Brown coolant after pump change.

CzyKats44

This is the way.
Sooooo, any reason my fresh coolant is now brown after a water pump change and complete fresh water rinse?

Long bolts got thread sealer and short bolts got antisieze.

Oil level is unchanged and the oil is clean and clear with no evidence of coolant contamination.

ATF is clean and clear as well.

Attachments

• 1437756073024.jpg
    1437756073024.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 117
Sure there is. A rinse does not always get everything out. Probably something left in the bottom of the water passages or the heater core.

Get some RMI-25 in there with distilled water and it will clean it up & keep it from corroding .

Sooooo, any reason my fresh coolant is now brown after a water pump change and complete fresh water rinse?

Long bolts got thread sealer and short bolts got antisieze.

Oil level is unchanged and the oil is clean and clear with no evidence of coolant contamination.

ATF is clean and clear as well.

Please tell me you DID NOT put Dexcool in!!

Coolant color about 100 miles earlier.

Attachments

• 1437772850379.jpg
    1437772850379.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 124
I battled the brown coolant for a long time, finally swapped out the radiator and cut the old one in half. The bottom 3" of the radiator was clogged with a silt like brown mud.

I battled the brown coolant for a long time, finally swapped out the radiator and cut the old one in half. The bottom 3" of the radiator was clogged with a silt like brown mud.

That's pretty much what I was figuring ... I think I just disturbed the top layer of it with the hose. Now it's just breaking up some.

Just get a new fbody radiator to replace that old one. Reflush the system before installing it to remove any leftover crap so it doesn't get in the new radiator.

You can find new fbody radiators on ebay for $78.00 shipped.

I was going to get you the ebay item number for the fbody radiator but it is sold out, he had 80 of them.

Autozone has them for $90.00 plus tax with a lifetime warranty. My local store has them in stock,not sure all stores stock them though.

No prob, I'll shop around. It gives me more options. It's not a race car so a replacement will be a 100% upgrade from the old shit anyway.