BROKEN KEYWAY ON BILLET CAM

Neal, is there a needle bearing assembly in there? Seems I have my timing chain sprocket, cam gear, aluminum spacer and ARP bolt. Am I missing something? Do you happen to have a pic of all the parts?

Jeremy,

The set up is similar in concept to the one Webber sells. There is a needle bearing thrust button on the forward end of the bolt which must be shimmed to give the proper end play. There is also a needle bearing thrust washer between the aft face of the flange and the forward face of the block.

Neal

Mine is from Zimmerman. I don't have the needle bearing assemblies and wonder if I'm supposed to. I'll call Nick (y)

Mine is from Zimmerman. I don't have the needle bearing assemblies and wonder if I'm supposed to. I'll call Nick (y)

If you got the parts from Zimmerman thru Nick don't need a needle bearing thrust on the end of the cam. Nick gets the parts from TA so it's their version of the Danny Bee set up.

Neal

If you got the parts from Zimmerman thru Nick don't need a needle bearing thrust on the end of the cam. Nick gets the parts from TA so it's their version of the Danny Bee set up.

Neal
Yeah I got it from Nick too. I talked to him to verify I got the right stuff. I'll take a better look at it before I assemble soon as my rod bearings come in.

so what was the resolution on this, need to machine the gear and add a spacer to get proper clamping ?
I am working on my billet setup and leaning towards the Danny Bee style on a 218/218

The Weber setup has its own fun as well like the cam end play changing every time the front cover is disturbed. Different gasket, end play changes, torque the front cover end play changes. I went through this pain 17 years ago, snapped the timing chain, broke the woodruff key, bent the valves, great fun. I would think after 30 years there would be a bullet proof setup available to the masses but I get the feeling the best tricks are held very close by the top engine builders. Thanks for sharing your findings Neal!

Mike

T/A bolt torqued to 75ft*lb

17F10307-39B3-4EE4-BC6E-E9BB824BD7E7.jpeg

I spoke to Weber about a year ago on their setup. It is my understanding that their setup requires a machined pocket in the front cover for proper end play clearance. Without their machining, the cover can't be installed due to interference.

Imo the Danny Bee configuration should be avoided unless you are a machinist or have a machinist buddy that can correct the problems pointed out. The Weber setup is similar to other setups out there that were used successfully in the past. DLS has one that worked similar to Weber’s. The machining of the can is required. The cam sensor should have some backlash when everything is assembled. If us doesn’t it will fail. Oiling the gears will increase longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk