buick gn 11 sec recipe?

yt750

i have had a buick gn about 8 years ago....and i loved it...anyways i sold it ...and now i am going to buy another one.i was wanting to buy a gn or t-type...that already had mods and run perfect..but i cant seem to find exactly what i want. so i may buy a stock buick with around 45000 miles on it and start from there....i want the car to have dependability of a daily driver and run in the 11s on drag radials....what would be a good recipe for this?i dont want to go overkill....just 11s on radials....what would be the least parts recipe for this?thanks guys

Get the trans ready for action, and a good converter. Down pipe, Fuel system/chips, then turbo. Maybe Alky if your do not like race gas, then crank it up! Wheeeeee! Under $3000, easy! Don't go too small, you'll be upgrading every month! LOL

it is going to cost more than that if ya want it to run consisitant 11's on drag radials.
tranny upgrades: 300-600
turbo:800
injectors:350
downpipe:450
tires:320
intercooler:850
chip:100 or so
fuel system:200
intake:150 or so
scan tool:250
this is just the basics, you will run across more things as you go

First thing you will need is a scan tool and an accurate boost guage $250-350. Transmission work including external cooler $300-1500 depending on the condition of the trans at this time. Cant beat the TE44 for a solid 11 sec car. You can get a good used one for $500-600. Intercooler is not needed for 11's. Maybe just the neck mod $150-200. Tires 275-60-15 $300. Fuel system injectors, chips, and pump $350-500, depending on whether you buy new or used stuff. Downpipe with cut out $200-400, depending if you want the best there is. Single shot exhaust, not needed but should be on a street car $300-400. Air bags and poly bushings for rear end $150-200. Alky injection unless you plan on running 115 octane all the time $400-500 and if i were you i wouldnt want to get caught at 16 psi and 93 octane with no alky on the street. Time and patience, you put the price on that yourself.

If your not going to change tires at the track, and plan on running "normal" tires, your going to need some MPH and a bigger turbo than a 49 I would think. I'd say a TE61-GT67. Same price. More POW! That would go good with the high imp (z) 60lbs. and a chip, also around the same price as smaller stuff, but more rrom to grow.
Those turbos come in a smaller A/R turbine housing or a bigger one. Try the smaller one first, if you have too fast of spoolup, get the bigger housing.

Save up $15,000 to $30,000 cash and then do all the mods at once. Easier and cheaper in the long run.

I think for most people it would take a looooong time to save up that much money, and by then it would cost a bazillion $$$ for one of these cars, so why not buy now, enjoy, and work on it as you go. It's not about the destination, it's the journey, that makes it worth it. JMHO. :cool:

bison said:
First thing you will need is a scan tool and an accurate boost guage $250-350. Transmission work including external cooler $300-1500 depending on the condition of the trans at this time. Cant beat the TE44 for a solid 11 sec car. You can get a good used one for $500-600. Intercooler is not needed for 11's. Maybe just the neck mod $150-200. Tires 275-60-15 $300. Fuel system injectors, chips, and pump $350-500, depending on whether you buy new or used stuff. Downpipe with cut out $200-400, depending if you want the best there is. Single shot exhaust, not needed but should be on a street car $300-400. Air bags and poly bushings for rear end $150-200. Alky injection unless you plan on running 115 octane all the time $400-500 and if i were you i wouldnt want to get caught at 16 psi and 93 octane with no alky on the street. Time and patience, you put the price on that yourself.

Listen to Bison..... he is wise beyond his years......

The only thing I would change is I prefer the Hooker 2-1/2" cat back.... mandrel bent dual exhaust..... it flows real nice.... and doesn't have (according to many posts I read....) the dreaded drone that drives street car drivers nutz. The hooker system can be had for around $300 and can be installed in your garage.....

I wish it was as simple for me as installing a turbo and injectors. I am learning that it all has to work together. I bought my car for $7500 with a rebuilt motor all stock. It was in rough shape but $6000 (includes many small GM parts, $1400 in trans, new radiator, tires, vac brakes, etc.) later I am running 12.74. I need an intercooler or alky inj to do much more without running leaded fuel...

