Bumper Fillers

chadly

I uncovered the car today to find a hole in my front filler. One of the kids probably dropped something on it. They are original so it was time anyway. What are my options? I really lost interest in the car the last five years or so and have not paid much attention to whats out there. What did you do and are you happy with them?
Thanks.
Chad

If you do a search you'll get lots of opinions on this subject. Basically, you have 3 options:

Spoolfool - Imo the best of the best. Hand laid fiberglass and comes in high gloss black gel coat finish so if you have a black car you don't necessarily have to paint them unless you're after a perfect color match. I have these on my car and couldn't be happier.

Gbodyparts GM Original Style Fillers - Soft like the original fillers but may need some prep before painting.

Danko - Cheapest of the 3 options. Some have had good success with them but many more complain about fitment issues and amount of prep needed before paint.

Depending where you are in the country, Spoolfool might be able to help you save money on UPS.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fronts are still available from GM.

GMpartsdirect.com

12336191 LH $96.75
12336190 RH $81.54 (gmpartsdirect says discontinued but I just picked one up last fall - so worth a shot)

I bought a front set from SpoolFool and they were great. Everything lined up perfectly, no modifications were needed in my case. They looked great too, no need to have them painted. Very simple install, there is an instruction video you can watch too in the fabrication section. I'd recommend them as it seems you are looking for a pretty simple solution instead of ordering another set, taking them to a body shop to get painted, then installing. True 1 step with SpoolFools.

I use a spoolfool one piece rear with G-Body parts original style fronts. I like more flex in the front because we all know how these cars are.
Beautiful fit from both places!!

Thanks for the input on this thread. I had the horrific event (for me anyway) happen to me yesterday. I was wiping the front down with detailer and put my hand right through my passenger side one. My car was repainted in 1998 with base and clear in garnet red metallic so I am going to have the challenge of finding a shop that can match what will probably be considered a custom color. Kind of sick about it right now, but events that happen to us are all relative, right? I am thinking I will buy the fronts from GBody and then just take it somewhere to have it done. I don't trust myself.

Thanks for the input on this thread. I had the horrific event (for me anyway) happen to me yesterday. I was wiping the front down with detailer and put my hand right through my passenger side one. My car was repainted in 1998 with base and clear in garnet red metallic so I am going to have the challenge of finding a shop that can match what will probably be considered a custom color. Kind of sick about it right now, but events that happen to us are all relative, right? I am thinking I will buy the fronts from GBody and then just take it somewhere to have it done. I don't trust myself.
Steve....there's a guy in ne Iowa who is selling a set of NOS fronts, and I will have a set of gbodyparts OEM fronts for sale as well.

Yep, I know that feeling of breaking through the fillers all too well...
If you want to try and install them yourself its really not that difficult. These videos that Mike made makes it even easier if you've never done it before. Good luck!

Thanks for the vids.

Keith, I will contact you. I need to find a body shop I can trust to paint match them unless you want to give me the ones off your car. :)

My car is not liking me this week. I just noticed my oil filter has a pin hole in it from rubbing against metal. It was peeing into the metal bracket next to it and dropping down. At first I thought I blew a rear main seal until I investigated and found the source. On the plus side I have gotten so many comments on the car out driving around. One guy thought it was the rare Buick with the BIG engine that is worth 100k. Lol

Last edited:
Glad to hear you still have it Steve....last we talked, you were looking at having to get rid of it...:eek: