break in mistake?

turbotoyz

under reconstruction!
rebuilt my engine got it all back in and started it, started good started cam breakin but had a miss (dident know what it was at the time it dident act like a miss) found a plug cracked. replaced the plugs to make sure , in the mean time the motor has idled and been reved for 1.5 hours have not done the full 2000 for 20 breakin. the car runs and idles great, am i going to have any problems? TIA

turbotoyz

So you're saying you haven't really broken in the cam yet? If so its probably junk. They are very sensitive like that. Its your call, but 1.5 hours of idling would kill a cam that wasn't broken in. JMO

I wouldn't call it junk yet. When breaking in my cam I had an oil leak at the turbo and then again had a faulty Temp sensor reading of 285 and both times I shut it off in the middle of the break in. After the fix I started it right back up and immediatly kicked it back up to 2000 or so for 20 mins. The cam break in is critical but if the car shut off in the middle of the break in but the car is not idled for more than a few seconds and your RPM is kept 1500+ for most of that time of its running, there is a good chance it will be ok. The higher RPMs helps keep the cam covered in oil and keeps debree off of it. Take a look at the oil and check for an excessive amount of metal trash. If it is going to die, then it will not nessasarily be immediate, a wiped lobe will be very noticable if it was bad right now so Check the oil and listen to the motor very closely for a tap that gets louder or a rough idle or anything fishy. Good luck

thats what is weird the motor sounds awsome and i have even driven it and it is cool as far as i can tell. sounds good at idle but when i did my 2000 for 15 the headers got bright red which is normal i have read and the turbo which is brand new has some steam comming off of it. so i shut it down and have not messed with it. i did idle it right off when i started it to make sure all was goin to happen then i had to chase a miss and i did idle the car, what would be your next step from here start thinking of a new cam or try breakin again??

You said you idled and reved it for 1.5 hours right? Thats a lot different than what you did JD