhere in the mid $20k range..

I doubt that "...trying to rip someone off" , which is what the original poster said, is a legal term therfore he said nothing about a crime. You may equate that to an actual crime but that is your opinion/interpretation I suppose. You seem to be quick to jump to the defense of potentially overpriced cars lately; got something for sale?

my 84 T Type had 58,000 miles on it when i got it in '04... but it sat out in the sun with a blown head gasket for 13 years before i got it, so the bumper fillers are gone and the paint on the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunklid) is baked off and all the black trim (headlight buckets, window trim) is faded to a dull gray... oddly enough, the interior looks almost mint except for one small tear in the driver's seat and the saggy headliner..

regarding the car that this thread is about: it looks like it would be a decent car to pick up for $10k.. then get it running right, put in some proper springs, and start working on making it pretty again... so for about $15k total it would be a car worth somewhere in the mid $20k range..
Needed new paint to be a $20k car.

I doubt that "...trying to rip someone off" , which is what the original poster said, is a legal term therfore he said nothing about a crime. You may equate that to an actual crime but that is your opinion/interpretation I suppose. You seem to be quick to jump to the defense of potentially overpriced cars lately; got something for sale?

I was not on the defense of a potentially overpriced car. I was trying to get people to stop posting on a thread of a sold car. I could care less how much these cars are worth on any given day & truly hope that every one of my prior Turbo Buicks (25+) brings there new owners good fortune & happiness.

Think you need to chill out on how literally you are interpreting the meaning of "rip off". To me a rip off is a bad deal/buyer severely overpaying for a car. Which, in my opinion, 13.5k for this car is a "rip off". Like i said, if a person is interested in this car they should go see it for themselves. I am just giving the turbo buick community a heads up because i have seen the car in person and deem it to be not worth anywhere near the asking price.

I must ask, because of the dislike of one of my posts, are you selling this car or have you seen it in person?

Your opinion is its a rip off. Fact is there is no rip off being done here. I also think it's priced to high but again the seller is not trying to rip someone off. The seller is certainly reaching for the stars on price but it seems market pricing has him in line for "asking" that price. Again the NADA guide shows him not ripping off anybody. I have no connection with this car & wish you luck on your search for your first Turbo Buick.