Brand new axle seal leaking

87-WE2

Back in business!!
OOoohh what fun!!

Last week, I put new brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and brake hardware on the rear. In the process I found out that my driver's side axle seal was leaking (not the wehee cylinder as suspected). I replaced the axle seal. Got the new tires on & thought I had it made. Go out to the garage a couple days later and.....SAME axle seal leaking.

I had bought two axle seals at the parts store (both the same part#), but one was made in Mexico and one in Taiwan. I had originally intended to replace BOTH, but decided not to do the passenger side since it wasn't leaking. I put the Taiwan seal in. It fit VERY tight, but went in evenly all the way around.

The reason I put the Taiwan seal in was because I noticed it had a circular spring on the inside of the seal, just like the one I pulled from the axle housing. The Mexico one did not.

I do remember noting when I pulled the axle that there was an EVER SO SLIGHT, tiny-very-narrow groove on the axle where the rubber seal rode on it. I am 100% positive that there was no groove on the axle where it met the bearing - it was very shiny & smooth.

I also remember when pounding the new seal in, that the red paint that was on the outside of the seal (the part that meets the axle housing) was flaking off. I just scraped it off with my fingernail, and went on about my business.

Please help out a dummy - Any thoughts? Is it possible that the axle housing is damaged on the inside where the seal goes? SHould I try the other (Mexico) seal without the circular spring inside of it?

The car's up on stands right now until I get this gear oil leak figured out because I don't want to throw gear oil all over my new shoes and tire. The oild seems to be coming from between the axle housing and the seal, rather than from between the axle and the rubber sealing surface.

They make a axle saver bearing/seal that moves the seal out to a flat place on the axle.

Most parts houses have them on the shelf very common item

quick search of AZ, OReilly, Napa, and Advance yielded no results.
I checked axle sleeve and came up with some results @ Advance, but it appears to be a sleeve for the pinion seal:confused::confused::confused:

Pull it back down and inspect the axle. You may have a grooved axle that will require replacement, or the use of the aforementioned axle saver to move the seal to another area. If that is the case, get an RP5707 repair bearing from the parts house, as it is everything you need to save the axle. You may have a bad axle bearing that is allowing the axle to move excessively, causing the seal to leak again. On the other hand, you may just have dislodged the spring from the seal, causing the leak, or otherwise nicked the seal when reinstalling the axle. I would get another seal and axle bearing, and make plans to change them out. Get a bearing puller from the parts house, too, as you will need it to pull the bearing from the axle housing. Counterman.

quick search of AZ, OReilly, Napa, and Advance yielded no results.
I checked axle sleeve and came up with some results @ Advance, but it appears to be a sleeve for the pinion seal:confused::confused::confused:

Part Number: TRP1563TAV

Just checked AZ and walla

thanks turbo nasty and counterman.

Have either of you used either of these with success?? I've read reviews of each, and there's quite a few reviews that say these things leak - which is wwhere I currently am.

Like I said on the original post, I didn't have a groove on the bearing surface of the axle, so I don't think the bearing's bad or the axle. There was an ever so tiny groove on the axle where the seal was (i think it might have actually been more residue from a 25 year old seal than anything). I hate to try another piece that may or may not work. I'd rather just do it right the first time.

let me know if either of you, or anyone else who reads this, have used either of these parts with success. If I don't get any positive feedback, I may just go ahead & replace the axles.

Just want to do it right.

I dont have the problem with gear oil coming through the seal. I have a problem with the grease leaking out on the outside. Both seals have been replaced but some how I have grease shooting out from bearing, is there a fix for that??

I dont have the problem with gear oil coming through the seal. I have a problem with the grease leaking out on the outside. Both seals have been replaced but some how I have grease shooting out from bearing, is there a fix for that??

Moving,
This was an old thread I started about a year ago. I have since resolved the problem I had.

My problem was that the gear oil was leaking between the outside edge of the seal and the axle housing. I have since gotten it to seal with a new seal + a thin skin of The Right Stuff by Permatex. It seemed to work like a charm.

You say you're having grease shooting out from the bearing? I'm not sure what you mean because the bearing is inside the axle housing, on the inside of the seal. As far as I know, there is no grease in that bearing - it is lubed by the gear oil in the rear end.

Vent tube plugged up? This will force the oil out through the path of least resistance....

When I went to get the seal that goes on the most outter edge ( the first one that the axle slides through) I had to get the whole piece that has the bearing and both seals in it that slides into the axle tube. There is a seal on the inside and a seal on the outside of the bearing housing. Is this the bearing that gets lubed by the gear oil?? because I didnt relize that the gear oil went to the outside edges of the tubes.

I don't know, yours sounds different than mine. See the attached exploded view I found - it is not technically of exactly our rear ends, but it's similar enough to do the job.

When I pulled my axle, I popped out the axle seal with a claw hammer. That is the outer-most piece right by the axle flange. It fits into the axle housing. It's number 33 on the diagram. I can get you a part number for the Timken one that finally actually sealed for me, but it can be found on autozone.com - that's where I got mine. The AC parts were Taiwanese and Mexican. They did NOT seal.

I didn't pull any other parts out of my housing other than the axle and the seal. My bearing surface on the axle was smooth and there was no play in the bearing.

The diagram shows the seal, the bearing, and mystery piece #35 (it's not shown on the list of parts). Maybe one of the smart guys can give some insight as to what it is. Like I said, I didn't get that far into mine. I just wanted to fix an oil leak. And yes, gear oil goes all the way out to the end of the housing. There's about 3 or 4 ounces on my garage floor from the leak at the seal that I had. Glad to have it fixed. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Axle exploded.pdf
    382.9 KB · Views: 294
Havent seen it on GM but a on a Ford 8.8 which is darn near identical they have a rubber oring/grommet...more like a oring or is a oring that goes over the end of the axle and resides in the c- clip groove simply to hold the c clips in place while pulling axle back to seat c clip and put cross shaft in.

But you would think that would be drawn on the IPB by the axle or by the c clip

IDK???

Be sure to wipe a little oil on the seal lip and around the surface of the axle where the seal rides prior to installing the axle. Also be real careful not to let the axle shaft ride the seal as you slide the axle in place, as that can damage the small lip that actually seals it.

The diagram shows the seal, the bearing, and mystery piece #35 (it's not shown on the list of parts). Maybe one of the smart guys can give some insight as to what it is.
That pic looks like an old GM axle without C clips holding the axles in. The extra part that mounts to the axle shaft is the bearing retainer.;)