bumper guards

iwantatta

Had a little fender bender with my 87 buick and i've been given a list of things to find that are discontinued. I've found a couple of them (drivers side lens/marker and lower driver side air dam).

The one i'm having difficulty with is the front bumper guard. I've found the rubber strip that goes over the bumper guard, but the bumper guard itself looks to be a little twisted. I'm guessing the rubber strip that goes over the bumper guard is called the bumperettes to.

Anyone know where to get the front bumper guards or has one?

Thanks

I have a nice set( not show quality, but nice) for $60.00 shipped.

Bryan

The rubber strip alone won't do you much good. You can't easily replace the rubber strip, as there is a metal piece welded in the inside of the bumperette that prevents you from getting to one of the studs. So if you locate a bumperette, make sure the rubber is satisfactory. I hope you didn't break the grill, as new ones are $300.

The rubber strip alone won't do you much good. You can't easily replace the rubber strip, as there is a metal piece welded in the inside of the bumperette that prevents you from getting to one of the studs. So if you locate a bumperette, make sure the rubber is satisfactory. I hope you didn't break the grill, as new ones are $300.

Is this a simple job to do? I may just have them finish off everything else and do the bumper guard job when i come across the part. From the looks of it, the grill is still in tact. The body shop also did not list it as one of the parts that needs replacing.

The bumperette is attached to the bumper through an access hole in the back of the bumper. The body shop will have to remove the bumper- not a hard job but if insurance is paying for it I would let them remove the bumper and install the bumperettes. How about the impact strip? That's the long plastic piece that goes the length of the bumper. They have to remove the bumper anyway to install the impact strip. I would also make sure the accident didn't push the bumper into the bumper fillers, nicking the paint on the fillers. There is also a grey plastic piece about 3 feet long that attaches to the top inside part of the bumper. If you push in the grill you will be able to see it. I don't know the purpose of it, except maybe to keep water from going into the bumper and rusting. Check to make sure it isn't broken. If so, you could probably get one from GBodyparts.

The bumperette is attached to the bumper through an access hole in the back of the bumper. The body shop will have to remove the bumper- not a hard job but if insurance is paying for it I would let them remove the bumper and install the bumperettes. How about the impact strip? That's the long plastic piece that goes the length of the bumper. They have to remove the bumper anyway to install the impact strip. I would also make sure the accident didn't push the bumper into the bumper fillers, nicking the paint on the fillers. There is also a grey plastic piece about 3 feet long that attaches to the top inside part of the bumper. If you push in the grill you will be able to see it. I don't know the purpose of it, except maybe to keep water from going into the bumper and rusting. Check to make sure it isn't broken. If so, you could probably get one from GBodyparts.

Yeah the impact strip took the most off it along with scratching the bumper. On the quote they did mention front grille filler to bumper. Those parts they said they were able to get as they weren't discontinued parts.

Gbodyparts.com seems to be the best so far to find some things. So far i've found the marker lamp lens and lower air dam from them.

It sounds like they are going to remove the bumper. It also doesn't sound like a job i'd want to tackle to put the bumperettes on. So hopefully i can find one.

"iwantatta", if you're still looking for some front bumperettes, I have a decent set for sale at $30. for both + shipping...Let me know if interested...I also have the plastic grille "filler" $20.

Thanks,

Claude. :wink:

I'm confused?? To many seem to call bumper gaurds, bumperetts, park lights marker lights ect. NONE of the bumper parts are hard to change but you have to remove the bumper and there's a zillion nuts to remove to change out the parts. Bumperetts are the little rubber strips that mount on the front of the metal bumper gaurd. Park lights are the amber lights in the front bumper and marker lights are the lights mounted next to the headlight. Impact strip is the long rubber like strip that goes clear across the front of the bumper.The bumper gaurds have been gone for along time. The park lights and lower air dams are still available from your local GM dealer. Hope this helps you and you get fixed up ok.

I'm confused?? To many seem to call bumper gaurds, bumperetts, park lights marker lights ect. NONE of the bumper parts are hard to change but you have to remove the bumper and there's a zillion nuts to remove to change out the parts. Bumperetts are the little rubber strips that mount on the front of the metal bumper gaurd. Park lights are the amber lights in the front bumper and marker lights are the lights mounted next to the headlight. Impact strip is the long rubber like strip that goes clear across the front of the bumper.The bumper gaurds have been gone for along time. The park lights and lower air dams are still available from your local GM dealer. Hope this helps you and you get fixed up ok.

The bumper guard bumperettes thing initially got me confused when i was looking for the parts. It wasn't explained to me until i went to the repair shop and showed him the pics of the bumperettes (rubber pad). He mentioned i needed the metal part because it looked twisted. I really need both the bumper guard and bumperettes

This is the light that looks to be damaged
GBodyParts.com Online

I installed the 'bumperette/guard' assemblies on my car (they were missing from a previous accident) without removing the bumper. As I remember, it took a bit of a contortionist act under the front of the car, and a unique combination of socket/extensions, but wasn't a big deal... took maybe 20-30 minutes.... just sayin'...:wink:

I installed the 'bumperette/guard' assemblies on my car (they were missing from a previous accident) without removing the bumper. As I remember, it took a bit of a contortionist act under the front of the car, and a unique combination of socket/extensions, but wasn't a big deal... took maybe 20-30 minutes.... just sayin'...:wink:

Thanks, all great info so far.

The bumper guard bumperettes thing initially got me confused when i was looking for the parts. It wasn't explained to me until i went to the repair shop and showed him the pics of the bumperettes (rubber pad). He mentioned i needed the metal part because it looked twisted. I really need both the bumper guard and bumperettes

This is the light that looks to be damaged
GBodyParts.com Online

Front bumperettes
GBodyParts.com Online
We also have the front rubber new
GBodyParts.com Online
I can wave the core fees on the bumperettes. Normally we get them in & they are just faded or have surface rust. I will not be able to do anything with a bent bumperette.