Building a 4.1 need a good combo

magee

Iam the Alpha and Omega
OK got a 4.1 i have a steel crank cali rods sorry if i spelled that rong pistons ,iam getting campion cnc ported head ?? do they come cnc ported aluminum ones, I need a cam some guys tell me i dont need a big cam because of the turbo , dont know but i want a cam i can run on the street to and pull a nice number like 9.90 or 10.00 ,do i need steel billet caps good or a girtle also iam getting a campion intake with the billet fuel rails,what turbo i can use that will pull in the 9.90 and spin up fast and i got to get a stall speed maybe 3500,stall stock gears in the rear if someone has a combo that will put me in the 9s please lmk and will this 4.1 hold up thanks or maybe 373 gears.thanks

For 9.90's your going to need alot of $$$$$$$$, a good engine builder and a better guy that know's how to tune your ride.

This cannot end well.

OK that scared me whats the most i can get out of the 4.1 without it breaking in half can i run in the 10s without any problems lmk need info if iam all rong on the 9.90 sombody put me were ill be safe at ... thanks

maybe do a search on the 4.1 block. I know personally you can do it with a stock 3.8 block.:cool:

she ittt, they said someone had a 4.1 stock block doing 9.60's or so last year at reynolds. i'm about finished building my first one, using stock parts. will it work or last, i don't know, but i'm hoping for the best.

We ran 10.009 @130mph with a 4.1 block on drag radials shifting only at 5K with a crappy torque converter. 27 psi boost on 110 race gas.

The combo as follows;

0.30 over
J&E pistons
BMS rods
Brand new GM standard crank
RJC girdle
Ported & polished Iron heads with 1.77/exh and 1.50 intake valves
Erson 218/220 Flat tappet cam
ported lower intake
Accufab 70mm TB and plenum
Poston headers
120 lbs injectors
older Fast system
Liquid cooled intercooler
GT 42/76 turbo
Turbo 400 with trans brake
Ford 9" with 3.73 gear
No name torque converter (too loose, major slippage)
Four inch down pipe with an external gate

Race weight with the driver 3460lbs

The motor had many low 10 sec passes, I will say around 50+ or so on E85 and 110 race gas.
Finally the thrust bearing was wiped out, my buddy tried to spool up a the monster GT 42/76 on foot brake for about 20 seconds because the connection to the trans brake came undone. I think the motor would have gone consistently into the upper 9's without any issues shifting around 5600 to 6K.

HTH

Prasad:D

she ittt, they said someone had a 4.1 stock block doing 9.60's or so last year at reynolds. i'm about finished building my first one, using stock parts. will it work or last, i don't know, but i'm hoping for the best.

Those guys were running 9.80's...3.55 stroke crank and 2 steel center mains. AC, steel bumpers, full weighted car....Think I was told 3735 lbs with driver. Heck it's even still has all the factory sound damper under carpets & seats.

holy cow, i just notice the time in your sig. what happened?

The Buick or the WS6? :wink:

The Buick came off the line, hit about 30psi and blew the intercooler pipe off right at the throttle body, so I cruised the rest of the way :rolleyes: :mad:

At the same event the next year (Ford vs. Buick Shootout in Noble), in the same lane :rolleyes:, I sprayed the WS6 off the line and almost had an up close meeting with the wall before I finally straightened her out and moved down the track :mad::mad::mad:

OK that scared me whats the most i can get out of the 4.1 without it breaking in half can i run in the 10s without any problems lmk need info if iam all rong on the 9.90 sombody put me were ill be safe at ... thanks

Low 10's at 129 here. The only problem I have had with it is me doing stupid things with the tune.

4.1 build

Low 10's at 129 here. The only problem I have had with it is me doing stupid things with the tune.

Thats what i want to hear, so far i got JE pistons 9.6 forged steel crank crower rods,Now i need a cam, turbo,heads iam going for champion or t/A intake,injectors what size i dont know yet, a good fuel system iam a little confused here if i buy a fast system is that the fuel system with a fuel pump:confused:the turbo engines are pain compair to a SBC or BBC two blue pumps fuel system done...also on a 4.1 how high can you spin it 6500, 7200without it comming a part, so i can get the best cam for this engine and make the most power...reason is i never had a 4.1 thanks

I built a stroked stock block 4.1 setup for a guy.
It has ported alum heads,224 reed/ duttweiler cam
Champion Intake,roller rockers,etc...
I am modifying a set of ATR headers to
make them 4 bolt and having a custom Downpipe made for it.
Running a 4 bolt 76GTS turbo.
should be done within a few weeks.
It will be dyno tested then to see if it takes track torture

also on a 4.1 how high can you spin it 6500, 7200without it comming a part, so i can get the best cam for this engine and make the most power...reason is i never had a 4.1 thanks
See PM. You wont be spinning this stock block that high if you want it to last more than 5 seconds. 6500-7200rpm in a turbo ohv application would be for the fastest of the fast. They are running low 8's high 7's with Buick v6 based engines and have the best of the best in their engines. You should be shooting for an operating range under 6k rpm. I also highly suggest getting an XFI from Otto. You will be up and running in no time.

Ok guys i changed one thing its still 4.1 but i bought a t/a block aluminum now bison really help me alot very upstanding person on the forum with someothr guys as well,iam using the same parts and iam ordering heads from tom at champion well not me but a vendor cnc ported now i want to drive on the street so plus i want to run the numbers like 980 or 10.00 more 9.90 so can i do this with r heads or conventional heads .when the block is here i'll post pics, and of the whole build also i was told to run a solid roller for better power. or can i run a hydrolic roller and get the same power thanks for the help.....tring to be fast

Just got my T/A block in post picks just learning how to post them heads are on there way too got them from tturbo990 a set of champion R cnc ported all refreshed ready to bolt on, thanks, and iam going with a solidroller cam bigone with a 70gtq turbo 70mm body and house lmk what you guys think about the build thanks magee..