Broken mount tab on plenum???

Well, its was a very good deal to get the plenum and powdercoat. Just could not pass it up... Your in Pasadena... Thats around the corner...

Dave, you have till Sunday night to change your mind on the color........:biggrin:

Here are some close up shots of the cracked intake plenum I took off today. Thing was covered in crud and took a little bit of elbow grease, not to mention hot water and soap with a brush to get it all knocked off. Once cleaned up, I blew compressed air from the outside into the crack and sure enough, it leaked out residue left from cleaning. No doubt, it was a vacuum leak...:eek:

Picture183.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Now that a good plenum is on the way to replace the cracked one I have, another problem has cropped up. I need to replace the plenum to intake gasket and my connection at a local Chvy dealership says that particular gasket is no longer carried. I gave him PN #25525140 and it is discontinued. No luck with O'Reilly or Autozone either. Where can I get this??? :confused:

I did find the throttle body to plenum gasket is carried locally though...

Order a RJC powerplate. It comes with two gaskets, one for each side of the plate.

David
87gn

This sounds crazy, and I haven't done it myself, but I read in a post here that one guy makes his own out of cereal boxes. Like I said before, the powerplate is fairly cheap.

A cereal box? Well, okay... I did check my tool box and found some gasket material, so I just cut one out. I used a spent 9mm shell to punch out the bolt holes...It works...

One question though, do I use any type of sealant on the gasket? Like Permatex???

Couldn't hurt I suppose, but the factory gaskets went in dry. I guess it would depend on the gasket material. I reused the old one. It was intact and had no sealent on it when it came out. Time will tell if that was a smart move or not.

Does GM still make the plenum? I bought a couple a few years ago along with extra gaskets I think.

Got the plenum today which was uncracked. Also, it was powdercoated a low gloss black. Looked good. I went to Autozone and got studs and nuts instead of the bolts and wave washers that were used. New gasket that I cut and viola, it was on. Looks very good and not much trouble putting it on. I will take a pic of it and post it here. Thanx Ron...

'course, I found that I need new throttle shaft seals but thats for another day...:tongue:

Hmmm, I think you'll find you will need throttle shaft seals, plus some more. The thing is, once you start pumping things up, the weak link fails. That's why there are vendors. PM me and I'll come out to La Porte.

What size MAF pipe are you running? If you are using a 4" pipe and a stock plenum you will have to reuse the plenum spacer for everything to clear.

Hang on, lemme dig in my pix...

Okay, here are a couple. If you can tell thru pix, your good. I have not checked it...

Picture160.jpg

Picture025-4.jpg

Now please remember, this is how I got the car. Don't flamespray me on account of something that looks wrong or is.... I am getting it together slowly when I can...