Build Time

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
Okay... this is going to be the first engine Ive ever built. Im thinking that if I get a standard 3.8 block that it doesnt have the turbo return holes setup, and that the block may not be able to handle the stress of turbo/turbo's

Im sticking to a budget of $2,000 to start and im relying on you guys to help me out. I was thinking if i get a junkyard block or get mine reconditioned, what GN parts will work on this engine (ie cranks, valvetrain, cams, flywheels, headers, turbos, valve covers, ect.) Im probably getting in WAAAY over my head but I want to attempt to do a twin turbo setup, the problem is is finding the proper exhaust headers.

So will the above GN parts work on this block???

1) I wanted to go t-type or gn heads ported and polished With valve covers
2) Smokey yunick or offenhauser hi-rise intake
3) demon 650cfm blow through carb
4) now heres the hard part to go single turbo or twin turbo. I can find 2
budget turbos, and find stock t-type/GN headers but I cant find a good
twin turbo header setup
5) Earl brown covers with a cloyes douple roller timing chain.
6) Oil pump, I dont know......
7) balancer, I dont know....
8) lt1 springs, lifters, ect
9) I found some neat forged pushrods that are never supposed to flex. I also
picked up some dog bones.
10) forged pistons, wrist pins, Journals, connecting bolts
11) I need some rocker arm ideas.....
12) Ill get my transmission rebuilt later.
13) I found several 8.5 rear ends at the local pull-a-part that I might jump on

so gimme your opinons please.... no polluters:mad::mad:...... here I go...

First off, you cant build a blowthrough car for $2000. You'll be in the $2000 range just getting the thing running right. IMO, dont even turbo the car yet. Just drop the NA V6, and drive it around for a while. Collect the stuff for the blowthrough, another engine completely, then drop it and and yank the NA 3.8.

Ohh, and unless the 8.5" rear is under a G body, it wont fit. Some have tried to put a rear from a 91C cop caprice, but it takes new UCA's. The best bet is a 12 bolt from a 68-72 A body, or a 9" ford. In reality, the 7.5" will handle whatever you throw at it as long as you dont put slicks on it and launch at the track.

Okay... this is going to be the first engine Ive ever built. Im thinking that if I get a standard 3.8 block that it doesnt have the turbo return holes setup, and that the block may not be able to handle the stress of turbo/turbo's

Im sticking to a budget of $2,000 to start and im relying on you guys to help me out. I was thinking if i get a junkyard block or get mine reconditioned, what GN parts will work on this engine (ie cranks, valvetrain, cams, flywheels, headers, turbos, valve covers, ect.) Im probably getting in WAAAY over my head but I want to attempt to do a twin turbo setup, the problem is is finding the proper exhaust headers.

So will the above GN parts work on this block???

1) I wanted to go t-type or gn heads ported and polished With valve covers
2) Smokey yunick or offenhauser hi-rise intake
3) demon 650cfm blow through carb
4) now heres the hard part to go single turbo or twin turbo. I can find 2
budget turbos, and find stock t-type/GN headers but I cant find a good
twin turbo header setup
5) Earl brown covers with a cloyes douple roller timing chain.
6) Oil pump, I dont know......
7) balancer, I dont know....
8) lt1 springs, lifters, ect
9) I found some neat forged pushrods that are never supposed to flex. I also
picked up some dog bones.
10) forged pistons, wrist pins, Journals, connecting bolts
11) I need some rocker arm ideas.....
12) Ill get my transmission rebuilt later.
13) I found several 8.5 rear ends at the local pull-a-part that I might jump on

so gimme your opinons please.... no polluters:mad::mad:...... here I go...

to tell you the truth if i were you; i would just get the junk yard motor do a stock rebuild with maybe a bigger cam and the earlbrown mod. head porting if you think you can do it yourself or have the time. all you need is a long block and swap all the parts over on your engine over to it. i think the idea for you is just to get the car to run and get you to and from school/work.i dont want to be rude but i dont think doing a blowthru setup is for you there is alot of tuning. your budget doesnt have enought in it to do a wild twin turbo blowthru setup. i say save your money and rust stick with the drawthru setup. btw did you vote for me.

I'm not going to cramp anyones style. Your budget is realistic for a single turbo setup with the most epic deals on parts ever, I mean your going to have to be a sharp shopper on this.

I'm not going to cramp anyones style. Your budget is realistic for a single turbo setup with the most epic deals on parts ever, I mean your going to have to be a sharp shopper on this.

ya mean like my friend turbokinetic who built a complete intercooled turbocharged SFI (LG3) engine in his 87 century sedan for $1700 not counting labor? he did the same method; most epic deals on parts and lots of elbow grease and home fabrication, especially the turbo mounting bracket and pipes....
actually; this also took him a long time to get together, but he also have 2 or 3 other running cars to use as DD. 83turbo, whats your current daily driver? not the 83 buick i hope?
AUTO PARTS
craigslist is your friend when it comes to finding deals. ask the seller if the engine is from a RWD car or FWD car.(being an 82, it should be RWD..)
GM Buick 231 V6 engine
hey lookit, its rather complete! and looks good too! for that moeny, you can afford to get that engine rebuilt..
not sure bout this
BOLT ON TURBO & QUADRAJET CARB.
doesnt say if it includes manifold or other necessary parts, but if its still available...

