Broken mount tab on plenum???

veedubcrazy

I took this pic of what I think is a cracked mount tab on the intake plenum. Here it is...
Picture031-3.jpg

Picture030-3.jpg

Relatively easy to replace? Should there be some type of phenolic block underneath? The second pic shows something like that, I just am not sure...

Dave

Not a hard fix. Someone has installed a plenum spacer. Going to need shorter bolts if your going to do away with the spacer. I would scrap the spacer and get a power plate. Bolts are 8 x 1.25. The length of the bolts you need I'm not sure about.

Not a hard fix. Someone has installed a plenum spacer. Going to need shorter bolts if your going to do away with the spacer. I would scrap the spacer and get a power plate. Bolts are 8 x 1.25. The length of the bolts you need I'm not sure about.

What is a power plate? I am going about this fixing things that have gotten neglected, abused or broke due to use...

i bet your car ran like crap that would cause a major vaccum and boost leak. also get rid of those mechanical gauges. you dont want that plastic oil pressure line melting and losing your motor. get electrical

There are a lot of little things I have to get fixed before I can get it on the road. And thanx for the link explaining what a power plate is...

i bet your car ran like crap that would cause a major vaccum and boost leak. also get rid of those mechanical gauges. you dont want that plastic oil pressure line melting and losing your motor. get electrical

You run either a braided line to the firewall & plastic or copper inside the car or Copper all the way. I use braided to the firewall connection & I like my Mechanical guages. So dont say Get Rid of them as they work very well. Just the plastic line needs improvement in his case.

PS: Get Rid of that Torque Strap you have & get some Good Quality motor mounts instead. Much better IMO.
Of course this is Only my Opinion & to each his own.

You run either a braided line to the firewall & plastic or copper inside the car or Copper all the way. I use braided to the firewall connection & I like my Mechanical guages. So dont say Get Rid of them as they work very well. Just the plastic line needs improvement in his case.

That plastic line runs from the turbo back to a gauge inside the car. I agree, it could melt under extreme conditions and I am open to replacing it.

And that power plate, did the factory ever put anything like that under the plenum to begin with? To me, it seems like a restrictor plate...

Might as well

The plate is meant to redistribute the air flow towards the front cylinders. I don't know this firsthand, but the factory setup tends to flow towards the back two cylinders, making them run leaner than the front ones. Do a search here--lots of people have used them. Pretty cheap, and since you're going to be there anyway.............

The plate is meant to redistribute the air flow towards the front cylinders. I don't know this firsthand, but the factory setup tends to flow towards the back two cylinders, making them run leaner than the front ones. Do a search here--lots of people have used them. Pretty cheap, and since you're going to be there anyway.............

Well, I did check the site and I am guessing since I have a stock plenum, then the first one listed would be the one...

Either way, first thing is to get that plenum welded. I found one in about a five minute search in the for sale section for $25, but the post was dated March 24. Contact forcefed3.8's, he might still have it.

^^^^ Thanx for that.... I wish G-Body Parts would hurry up and send the LCA's I ordered from the 2 weeks ago yesterday. That way, I can at least get it out of the garage on level ground and cross that job off the list.

I did look at bigger than stock plenums and they are moderately priced... It is tempting...:p

Some would say it's not necessary. Lots of people go fast without them, but on the other hand, who cares what other people say? When you say larger I assume you mean inlet diameter, but then you need a matching throttle body, correct?

Good point, guess I will stick with stock. I pm'ed the guy with the stock plenum and hopefully he/she still has it...

I will wait a couple of days first... A swap with a good stock intake would be just easier to do than trying to find a weld shop willing to do the job here...

Mine was cracked in almost the same location when i took it off hadn't gone all the way through i orderd one from RJC also get rid of the spacer and order a power plate from RJC the whole thing sits too high with the space ask me how i know :biggrin: that's the exact set up that was on my car

I chose to get a good used plenum and have it powder-coated low gloss black. I just figured it would be easier to replace than to repair. I will post up pics when its all said and done. Should look good... :)