Buick Skyhawk Turbo

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
I'm thinking of starting a project sticking with a turbo Buick powerplant. I thinking a mid to late 70's Skyhawk would be killer. They came with a 231 V6, nice and light, rear wheel of coarse. I think I would start with a donor GN and pull the computer etc. I haven't done something like this before. What are the major obstacles?

The biggest obsticle is interference with the steering gear. The solution is to convert to rack and pinion steering.

Attachments

• Skyhawkengineinstalled2.jpg
    Skyhawkengineinstalled2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,333
  • Skyhawkengineinstalled3.jpg
    Skyhawkengineinstalled3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,482
  • Skyhawkengineinstalled1.jpg
    Skyhawkengineinstalled1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,345
Wow Carl, that's a great looking car! From what I can see that is... Looks like you're doing things right. So what hits the steering? Exhaust? Intercooler? Do the engine mounts work?

I think that it was the A/C compressor that hit the steering box. I want to keep mine as it will be a driver. The rest of the car is not as nice but first it has to be up and running, then body and paint. The intercooler is modified and mounted in front of where the radiator will be. Up and down pipes are custom. The stock mounts work but we put a HR Parts-n-Stuff poly mount mount on the left side. Some trimming on the passenger side with a custom down pipe. Some modifications to the driver side exhaust manifold to clear the steering shaft. This is not a bolt in and go! You have to want to make it happen.

That is all easy, ;) I am stuffing mine into a 73 Vega GT and the tunnel is smaller than the 75 and up H-bodies. The block doesn't fit at all by about 2 inches so the firewall has to be modded first then I can deal with steering and 3" downpips mods. :D Your Skyhawk looks awfully shiney and straight.

Neat install. Did you have to do any reinforcements? I seem to recall reading somewhere the stock H body chassis were notorious for flex.

Yes there are some reinforcements. The seams in the engine compartment have been welded and it has sub frame connectors. I believe that there was some cutting and strengthening at the passenger lower control arm mount to get the down pipe in.

I've got pictures of all that if anyone needs more information on how the frame connectors were made and the torque arm mount.
Send me a e-mail if you'd like them,
UR50SLO@aol.com

Thanks Carl. I am a member there and have had at least 26 H bodies since 1984. :D This little Vega is one of the straightest cars around. Never been hit. Southern NM car it's whole life. I have all sorts of D-rod for steering and I am going to make my crossmember out of square tubing. I am just concerned about the 3"downpipe I will have to build and the little oval in the lower frame that I will have to modify to make it fit without rattling. Yours looks awesome so far. I haven't even started cutting the firewall yet as I have to build my GN trans first and then get back onto the Vega. :smile:

Well, Eric, the Vega does have a lot less room, but it has been done. Check here if you are not already a member. The Official H-Body Internet Community • View new posts

ps. Mine's a hotair setup with a TA-49, MSD 50's, Comp Cams 206 roller, ported heads with big valves, modded hotair intake all on a 26,xxx mile engine. :cool:

I've got pictures of all that if anyone needs more information on how the frame connectors were made and the torque arm mount.
Send me a e-mail if you'd like them,
UR50SLO@aol.com

Thanks for jumping in, Scott. Eric, Scott is doing the swap for me. He is the guy to talk to. A real stand up guy.

Been a member there for a while myself. Your vega sound cherry! Wow 26 H bodys. You are a real fan. I always wanted a v8 vega gt when I was a kid. On to buicks now.

Had 2 '75 V8 Monza's. They were both made in Canada and 4 cars apart. 1st one (2.3litre I converted to 350) sold originally in Reno, NV to my uncle and the other (4.3litre I turned to 327) sold in Albq to the girl I got it from. All others were V6's and 4 cylinders. I only have one Monza left now and it is the 75 2+2 that had the 262 in it. I never did the V8 Vega thing. The Monza's were pretty fun. I wanted the V6 for the quiet and the weight savings and HP I can get out of it. Had a long way to go with the Buicks as I have only had 6 of them so far. ;) Those are much more expensive than the H bodies.

Thanks for jumping in, Scott. Eric, Scott is doing the swap for me. He is the guy to talk to. A real stand up guy.

Been a member there for a while myself. Your vega sound cherry! Wow 26 H bodys. You are a real fan. I always wanted a v8 vega gt when I was a kid. On to buicks now.

Here are some pics of what i have left. :smile: 1st is my 73 GT. 2nd is my 75 2+2 with the 327 and tunnel ram. 3rd is my other 75 taken right before I did the V8 swap.

Attachments

• 73gt002.jpg
    73gt002.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,048
  • dualquad.jpg
    dualquad.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,908
  • baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,616
Seems like most of these cars left this world way too soon, last Monza I recall seeing was in the late 80's.