Buick vs Ford 2012 CANCELLED

mrstage1

To all racers and fans this is pretty much the hardest post I've ever had to make.

I am cancelling the Buick vs Ford race scheduled for October 13th.

I know many of you had been wondering what was gonna happen since the track appeared to be having trouble opening for the 2012 race season. Now you know and I am both disgusted, saddened and frustrated for having to cancel this event. In February I signed a contract and paid a sizable chunk of money out of my own pocket to make sure we were gonna have a facility. I made most of the arrangements and I THOUGHT we were set. All I asked was for the race to be "officially" added to the schedule of events so that everyone could rest easy knowing it was "official". In late spring I hadn't seen the notification posted on the track's facebook page nor the track's message board being reinstated. I kept in constant contact with the owner and he assured me repeatedly we were good to go. I continued working towards getting all the promotional stuff ready but I knew we would have nervous racers until it was posted somewhere by the track. I started to get nervous phone calls in July and kept up calling and reassuring people as I was being reassured that it was all good and the track owner was just "bad at the internet" so not to worry. About August it came to a point I had to positively get confirmation that we were still on despite no official track schedule. I called the owner once again and he specifically told me to go ahead and advertise as we were gonna have a track to run on. I then posted what I though to be true because I take a person for their word. Then we come to where we are at today. I tried contacting the owner a few weeks back to once again get reassurances since I was about to place a sizable order for T shirts and it isn't cheap to do so. He answered and sounded sick, said as much but said he would get back to me shortly. He never did. I have tried calling for 3 weeks and get an answering machine every time. No one ever calls me back. I talked to Dick Walker and other racers and came to the conclusion that if I didn't hear from him by the 13th weekend I would cancel as I can't in good conscience tell guys travelling 10 or more hours to show up unless I had a guarantee'd, lockdown, no question, set in stone "We are gonna be open." with proof on a computer screen. I absolutely have no problem with people thinking bad things about me and how this worked out, but I am not gonna add making people drive halfway across the country to find a locked gate and no race. So I have decided to call it so people that have plenty of time to cancel reservations and rearrange their Nationals trip schedule.

I also am reluctant to shove the track owner under the bus as he may very well be sick and cannot do anything about where we are at today. Either way it is a freaking tragedy as I truly love this race and personally will miss the fun I have every year attending. I especially feel saddened as this happened on my watch and feel responsible for letting everyone down. I feel had I not trusted someone's word a little earlier I could have had the option to enact plan B and we would still be having this race.

So once again, It's my responsibility and I apologize for letting you all down.

Thanks, Mark Shackelford(mrstage1).

PS: I would be more than happy to avenge my failure and MAKE SURE we have an event next year even if I have to build a damn track myself. All the sponsors I have talked to plus an undisclosed aftermarket parts manufacturer are still in for me if the racers would support this. If you in good conscience can't support giving me another go at it I understand and I will be there to race for anyone who wants to step up.

Once again Thanks to all who WERE going to attend.

There is aslo a gas staion with e85 near the track. Sounds like you did everything YOU could. If more than 1 person is involved with anything it seems like Murphys Law applies exponentially every time. I was lookin forward to a buick event in this part of the country and hope it can happen next year.

I'm sorry to hear this but if they're no alternatives there's more than enough time to plan for next year.;) Sometimes no matter how hard you try things just don't work out so how about trying to get next year planned before anyone else tries to get a good date.:D

Thanks for all you did Mark, I appreciate all you did to try to get this event going again. Definately sounds as if you did everything you could. I'm all for it for next year.

John Plog

Sue his ass for your expenses. That'll provide him an incentive to answer the phone, and act like a grownup...

I must apologize to everyone for the shootout not happening this year. For years now I've been going to the shootouts (even drove for other people a couple times) and had so much fun I would tell Tracy Hooper every year that I wanted to have my own car entered. Long story (kinda) short, about a month ago I decided I've been out of racing long enough and after blowing up many (I've lost count) sbc engines in my Vega I told Mr Hooper we needed to put in a turbo 6 and have it ready for the shootout. Several thousand dollars and many hours later the car is getting close and would have been ready for the shootout. This is a perfect example of my luck, I feel like I have done my part to kill the shootout and I'm very sorry. ;)

Just think of it this way. You've got an extra year to work on the car and get it perfect for next year.;)

Still working on it as hard as I can to get it to the track. I'm hoping for a Buick track day or something like that soon, it'll be fun. Yes, a year of tuning and seat time won't be the end of the world.

Sorry to hear about it. If you're taking suggestions, I would suggest Gateway Motorsports Park outside of St. Louis for next years event. Nice facility and a huge pit. Centrally located in the country. There are also plenty of Mustangs to beat up on around here. I would be more than happy to volunteer my time to the cause. If I'm not mistaken, the shootout used to be here back in the day.

Wow this just really blows!!! Sorry to hear about what happened well there always next year.............Noble perhaps would be nice home sweet home.

As far as bringing it back to Thunder Valley Raceway Park in Noble, OK, would it make a significant difference to those involved with organizing this event if the management has changed for what I perceive as the better? To this day I really don't know the whole story as to why that venue was unable to be continued.

The individuals that have been hired to take over the management and organizational duties of TVRP have a great wealth of experience and would be highly interested in having this event return to that location. Some of you may or may not know the names Larry Croft and Nick Duty, but their entire family has been involved with running drag racing venues since the 60's. They are especially sensitive to making sure that safety, track preparation and a no nonsense environment are top priorities. Nick has already started the process of creating new events as we speak. For what it's worth, I can help get you in contact with them and put in a good word for you.

If there is any way to bring it back to TVRP, I think it would really be good for this long standing event and its traditions. .02 :)

Sorry to hear about it. If you're taking suggestions, I would suggest Gateway Motorsports Park outside of St. Louis for next years event. Nice facility and a huge pit. Centrally located in the country. There are also plenty of Mustangs to beat up on around here. I would be more than happy to volunteer my time to the cause. If I'm not mistaken, the shootout used to be here back in the day.

Gateway would be awesome. I bet it would be expensive though, this is no small track and is under new ownership as of this year.

Bryan

It was my understanding that Dick Walker, who always put on the event, decided that he didn't want to do it anymore. I think its alot of work & stress to put on an event like this, so someone would have to take the initiative to organize the whole thing again just as Mark did. Unfortunately the track Mark tried working with screwed him over.

Well Okie Buick guys get something set up to have it setup in Noble once again. Heck keep the tradition going guys. I really enjoy going out there in October so I understand it takes lots and lots of preperation. So every year october calendar is marked to Okie and well weird that not going in that direction this year.

John is correct, I did say I no longer wanted to be the promoter of this race. I love this race and the people we are privileged to host. I have been very fortunate to have very good help presenting this event, particularly on race day. Those people are volunteers year after year and we have fun doing it. Expenses have increased in all areas and the attendance has not, particularly on the Buick Team. This is a year long promotion effort for some of us that make a commitment to make it happen. This is a numbers race in order to be competitive as a Team. This is why we ask all year for those of you who enjoy coming and participating to let it be known and try to promote any and all cars/trucks that could qualify. The track owner offered to make a better deal and bring the help that I had requested if we chose to return. A dedicated individual/individuals with a staff of supporting personnel can make this happen. I still have, and will always have a Buick to race, along with my Son and Grandson. Someone step forward. Dick Walker