Buddy's GN Died Suddenly No Spark???

DaveyX87

I am helping a friend with his GN. He was driving it like normal when all of a sudden it died and would not start. I checked that it was getting fuel pressure. I then checked the spark. It was not getting spark. I tried swapping coil pack. That didn't work. I checked fuses. I am now going to look for a loose or burnt wire. Any other tips will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might also want to change the ignition module. Had a similar issue replaced everything and all it turned out being was the module.

My guess would be the crank sensor is bad.

You said you don't have spark. Did you check also to see if you had injector pulse? you will need an noid light for this check they are available at the parts stores for about $8.00.

You can go to the site in this link and follow the troubleshooting tree.

vortexbuicks-etc.com

Here is a short cut that can/will save you some time on troubleshooting the no spark condition also.

Long ago, Jim Testa posted a "How To" get started in the trouble shooting. It is well worth reading in order to apply some logic to the process.

Below is a short cut derived from Jim's article. The below simply applies logic to the No Start troubleshooting trees and can save you a lot of time.

Assuming the battery is charged, the car has compression, and the fuel pressure is adequate, If you have:

no spark, but have injector pulse - Check the Ignition Module (also check the CCCI and ECM-IGN fuses)

have spark, but don't have injector pulse - Check the Cam Sensor or ECM

have no spark or injector pulse - Check the Crank sensor or the Ignition Module (and fuses)

This above is a very good way to cut to the chase and start zeroing in on the problem(s).

Last edited:
I had a ccci fuse blow on me. Found melted terminal in the module harness /connector. Fixed it best I could that day and installed TR6 I had sitting on the shelf. Meant to order a caspers connector or repin kit but haven't done it yet. Check ccci fuse and check terminals on the module connector really well.

Follow these guys advise and actually diagnose the problem. You don't learn anything from throwing parts at a car and just cost yourself money (unless you have known good spares laying around)

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

2 Pink/blk at the ign module must be hot. One at the end and the third in if memory serves me.

If so then crank or cam sensor as noted above.

great I think (no I know that if it wasn't for this site most of these gns would not have 3.8 turbo motors I them .I was almost there a.thanks to the guys on this site a.you know who they are when your down in a hole you type in help and you got at least 3 or 4 guys trying to help.and most of the time you keep that v6 turbo in there .cause it's running great again .thanks to you all a.god bless