Buffing experts needed

I will agree with you hiboom as the wool pad is aggressive. I would recommend some serious evaluation as to what method is needed. I am still wanting to know from the op what the condition of the paint on his gn is. I quit using rotary buffers a couple years ago and now only use my variable speed da polisher as it is better (no swirls to deal with and does great correction with less heat) unless you need to do some serious cutting of the paint. It depends on how bad the paint really is as to which way of correction is needed.
The paint on my GN looks pretty good it was painted with base and clear coat about 10 years ago but has some spots where it looks like the trim pulled the paint off. I don't know if the paint was still wet when they installed the trim and it adhered to it but I need to touch it up and I thought I had to burn it in. But not sure about this process.

The wool pad is not as bad as u think it has a lot to do with what compound u use and how much cut it has also. But it also does depend on how the paint is to what u need and how far u want to take it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The paint on my GN looks pretty good it was painted with base and clear coat about 10 years ago but has some spots where it looks like the trim pulled the paint off. I don't know if the paint was still wet when they installed the trim and it adhered to it but I need to touch it up and I thought I had to burn it in. But not sure about this process.
Go to auto geek.net and read and videos

20140309_170244.jpg
Get yourself the 3M 3 step andstart from there

So the touch up needed will require wet sanding and a buff to blend it, but if it is near an edge or next to trim then touch up and leave it alone, very hard to get a 7" pad in a small area. The rest is in good condition I would use a da polisher with maguiars ultimate products that you can get at any large chain parts store or even walmart for 12 bucks a bottle. A da polisher can be had at harbor freight for about 60 bucks and then the pads, Total about 120 will get you what is needed to do it right with no swirls. This is what I use on my concours gold show car.

People who have never run a buffer before have no business with a wool pad and compound.
That goes double for wet sanding.

Get a foam pad and some foam pad polish. The buffer should have a variable speed dial and should be used on the lowest setting. It's hard to mess up with that.

Rick

If you ask a hundred guys, you'll get a hundred answers. Lots of different products and ways to get it done. Personally, I like 3M stuff. It doesn't just cover up the swirls with slime like some of the other leading brands do. I like doing my buffing at night, in my garage, under florescent lights. If you can make it look good there, it should look good anywhere. IMO, This stuff takes years to properly wrap your head around. While learning, You WILL burn though some paint. Take your time and don't use a nice paint job to try and figure it out on.

Happy Buffing.
Mike Barnard
Well said! Its not a procedure that can be done with excellent results for the beginner.
P.S. That's an AWESOME finish on your car!

The only suggestion I have is to cover the entire car with bed sheets except the area being buffed. I learned this the hard way. Once the buffing compound dries it is impossible to get it off the car. And with a rotary buffer it will spritz droplets of compound all over the place.

Same with any compound that gets into seams and such, remove it immediately.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. I don't believe I'm going to try it on my GN except where I'm fixing the paint. I think I will stick with my orbital on the rest of it.

The only suggestion I have is to cover the entire car with bed sheets except the area being buffed. I learned this the hard way. Once the buffing compound dries it is impossible to get it off the car. And with a rotary buffer it will spritz droplets of compound all over the place.

Same with any compound that gets into seams and such, remove it immediately.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Boy I agree it can be a night mare to get off or out of the seams hot water will help lift it we use a old car cover to help with the cover up

that is definitely pro grade material you use ! I like the 6" palm sander in tight areas takes a little longer but doesn't swirl as bad
This is what I finally went with, it was a toss up between this and the Maguiars,everything I read kept leading me back to these two.