Building a Turbo V6 From Scratch

gpracer89

Hello All!

I do not have Buick, but am strongly considering building a 3.8L V6 turbo engine for my 1969 Corvair. I want to put the engine in the stock, rear engine configuration. My two main engine choices for this are a 4.3 L Chevy or the Buick 231. I really lean towards the Buick as it is a smaller, lighter engine than the Chevy and turbo parts are readily available. I would want to keep it as simple as possible and use a carburetor and as few electronics as possible. Absolute HP is not the goal. What parts are necessary to build and where is the best places to locate. I noticed an aftermarket turbo/exhaust "kit" on Ebay; is this a start?

A "slight" complication to swapping an engine into the Corvair is that you have to change the engine to reverse rotation, (cam, distributer gear, starter, water pump), but parts are out there as this is fairly common in marine applications. Don't think this will affect my turbo questions. (The Corvair transaxle also will need an adapter to the Buick. I have a Corvair to Chevy V6/V8 as a starting point.)

This would be a great swap; the 231 is only around 25-40lbs heavier then the flat 6 and won't affect handling much. There is a bit of a connection here as we are staying GM & I think the Corvair was the first turbocharged American car.

I know this is kind of different, but you guys know this engine and I would appreciate your help!

To give you a clearer idea, here is a a very neat Corvair with a normally aspirated Buick V6.

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/brekke03.html

Welcome to the board. I've moved your post to the B4black section since you want to do a carbed turbo engine. You're got a choice of blow through or draw through. If you want draw through then the original design that was made from 78-83 may just work for you. The 78-81 have their own knock control unit and specific knock sensor that have gotten hard to find. The other option is to go with a control box from J&S electronics. For a better idea of how the early systems work go to www.beforeblack.net. Rich's site has a ton of info that should help.

Blow through can use the same basic control systems or you can get more complicated.

id go blow thru.... if you have more check book power then fabrication power this is by far the easiest for the amount of horses you can make. for something that just makes enough power, a stripped down carb turbo system would be pretty nice too. id base the decision off of budget.

Do it, Love the Corvairs and with a Buick v6 in the back ohh yeah.
A lot of guys have already swapped in a Buick 300 and a 340 as well as the 215 in the rear of the Corvair. I might be able to dig up more stuff.

There is a yellow Corvair that shows up in Bowling green with a turbo V6...

Bryan