Brighter headlights

saywin

Fletch
How do you get your headlights brighter. I did see a harness to purchase at one of the sites. Is that what you need to buy? If anyone has experince in this arena, please let me know.

How do you get your headlights brighter. I did see a harness to purchase at one of the sites. Is that what you need to buy? If anyone has experince in this arena, please let me know.
------------------------------
May I suggest trying Sylvania Silverstar ultras and you do not think that is enough then add the wiring upgrade kit?
I installed the Sylvania Silverstars about 2 years ago but will eventually upgrade to the Sylvania Silverstar ultras when I get a chance. The Sylvania Silverstars do not have a blue light, but they have an extreme white light that by itself is an improvement over the old yellow lights. I am extreme happy with the Sylvania Silverstars, but will install the ultras just to have them.

Which ones are you referring to Wells?

1987 BUICK Regal

Low beam headlamp
H4656
H4656ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H4656XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: 3x brighter; 2x the life
H4656CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal
H4656LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts 6x longer

Oops, to be honest, I really don't know. I bought mine about 2 years ago and at that time,. they had 2 versions available, 1 brighter than stock and 1 brighter than that one. I saw an add recently on tv for Silverstar ultras, and figured that I would upgrade min sometime. Mine are extremely white, but not blue. I replaced low and high beams, even though I never use my high beams. I am going to do the wiring upgrade when i get a chance.

Thses are what you want. Go to the store and they can look it up too. H4656ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

Jason

Thses are what you want. Go to the store and they can look it up too. H4656ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

Jason

Yep, those are what I have. Once you drive with those for a while, you won't wan't to go back to the standard old yellowish lights.

FWIW,I put all 4 on and love em.I think I got them at schucks for about 50 bucks total on sale

You can "hotwire" the headlights, like a fuel pump. On my '87 GN, with it running I had 13.65 volts at the headlamp socket, showed 14.1 on scanmaster, so .5volts I wasn't too worried. But.......

On my '81 El Camino (Which looks to have much smaller gauge wiring) had right at 12.00 volts with it running, and showed around 14 volts on the autometer gauge, a loss of 2 volts! In addition to purchasing the 4656ST silverstars, I bought the materials needed to make a hotwire kit. I ran 10 gauge wire from the back of the alternator to a relay (which I still need to add an inline fuse:eek: ), and then 10 gauge wire to the headlight sockets on each side. Used 10 gauge ground for the relay also. Relocated the headlight wire from the drivers side socket to the relay for the turn on. On my elky, I also replaced the ground wires to the headlights with 10 gauge wire. Now, if anything there is more volts going to the headlights than the volt gauge, with the car running it shows 14.1 volts. It is very BRIGHT:D On dims it is brighter than when I switch to Brights (as the brights do not use the relay and I didn't swap the inner headlights to the silverstars) I would try it on the GN too, but for .5 volts, I'm not going to mess with it.

For the price of the pre-made harness, you can make your own and purchase the low & high beam silverstars to go with it!

Hm...interesting. I have a million-and-one things I wanna do for my car this year, but I sure am sick of the dim yellow headlights. Guess I'll add these to my list.

I never did check voltage to my headlights,the old ones weren't even halogen.The silverstars were so much brighter I didn't bother!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information, that's great stuff. Man I love this website!!!!

I bought the Silverstars. After 2 failures within 2 years, I went back to regular lights.

:cool:
check out this site.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I'm running his relays & #12 wiring to the halogin lights - wow what a difference.

I'm in the process of installing his projector lights with HID conversions & expect them to be even better.

I highly recommend heaver gauge wiring - the original Buick wiring was barely adequate with the original headlighte & any better light, including the Silverstars will bennefit with upgraded wiring.

I have had headlight switch failure on my Pontiac & recommend relays to reduce load on the switch.
:biggrin:

i have a set of HIDS in my GN

i also sell HIDS, and if you guys were interested could work a group buy for you.

HIDS work 10000000X better than any other bulb setup out there.

50% brighter 60% less current draw!