Brand New 1987 Grand National/GNX Grilles and Headlight Bezels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job on this. Hopefully you do well..........and the guys trying to get rich off NOS parts will take notice.

I have no problem at all with the NOS stuff pricing as high as it is, it is getting very rare. ABS plastic parts such as these actually start to wear just by being on the car in temperature changes or in sunlight, so brand new original parts won't be around forever if they are actually used on a car that is driven. I have been through all the data on other part releases like these but for other collector cars and the NOS part prices actually end up a little higher usually. Clearly if you want your car to be original for investment reasons, the parts we are making are not for you. However, as original part prices rise, which we all expect they will do, I really believe that taking them off the car and replacing them with these new, low cost reproductions is the smart thing to do to protect them. They can't get stolen, fade in sunlight, warp because of temperature change or hit something and break if they are stashed in your closet at home. Our low cost, exact reproductions help protect your original parts as they continue to increase in value and make your car look sharp at the same time :)

The 1987 Grand National/GNX grille is a pinnacle piece. So many owners of 1984, 1985 and 1986 Regals bought them because it is so nice and just swapped it into their car. We have no intention of doing any parts from 1984, 1985 or 1986. The market is just too small compared to the massive investment it takes to get a project rolling, We have thought about the tail light bezels... but the demand isn't as high as for the front end stuff.

You think you underestimated it? Just think of all of the cloners, and owners who want to keep spares, and accidents in the future. I think you can sell thousands of them, and as you said the 84's-86's are using them too. I also think you would sell thousands of rear taillight bezels. I know from my own experience that the black is wearing off just from years of washing the car! I would love to buy these right now, but financial times are rough and I hope to be able to get these in the late fall or winter. I just can't afford them right now. I am sure you will continue to sell these for years though if you choose to produce more. Just think of the parts selling for GTOs, Chevelles, and such.

Just pre-orderd mine if its like all the other stuff baught from Ted it will be a1 perfect thanks for the info by the way your the man

I have no problem at all with the NOS stuff pricing as high as it is, it is getting very rare. ABS plastic parts such as these actually start to wear just by being on the car in temperature changes or in sunlight, so brand new original parts won't be around forever if they are actually used on a car that is driven. I have been through all the data on other part releases like these but for other collector cars and the NOS part prices actually end up a little higher usually. Clearly if you want your car to be original for investment reasons, the parts we are making are not for you. However, as original part prices rise, which we all expect they will do, I really believe that taking them off the car and replacing them with these new, low cost reproductions is the smart thing to do to protect them. They can't get stolen, fade in sunlight, warp because of temperature change or hit something and break if they are stashed in your closet at home. Our low cost, exact reproductions help protect your original parts as they continue to increase in value and make your car look sharp at the same time :)

The rear black taillight bezels would be great!!!!!:eek:

Let's see how things go with the grilles and headlight bezels and then we can address the tail light bezels if there is enough interest. We are off to a fine start. I think those that pre-order and get them before they are gone will be very happy when they see the value and quality of the product.

the grill and lights look really good !You'll make big bucks if you did doors and floor pans etc.:cool: there's a market big time having to buy used doors with minor defects and going to the junkyard to cut out a floor is a mission,hope your our Buicks savior ;)
I have a pair of used GN doors that came off my restored Buick that was totaled trying to avoid an accident on the freeway by an uninsured disenfranchised illegal. I need to sell them cause it keeps reminding me of that. Since they are so heavy I can only offer them as pickup only.

I meant to say that it's a safe bet that we won't be getting involved in the sheet metal business anytime soon.

One of the things we considered before going ahead and reproducing new 1987 grilles and headlight bezels was whether or not old grilles and headlight bezels could be "refinished". They can't. Sure there are people that will paint them and they may look close to original finish, but they will never be exact and with time they cannot hold up. ABS plastic MUST out gas as it changes temperature. Any type of paint or coating inhibits this from happening. That is why originals have no coating or paint on them. One or both of two things will happen over time to a painted original grille or bezel: 1. It will warp. 2. It will peel. Both because of the out gassing. If you want something that will last you will need new, original or reproduction. Painting original pieces may look good at first, but you will only be buying junk in the long run.

I have a pair of used GN doors that came off my restored Buick that was totaled trying to avoid an accident on the freeway by an uninsured disenfranchised illegal. I need to sell them cause it keeps reminding me of that. Since they are so heavy I can only offer them as pickup only.

Goodmark is a great company to try and convince to make sheet metal for these cars!

I also say +1 on the demand for more grilles and bezels plus the tails too.

I think you are right on both accounts because we won't be doing sheetmetal and we believe in the demand for the grilles and headlight bezels too lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.