Buick Grand National Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only like the way it looks when its down ---

I agree 100%,it looks amazing with the top down but when its up you can see the back window goes up at a angle foward instead of strait up,which makes the GN look like some other kind of vehicle that I cant seem to remember...And it looks like people in the rear seat would be hitting the rear window with their heads...

If the rear window followed the factory design it would be even nicer,imo...Still a awesome car and I would love to own it..Its like the GN cars,imo,look like crap with the t-tops out for some reason..I never ride with mine out..

This is what it reminds me of with the top up,it has the same lines as this lebaron,which makes it look like a small top on a big car...Again I really like the car and would love to own it and am not downing it at all just they didnt do the body lines right when they made the top is all..

Attachments

• 84lebaron.gif
    84lebaron.gif
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,356
It's like most convertibles. They look decent with the top down but loose their appeal with the top up.

It's like most convertibles. They look decent with the top down but loose their appeal with the top up.

True..I tried to do a add on real quick and it didnt look much better so like you said they just never look the same with the top up..

Attachments

• convertible GN.jpg
    convertible GN.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4,345
Found these two on the web...I think they were posted here also.

103.jpg

IMG_9245.jpg

If I remember correctly, the car pictured was for sale for something like 20K.:confused: If it's the same car, I talked to the owner at length about the car. It was converted to a GN from a N/A 83 or 84 Regal after the roof was cut off. I think the car was also done by Coachbuilders. Great looking car with the roof down. But, I agree that it just looks goofy with the top up. I'd have to do a hard shell boot with no top.
John

from the back it reminds me of a asc mustang. they do look cool, but convertable regals make me think of lowriders.

If I had a rotted t-top car I would think about it but for ten stacks I would buy another car:biggrin:

I knew a guy in the Chicago area did a bunch of G bodies including few GNs. Like the picture above, he used all the parts and mechanism from the early 80's, the square body Lebaron convertible. It fit like a glove. I was impressed by it but I wasn’t so sure about the stability with out a roof to go with the power of a GN.

Prasad:cool:

Regal nut, a new user here, I just bought the 87 vert that is in the bg show photos, saw it in a magazine when is was 18 years old and fell in love with it. I am a few miles away near Findlay and thought it was interesting someone from gburg was on this site. This one is a clone but appears to have all the correct gn goodies except the rear end. Maybe i'll see u around sometime.

i don't think a G body looks right as a convertible- with the top down, it's not so bad, but they just don't look right with the top up.
i think most places used the top assembly from a different GM car that was available as a convertible i nteh 80's- Riviera or El Dorado or something like that.
i'm still waiting for someone to build a GN aerocoupe. i think that would look pretty killer.. i know there was one guy not too long ago that was threatening to do it with some parts he scored very, very cheap from a junkyard MC aerocoupe..

Someone on this forum did build an Aerocoupe.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/me...4-grand-national-aerocoupe-its-happening.html

Regal nut, a new user here, I just bought the 87 vert that is in the bg show photos, saw it in a magazine when is was 18 years old and fell in love with it. I am a few miles away near Findlay and thought it was interesting someone from gburg was on this site. This one is a clone but appears to have all the correct gn goodies except the rear end. Maybe i'll see u around sometime.

Welcome to the club and congrats on a rare purchase.

Thank you. Been browsing around, looks like this is the place to put my own personal touches on this car. Kinda disappointing that it is now closing in on winter months, but I'm sure I'll have time for a few miles before snow flies and it's put up for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.