ya mean like my friend turbokinetic who built a complete intercooled turbocharged SFI (LG3) engine in his 87 century sedan for $1700 not counting labor? he did the same method; most epic deals on parts and lots of elbow grease and home fabrication, especially the turbo mounting bracket and pipes....
actually; this also took him a long time to get together, but he also have 2 or 3 other running cars to use as DD. 83turbo, whats your current daily driver? not the 83 buick i hope?
AUTO PARTS
craigslist is your friend when it comes to finding deals. ask the seller if the engine is from a RWD car or FWD car.(being an 82, it should be RWD..)
GM Buick 231 V6 engine
hey lookit, its rather complete! and looks good too! for that moeny, you can afford to get that engine rebuilt..
not sure bout this
BOLT ON TURBO & QUADRAJET CARB.
doesnt say if it includes manifold or other necessary parts, but if its still available...

that all should help. he can still have the turbo too all he has to do is swap the parts over like the headers, intake, turbo, carb, and so on. i see there is one you can hear it run i hope he goes for it. it would be his best bet.

If it were me, I would do single turbo(your stock turbo) and buy or make some new up & downpipes to work as blow through... latter when the cash is there, get a bigger turbo(T3/T4 or bigger with inter cooler) and a new set of up & downpipes... you don`t really need 2 turbos, when you can just use one big one. First step is to swap motors and then hit up ebay, creaigslist and maybe some people on here... if the price is right:rolleyes: I am going to find a Holley carb and a better intake for blow through too... remember tho, tuning a blow through is going to be a pain azz. Ask Adam, I bet he will yell ya:biggrin:

Here ya go:eek:
BRAND NEW CHEVY 383 STROKER TWIN TURBO MOTOR

Im in waay over my head. Im going to do kinda what Adam did to his car. I found a GNX turbo with an .83AR and a .42 Compress on craigslist. Im gonna get a new block probably. Im gonna use as many grand national parts that I can get my budget on. (charlie Ill be pming you about some porting)

trust me I am... as of now, your my mentor... Sensei:D

Im in waay over my head. Im going to do kinda what Adam did to his car. I found a GNX turbo with an .83AR and a .42 Compress on craigslist. Im gonna get a new block probably. Im gonna use as many grand national parts that I can get my budget on. (charlie Ill be pming you about some porting)

Not a problem Ramone. As far as your budget it may be just a little low. So far with the parts I've got now and the parts I need I have about 4 years into this oddesy.:eek: You really don't want to know how much I've spent gathering parts though.:( The "GNX" thrbo isn't a GNX turbo, it's a stock C/T turbo from the numbers and won't do any better than the one you have now. Just as an example, the machine work I want will cost me $2K just for the block.:eek:

Not a problem Ramone. As far as your budget it may be just a little low. So far with the parts I've got now and the parts I need I have about 4 years into this oddesy.:eek: You really don't want to know how much I've spent gathering parts though.:( The "GNX" thrbo isn't a GNX turbo, it's a stock C/T turbo from the numbers and won't do any better than the one you have now. Just as an example, the machine work I want will cost me $2K just for the block.:eek:

so forget the GNX turbo? only 110 dollars. I Wanted to do what Adam did to his car. If I rebuild my engine, I know it will be able to handle the power of the turbo and the block is setup for the turbo. If I get a new block, Ill have to get all of the right parts. Im setting an Max budget of 2500. Since I just bought an RV 500 is going to get it going. Dodge makes a serious 440:D

did you not see the links i provided of all the complete engines you could use as bases for your blow thru engine?

a few hours is not way too far man. there are NONE on your seattle craigslist listings probably because theres so many jeep and toyota truck people up there! lol

i mean..a few hours of driving, depending on what car you have, then $150-200, maybe 300 for a running engine, versus $6-900 for one from a junkyard because its carbed and in a regal....I'd take the cheap ones and drive out since its worth it man. didya know a citation/X body can haul a buick engine in the trunk/hatch area with little problems, as long as its got a v6?

a few hours is not way too far man. there are NONE on your seattle craigslist listings probably because theres so many jeep and toyota truck people up there! lol

i mean..a few hours of driving, depending on what car you have, then $150-200, maybe 300 for a running engine, versus $6-900 for one from a junkyard because its carbed and in a regal....I'd take the cheap ones and drive out since its worth it man. didya know a citation/X body can haul a buick engine in the trunk/hatch area with little problems, as long as its got a v6?

I dont have any means of hauling an engine. The only vehicles we have are my regal, and an 85 marquis sedan, not the grand marquis. Im not able to get a U-haul. Id have to get them shipped. Its kind of a headache in my situation.

whatever happened to that X11 you were talking about before? and you know, the buick engine is not that enormous compoared to the rv's 440, it;ll fit the Marquis Sedan's trunk, if it's running?

whatever happened to that X11 you were talking about before? and you know, the buick engine is not that enormous compoared to the rv's 440, it;ll fit the Marquis Sedan's trunk, if it's running?

what.... the X-11 I didnt have enough money for, and I wasnt trading my 32in LCD tv for it either aint happenin:mad: The Marquis trunk is Not very big at all and the RV is not going anywhere anytime soon. BTW the x-11 was a coupe not a hatch with a 4 banger.