TE44 used $360
42.5lbs inj $300
3" downpipe $100 used
10" convertor $600
trans work $800
fuel pump w/hot wire $150
adjustable regulator $100
chip $70
intake (maf pipe & filter) $140
RJC plate $75
turbolink $200
wideband o2 $80
MAFII $250
LS1 MAF $70
M/T ET street tires $200
gauges $250
ignition coil $150 (gm with warranty)
module $150
taylor 10mm wires $80

Thats about $4000 in performance parts not including basic parts in need of replacement. I believe the car is low 12 capable but it's going to need the right chip and some cooler air 1st. Still needs suspension work and then some.

turbocody said:
it is going to cost more than that if ya want it to run consisitant 11's on drag radials.
tranny upgrades: 300-600
turbo:800
injectors:350
downpipe:450
tires:320
intercooler:850
chip:100 or so
fuel system:200
intake:150 or so
scan tool:250
this is just the basics, you will run across more things as you go
I agree with this parts list. Anything more and you are wasting $$ b/c you think you need too. Most of the ET on DR's will come from the proper turbo and matched converter but you need the fuel system to keep it alive.

KS :cool:

Save and pay more for a superb GN or TType example to start with.

If it is bone stock the first thing before even a tune up is a better in tank Fuel pump, sock, adjustable fuel psi reg (accufab) and hotwire. (racetronix pump hotwire combo is hard to beat)
Then a scantool I like the Scanmaster
Then Tune up i.e.- fuel filter, ac delco AFS-22 o2 sensor, ign tune up, no overheat, etc.
Install all the bracing available in car and replace missing body bushings add gnx ones. 11's is rollcage country if you frequent the track, though I think they loweered the ET a Bit now to 11.50's
Injecs- 50 or 55 lbers
Chip- Alky Turbo Tweak for the new injecs slap in a 160 tstat w/ billet neck when u get the chip make sure to let eric know when he does the burn.
Air intake- hardpipe and cone filter setup
Exhaust- 3"TH style DP w' cutout, hooker cat back with aerochambers (best bang for buck.
If motor is close to 60 k replace the timing chain and valve springs with Comp Cams 980's while in there replace the intake valve seals.
Turbo- GT6131E MID 11'S & GT6152 high tens with a convertor change. get an adjust wg atc, also get the turbo saver, this will increase total system oil psi and much better filtration. I like PTE
Tranny and stall- Gonna cost you... Upgrade to a large external trans cooler Go ahead and get the best trans you can while doing it. Pull yours and get best bands, clutches,billet and rollerized throughout, etc. As far as the stall lock or non 3000 rpm will be fine do not skimp here either. several vandors with great products. Century transmission, PTS, CK performance, Janis, etc
Rear end- girdle
Rear susp- Air bags, Boxed type arms uppers and lowers, with the uppers being adjustable for the pinion angle adjust.
Remove the front swaybar
Razors Alky kit (Alky Control)
Guages- boost, fuel psi, knock
Mickey thompson Drag Radials 275/50/15 on 8" rims
Big neck mod to the Stock IC

This combo will be fun on the street and with good tune and 60 foots you will be in the 11's with a some cash invested but you have to pay to play.
I am sure they are a few things I overlooked.

I agree with every post but, some parts you can get used and about half the price. I am a firm believer that SOME used parts are just as good as new. I watch the Parts for Sell forum constantly for good deals. Sometimes they are there and sometimes people are crazy! Ebay is a good source for some good stuff, just be careful and check feedback. I just bought a set of 10.4 Taylor wires from here for $60. Saved from $30-$50. Bought a set of NEW DRs for $200 plus $40 shipping from here also. Saved about $100-$150. Doesn't sound like much but $40 here and there adds up quick! Someone had a set of Motron 60's for $200 the other day. That is about $150 off new prices.
If you are going to upgrade, go a bit larger than what is needed. If you buy a new Turbo, why not go a little bigger and keep the boost down. You WILL want to go faster! ;) My car has had 42, 60 and now 72 pound injectors. What does that tell you, a lot of wasted money. Not saying build a beast but be prepared to spend. There are plenty of modified Buicks that run 11s all day for cheaper than you buying a stock one and then upgrading. I wish I would have waited for the "right one". I would be about $4000 to the good :D !

I'm on my fourth turbo and third set of injectors in under two years!! Just trying to save you some $$. GO BIG!

Be patient.. something is coming.. 11s will be no problem on your budget.

:D :D :D

IMO, make sure the Engine is sound before you bolt all those goodies on the engine. Compression test or even better a leak down test.

fc227 said:
IMO, make sure the Engine is sound before you bolt all those goodies on the engine. Compression test or even better a leak down test.
Absolutely