Brand New 1987 Grand National/GNX Grilles and Headlight Bezels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd buy a set of taillight bezels if you made them.

So far have found ONE set on ebay and they're $700!!!!

I will be taking pre-orders at Bowling Green next week and I will say for the first time here, that shortly following the Buick Nationals the prices will be going up $20 for the grille, $20 for the headlight bezels and $20 for an order for all 3 pieces. There are a host of unforeseen reasons for this. All pre-orders already placed and those taken by the date I announce here in the next few days will receive the current, too low pricing. Also, we are trying as hard as we can to have parts for you to see at Bowling Green. :)

If the bezels have to out gas, then why did GM make CHROME covered/painted abs bezels? I have a few sets and they are not warped or flaking. Aren't there oils in the abs and when they dry out, that is when they crack and warp? Just curious, as the only really warped, cracked, faded bezels I have seen have been the black ones. I have a bunch of those also.

Out gassing does happen to the chromed ABS bezels too. They only coat one side and the back is left bare to out gas as well as it can. The more extreme the temperature range the more they will out gas and slowly warp. The black bezels get ridiculuously hotter than the reflective, chrome coated ones in the sun, so have a much shorter life of perfection. Given enough time I would expect the chrome ones to warp a bit too, but never even close to as quickly as the black ones. ABS plastic doesn't tend to get brittle and crack, it tends to warp enough over time that it can crack because of the shape change. My understanding is that there are not "oils" in the plastic that dry out in any way.

Here are some pics of the chromed ones and they are coated on both sides. I even flaked a bit off of the back, to show it. I do belive that being black is why they warp and fade. How many samples have you made and how have you tested them for warpage and fading? Don't get me wrong, I think it is great someone is trying to repoduce a needed part. I just want to justify buying yours versus an original that has been around for 20 years.

Attachments

• gn parts 021.jpg
    gn parts 021.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 87
  • gn parts 022.jpg
    gn parts 022.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 89
I am going to have to speculate here. 1 of 2 things happened with the chrome bezels: 1. The bezel can still out gas through the unfinished back surface; or 2. They didn't realize that what they did isn't optimal. I also considered that perhaps they weren't concerned because they knew the chromed bezels never reach the temperature the black bezels do. However, many newer ABS parts, made with superior UV protectants in the material today are left bare on the backside for out gassing.

I have already been through a long list of reasons to buy these exact reproductions to protect the value of your original parts. If you do not care about originality and only care about the looks and value you are getting for your money, our reproductions are the clear choice over NOS. Can we prove they will last as long or longer than originals? Only based on past experience from other parts made, these have never been reproduced before. There is a lot of experience with the exact material however. If you get it and don't like it, send it back. I can tell you the reproductions will have superior UV protection.

I should add that the price will be going up within the next day or 2 and will be more than the $20 stated above. We have no choice. People who pre-ordered already or do so before we make the change on the website are getting a heck of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.